Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

For foams on carpet...

Why don't you guys try and find Novaks Charlie Suangka's setup sheet he used this past Novak Touring Car Champs...

He won the brushless class using a TRF415 on foams.

--------

If anyone is selling a TRF415 a deal I had going looks like it's not happening....so email me if you have one to sell/trade.

--------
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by SpeedTech
razzo,

I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. I was referring to the more "grayish" look screws that koabich was posting about. The new style Ti-screw we have are now brighter finish which is the look that majority of the customer prefer and that we have request the manufacture to do. Screw packs are made by us, we did the screw count and put together these kits at a lower price. Perhaps Tamiya isn't using the same OEM anymore, that's something internal that they might have changed, however Tamiya screws cost more simply because...well, they are Tamiya

Steve Wang
Not to start a war here but....

Yeah, I bought the set for my 415 from Speedtech several months ago. I was not impressed. My screws also had the smae porblems that Razzo described. So I just replaced them with the Tamiya screws. Yeah since Tamiya doesn't offer the complete set, you have to order the sizes you need individually. You can order the screws from the link I posted above (Walawala Store) and they are about the same price as the Speedtech set, plus I have some extra screws as spares left over. There is absolutly no confusing the Speedtech screws with the Tamiya screws.

Thanks for the offer to replace the screws, I really appreciate it, but I don't have them all anymore...as I said I was replacing them with the Tamiya stuff.

Steve, I do have a question for you. When I ordered these screws from Japan (Walawala Sotre) it costs me like $3.00 in shipping. When I ordered the set of screws from you it cost me $8.00 shipping from Cali? I would order more form you but that shipping is outrageous.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: 415 Carpet/foam setup

Originally posted by Raul Garcia
Koabich, I would have to say I totally DISagree with you later comment how someones setup is the wrong setup, just because you think it is different, or extreme. Let me explain.
We raced our regionals last saturday, I ran my 415 in stock. Now, I am a mpretty darn good driver consistent and clean, and there are stars out there that are brighter, driving cleaner, faster, and more consistent. The end result is they are going faster. Now, you say how do you squeeze the little bit more out of your generic setup, when you have tried mostly everything else. You go outside of the box! I am not saying that I agree with some of the stuff I have seen, but dont condemn it before it is track proven. I do like the double upper deck of yours, trying to get someone, that has three letters in their name to make one. But, I have tried and true, made my car faster every attempt I have used it. I have done some ackerman adjustments, servo mod's, frt diff, CVD's, locked center, MS towers, and other little doo-dads. So, please just because someone is trying something different, it may not be a bad thing., My car is the fastest, it has been yet. I think I can squeeze a little more from my car, but a little more out of the box thinking will have to be done.

Please dont take offense to this, I am just stating my experience's. Thanks for the setup, though.
No offense at all taken. In some cases I actually agree with you..but in my opinion doing that stuff is way overdone and I don't like to do it. I used to do some of that stuff with my TC3...some really mild stuff and all these guys were going nuts with their stuff. They would swear that all this stuff needed to be done to make the car competitive and in the end they were no faster and in some cases they were slower.

I am a firm believer in exhausting all the options first and then if the car doesn't handle the way you want, then start doing all that crazy stuff.

My experience with RC cars, and I am a pretty darn good driver as well , is that the majority of people out there are truely clueless when it comes to setting up their car (not that I am great at it myself). They seem to think that the same or similar setups will work on all cars or that a change on one car will have the exact same effect on another car...and this is not the case....take the TC4 for example.

For the record, that is a darn good car but read the TC4 forum and you got all these guys saying that the TC3 is better. The TC3 was a great car but the TC4 is definately a better car. These guys are taking their TC3 setup and putting it on their TC4 setup and then complaining the the car stinks. Then they sell the car and try somehting else. They haven't even tried to set up the car correctly but they are that easy to dismiss it. Well just because the car looks similar doesn't mean that that are even close to each other...regardless of what someone might think, the TC3 and the TC4 are totally different.

Ok, now back to my point, people have a hard time experimenting trying to find the right setup. They always want instant gratification and jump on the bandwagon and automatically want to do what someone else is doing without ever experimenting on their own. I raced my TC3 for three years and never once did I use the exact same setup more than once.

I guarantee that one or several people will take the setup I posted and come back here and say that it sucks or is the worst setup ever. But for me, with this setup on the 415, I have never been faster or more consistant. Use this setup as a startig place and then modify it to your needs...there is nothing fancy to this setup and the only trick thing I have done is double up the top deck.

All I am saying is before you start flipping stuff over and doing this and that to the car, play with the car and the setup within the boundaries of which it was designed...I am sure that you will be pleasantly suprised that all this stuff is not necessary.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Koabich,
First thanks for the setup, If you don't mind, I'd like to transfer it across onto one of my sheets and then post it on my site, if thats ok with you?

Also, not wanting to put a dig at you.. but you say
There is no trick stuff done to the car...stuff like lowering the steering bellcranks or turning the suspension mounts upside down. I believe that if you have to do that to correct a handling problem or get more steering or whatever then you don't have the correct set-up to begin with.
And then you go onto say you've superglued two top decks together.... if that aint a major mod, i don't know what is

Don't worry I understand what you mean, and where your coming from with that point of veiw, I was like it myself until i got the narrower blocks to try out.

To be honest, the X-series blocks are much more suited to flipping, they have an extra 2mm raised portion under where you would mount the screw, as well as cut out on the sus. ball holder.

if you can get hold of a set, honestly do try it, it makes the car just so much more responsive.

Regards
Ed
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TryHard
Koabich,
First thanks for the setup, If you don't mind, I'd like to transfer it across onto one of my sheets and then post it on my site, if thats ok with you?

Also, not wanting to put a dig at you.. but you say

And then you go onto say you've superglued two top decks together.... if that aint a major mod, i don't know what is

Don't worry I understand what you mean, and where your coming from with that point of veiw, I was like it myself until i got the narrower blocks to try out.

To be honest, the X-series blocks are much more suited to flipping, they have an extra 2mm raised portion under where you would mount the screw, as well as cut out on the sus. ball holder.

if you can get hold of a set, honestly do try it, it makes the car just so much more responsive.

Regards
Ed
Sure I don't mind, please do use my setup however you want.

Yeah, I thought about the top deck things after I wrote about it....lol. Actually, I do very much prefer a stiff car. I founf with the top deck that I was able to run the suspension much softer than I would have normally. I really prefer the feeling of the car this way. You would be amazed at the added stiffness this addes to the car!!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

maybe something to try then

BTW with your setup, are you running 1.5 or 2.5 deg of rear toe? I only ask, as your sheet says your running 0.5 of toe out on the suspension blocks... just want to check thats all.

Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 02-11-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TryHard
maybe something to try then

BTW with your setup, are you running 1.5 or 2.5 deg of rear toe? I only ask, as your sheet says your running 0.5 of toe out on the suspension blocks... just want to check thats all.

Ed
The blocks equal .5 degree's of toe out but I am running the 2 degree uprights so I am running a total of -1.5 degree toe in.

Oh and one thing I forgot is the I do not measure droop the normal way. What I have marked as droop on the sheet is actually "Up-Travel" and not droop!

Hope that helps!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Where is Charlie's setup sheet???

Originally posted by Nexus
For foams on carpet...

Why don't you guys try and find Novaks Charlie Suangka's setup sheet he used this past Novak Touring Car Champs...

He won the brushless class using a TRF415 on foams.

--------

If anyone is selling a TRF415 a deal I had going looks like it's not happening....so email me if you have one to sell/trade.

--------
Where can I find Charlie Suangka's setup sheet from the Novak Race??
Old 02-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by koabich
The blocks equal .5 degree's of toe out but I am running the 2 degree uprights so I am running a total of -1.5 degree toe in.

Oh and one thing I forgot is the I do not measure droop the normal way. What I have marked as droop on the sheet is actually "Up-Travel" and not droop!

Hope that helps!
Ok, thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Raul's earlier post to Koabich is pretty funny. Especially since I kicked his a$$ last night at Hobby Chamber using a basic 415 set-up no flip flops.... Thanks to Raul showing me how to set the droop

Gotta love it when the old man comes out and puts the smack down. My carpet set-up is posted a few threads back. Can't wait for the carpet Nationals.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I dont have too much experience on carpet, only ran a couple regional races with mod/foams with my sedans, but one thing I dont get is why everyone on here seems to be going stiffer, and yet I have seen a couple setups from pros where they dont even use the brace posts... think outside the box.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

My chassis is set-up much softer than Raul's. I prefer the chassis to roll, improves chassis grip and makes it easier to drive through traffic.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default kicking my ass?

Originally posted by Carl Giordano
Raul's earlier post to Koabich is pretty funny. Especially since I kicked his a$$ last night at Hobby Chamber using a basic 415 set-up no flip flops.... Thanks to Raul showing me how to set the droop

Gotta love it when the old man comes out and puts the smack down. My carpet set-up is posted a few threads back. Can't wait for the carpet Nationals.
First let's mention, I TQ'd by a lap...... from you. Second, if you know whats good for you then we will see on thursday 19t... Lastly, your welcome on the help.

But really, my car has no flip flops and such, for the arm mounts. But I have flipped the steering plate 180* to alter the ackeramn of the car, seemed to work well. Carl's driving style and setups are very different from mine, but in the end we still drive the same line......

I too, cant wait for the Nat's!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Anywhere I have seen the pro's not using the side posts they were racing on Asphalt with rubber tires. For this kind of racing, stiffer is not better....chassis flex is a good thing as traction is somewhat limited. That is the resson for them coming out with the MS. The stock 415 while great on ashpalt could be better. So they come out with a chassis that is thinner and will flex more.

On carpet, there is usually an overabundance of traction and the tracks are normally much tighter. In this case, the less chassis flex the better. Let the suspension do the work.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preferance. Some like a stiffer car and some do not. Some cars, by design are better with a stiffer setup than others.

When I first started running the 415, I was using very heavy shock oil, springs and pistons with small holes and the car was very good.

When I glued the 2 top decks together and left the rest of my set up the same the car was crap. I noticed that as I softened the suspension the better the car got. I have gotten the suspension exaclty where I want. I am still a little heavier than most but I need it that way as I run y car lower than most people and if my suspension was any softer, the chassis would grag on the corners.

I have found with this car, the stiffer the chassis the softer you can go with the suspension settings.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Raul, your forgeting that I improved on your TQ, in the main by more than 10 secs. Its amazing how much faster a stock motor runs after cutting the com and running new brushes.

Koabich: I'll have to try doubling up on the top plate. Although I would think that flex is controlled through the lower chassis. I always run the chassis stiffner posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.