Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Touring Car Setup - info foam on asphalt ? >

Touring Car Setup - info foam on asphalt ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring Car Setup - info foam on asphalt ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

What is your complete setup?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

You may find it beneficial to use lighter springs / oil / 3 hole pistons or a combination of these on the front/rear, as well as moving the shocks closer into the chassis on the top mounts if you have a lot of low speed corners. (but don't overdo it, do things in moderation ).

The simple reason for this is to generate more bite with the harder shore tyres, keeping the shocks upright on power will probably make the car push...

Even higher track temperatures can go in your favour also, It is more than possible to have fun with harder foams outdoors, so keep with it!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Red face

hello....
well bogging down.... losing too much corner speed... scrubing all the momentum.... the car almost stops...
this is with a one way or diff...

would increasing just the shock oil or springs help carry a bit more speed in the corners....
Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Champion

1rcracer- with a one way of any description you should have plenty of entry speed off power.

The most important thing once you are there, naturally is getting the amount of speed and enough rotation from the back of the car to get it round the corner, and out the other end.

Too much speed, and obviously you will be off the racing line... Finding a balance of grip and speed is where we are now in any cornering situation.

I would experiment first with laying in the top of the shocks a little, to see if that helps.

If it doesn't, I would then look at changing springs, and if there is a big change needed to the springs, look at changing oil and possibly the pistons too.

You may also want to try changing your droop settings, but these can make very big changes to the cars behaviour, and sometimes even aid lifting an inside wheel on the entry or apex... so play with that setting very carefully.

Only change one thing at a time each time the car goes on the track to see any change taking place, or you will be chasing the setup...

If the grip is low full stop, I would suggest either a spool or a diff up the front, as with lots of off power speed and no grip, you are asking for one thing.... trouble! lol

If anything in low grip situations, you want the drivetrain "drag effect" to be helping you when you let off the throttle, to help the car scrub speed and stand a better chance of rotating well mid corner.

You wont get that with a one way.... Drag brake dialled into the ESC if its a small track may help.

If there is no grip, you just have to slow the car down, plain and simple and wait until you have passed the apex before you can use the throttle.

But!!! If you are using drag brake, that may just be masking an unsuitable setup for where the car is being used...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1rcracer
hello....
well bogging down.... losing too much corner speed... scrubing all the momentum.... the car almost stops...
this is with a one way or diff...

would increasing just the shock oil or springs help carry a bit more speed in the corners....
Hiya, you're racing at K90 right? I recon you should use less droop. My car is set like a go cart, but you're racing mods, so I can be totally wrong, hahaha
Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah k90 dude...

what class u race....

im gonna try and get the car to work with a diff.... get some brakes going...
the times im gettin now aint too bad... will make b-main at the nats...

but A is the target....
tks ill try less droop next time out...

what class do you race ?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey tc3team .... some good advice tks.....

Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

No problem, any time.

To understand what is going wrong, you have to ask yourself "why?", which you are
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Take a look at the xray setup book. Its great for general setup knowledge.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

Right guys, just to add on my first post about suntan lotion...

For it to work well, you will need some high factor cream.

What the sun tan lotion does is "seal the additive" into the tyre. So with that in mind, put some of your usual additive into your foam, wipe off any excess, then apply your sun tan lotion.

(But don't use the same bottle of sun tan lotion for yourself, unless you want to replace heat rash with tyre additive rash.... )
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i'm already using form trye with 37 shore front & rear .. with same rubber setup .. running on mod class .. very nice handling & good traction .. but out of corner having little spinning when you pull throttle to full .. need drop more shore to 35 or 36 .. nice thread .. so far i will use form tyre for practice ... coz of saving then rubber tyre..
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Right guys, just to add on my first post about suntan lotion...

For it to work well, you will need some high factor cream.

What the sun tan lotion does is "seal the additive" into the tyre. So with that in mind, put some of your usual additive into your foam, wipe off any excess, then apply your sun tan lotion.

(But don't use the same bottle of sun tan lotion for yourself, unless you want to replace heat rash with tyre additive rash.... )
what suntan lotion u use ? .. how to use or how to apply to form tyre .. ?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey dude...

well i gotta say i tried 38 front and 35 rear worked ok
just as long as the track is consistant through all the turns...

its funny some cars take nicely to the foams and some need some serious upgrades.... ie thicker decks all round....
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

I've got a 4mm bottom deck on my TRF and I run foams Boy is it running sweet! I ran regionals today and did super... Reached my goal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.