Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chassie Tweek on TC3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Chassie Tweek on TC3

I have a FT TC3 that I have started to race. I have heard of problems w/ chassie tweek. What is it? Is this a problem with the plastic chassies or the Graphite ones? How can I prevent it or minimize the effects of it?

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

tweak is basically when the chassis is twisted, either laterally (side to side) or linearly (i think thats the word) but thats front to back, and it happens on just about every car, so what you do to compensate it is set your car up, fully loaded ready to race minus body, on a tweak board, and add or remove preload on the shocks according to what the level gauge says, someone at your track should be able to help you out with that. hope this helps. the tc3 usually doesnt tweak that bad, at least not with the stock chassis, i run the IRS chassis, so it requires me to check it more often, just to be sure.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also...... watch that you dont over torque the outside motor screw (the one with the spring on it) It may be obvious, but I see quite a few people who really torque down on it, defeating it's purpose,just leave some space between the coils........also make sure your shocks are all of equal length,this way if you do start having a tweak issue like the car pulling, or turns better in one direction than the other ,you can be pretty sure that the chassis itself is the culprit..........you could take a dozen of the molded tub chassis and every one will be slightly different,this is one of the reasons alot of guys switch to a pure carbonfiber chassis like the BMI or warpspeed............hope this helps some
Old 11-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

I've never used a spring on the motor screws. Just set the tweak after it's tightnend down. Also the shock length means nothing since the introduction of droop screws. They never use all there travel with them so the length doesn't matter.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Not that this should be a picking apart of others advice, but now that youve headed things in that direction "here goes"..... I cant see how disreguarding the spring on the motorclamp "which by the way" is one of the most suseptable areas on the stock chassis to incur excessive tweak and then try and dial it out every time you disturb the original setting being good advice.......reguardless of what you understand or think "it's there for a reason"........ otherwise mabe give associated a call and explain to them how much money they could have saved by taking the little worthless spring out all the kits for all these years.....im sure they'll be quite appreciative.......and "yes" shock length wont matter "IF" someone has a car with droopscrews.... "most do", but I see plenty older cars that dont......this wasn't specified........so I was just covering all bases.............
Old 11-22-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

I didn't say that to start an argument. Just that a lot of people don't use the spring. I tighten my screws fairly tight & have checked the tweak before & after & halve not seen any problem with the tweak changing so I have'nt been using it. I'm sure if you get some gorillas on the screws they can make it noticable.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Master