Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1:12 COMPETITIVE SETUP, CHEAP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1:12 COMPETITIVE SETUP, CHEAP?

Hey guys, i could really use some help. I have pretty much a 15 year old rc12l. Ive been running an old school parma super stock 25t with some of those new 17.5's at the track, its a tight turny track and i currently have a 22 pinion with a 96 spur. Some guy gave me a green machine pro 3 and it seems my old dyno'd and tuned super stock is a bit faster, im wondering with brushed motor will keep up with the newer brushless. As it is right now i run similar if not the same lap times as the faster guys at the track. Now yes it is on carpet, and i have my own trued tires which run great along with the new paragon stuff. And i picked up a package on ebay which consisted of 3 matches packs. They are known as e-stormo and with a full charge my voltmeter is reading 5.5-5.7 volts and are 4500mah, these are way better than my old school 1800 nicd batteries. im already getting almost 20 minutes of high speed runtime with these batteries. so heres the final question. What can i either do. buy a newer brushed motor, slightly modify this green machine or my old b&r bullets. i need some guidence lol thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sounds like all you need is to gear up a bit. A 22 pinion is very short gearing for a stock motor with a 96 spur. I'd go up to a 30 and maybe a bit more depending on the motor.

There's no reason a good 27 turn stocker can't keep up with or beat the brushless motors... it's more work with the maintenance involved, but definitely doable.

There's also no reason your 12l can't still compete. Does your car have the symmetrical t-bar, or the older non-symmetrical one? If it's the older type, that might be the only issue... I'm not sure you can even get the older style t-bars anymore, and they do wear out after several race days.

I'm assuming you race at Madness in Enfield? IF not, please let me know where you race... I might be in need of a place to go soon...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

i believe it is symmetrical. but how can i tell exactly? and i just had a throught to put a hydrolic shock on there, what do you think?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The old style T-bar wasn't a perfect T. One of the legs where it bolts to the lower pod plate was longer than the other one. New T-bars are a true T. If it's the old one I know a shop that still has a few in the parts bin.

Also, it definitely sounds like you could go up a few teeth on the pinion.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LuV JSwiFF
i believe it is symmetrical. but how can i tell exactly? and i just had a throught to put a hydrolic shock on there, what do you think?
wingracer is right on the t-bar... the new style has the two outer holes at the rear equidistant from the center. THe older style has those two outer holes spaced very different from each other.

Still wondering if you race at madness in enfield? I'm in NY, but close to CT and I see you're in oxford... a track near oxford would be a LOT closer run than enfield for me...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

well what are you lookin to race boss? theres a pretty cool indoor offroad track in waterbury, then we have gas outdoor in wolcott
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

1/12 carpet is my thing, I was hoping to find something closer than Enfield...