Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
Not off cuts boss... custom built from the raw material

I've had a good look how the current plates are laid up... and it's pretty easy to see how you can make it stiffer. Also explains why the chassis is fairly "twistable". Unless anyone wants more details, I'll leave it at that.

Gonna play around with lay up's, make a few different plates... might make some avaliable if I like how they work (bear in mind thats a BIG if). Pretty sure I could make a foam chassis that would be thinner than 4mm... and a thinner and stiffer one for asphalt. Just need to do a bit of experimentation
what do a 90-45-90-45-45-90-45-90 or use uni directional weave. just to make it stiffer? oh yeah fab wouldn't mind one as well as he want to build a 415 with the new steering
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
what do a 90-45-90-45-45-90-45-90 or use uni directional weave. just to make it stiffer? oh yeah fab wouldn't mind one as well as he want to build a 415 with the new steering
Well, If I was gonna tell you all my secrets Don't forget the resin plays a big part too

You'll actually find the current chassis is made mainly from UD anyway (its the strongest type of crabon as the fibres are straighter)... it's just the two visibles surfaces are woven (and there is a good reason why). It does seem like the current chassis goes 0/90 - 0 - 90 -0 -90 - 0 etc
so yes, part of the plan is too put some 45 and -45 in there. In what order... well thats where the fun begins
Old 09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Ask the Mr Hansell at fibre lyte what the best way to lay it up they are great to get info out of.
And they have a CF kayak in the reception they were bored was the answer to that, i went over with a mate to get CF bike wheel repaired they said no on the phone went over showed it him he got some resin out and hey presto good as new.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

sammy... have a look at the last link in the sig. They are who I work for.... we make the stuff Mr Hansell uses (well I don't know that for sure... but you get the idea).

Oh. and we have a nice big design dept that helps design AC yachts...

Last edited by TryHard; 09-22-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Interesting Image from the IIC... not sure hows cars, but I'd guess Steen's (Look at the tranny)

http://www.rc50.com/modules/coppermi...6/PICT3069.JPG

Interesting to note... Foam car (left, the one with foams on..duh! ) looks like a an MRE, but with a 4mm chassis and original steering.
Rubber car... bit more interesing. STD MSX again (Not MRE steering). Also looks like he's got the short arms (X pattern in the rear arm, and 6mm hexes), and new top deck (Thicker, different cut, no front belt stabiliser) and camber mounts.
Front ones wrap round the bulkhead off the top deck. Rear mounts off where the alloy centre brace sits (wouldn't allow for the new layshaft bearing holders though). New upper bulkheads to accomodate too (check out the countersunk screws)

Wonder if they are Tamiya prototype, or Steen custom built....
It works fab done it or is gonna test it when he get back from his travels.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

sammy... have a look at the last link in the sig. They are who I work for.... we make the stuff Mr Hansell uses (well I don't know that for sure... but you get the idea).

Oh. and we have a nice big design dept that helps design AC yachts...
Yeah as long as your not designing them or sailing them J/K
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

is there any website in the US selling this baby for around
$400 - except for Speedtech - i think they are out for a while i am still expecting a reply from them.

But any idea where is a better place. dont say Champ.....

Where can i get the Twister 2.1 HARA

rgds
ZiZo
Old 09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by uaerc
is there any website in the US selling this baby for around
$400 - except for Speedtech - i think they are out for a while i am still expecting a reply from them.

But any idea where is a better place. dont say Champ.....

Where can i get the Twister 2.1 HARA

rgds
ZiZo
So far Speedtech sells them around that price. Every where else (e.g. Ebay stores) sells more than $400 w/out shipping yet. You may want to check Ultimate Hobbies website....

I bought 2 Twisters 2.1 & a Tamiya MS Volak (aka like Hara Twister 2.1) on ebay for around $130 to $150....
Old 09-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone used the MRE on carpet compared to the MSX R2, any noticeable difference if you've started on your R2 set-up and transfered it to the MRE?

Charles

Last edited by Charles Godwin; 09-23-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Will the TA05 diff pulley fit on the 415? I'm planning to use this on the front. What part number is it?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Im having trouble setting up the rear sway bar on the MRE. Im trying to get equal freeplay from left to right but the left arm wont lift at all when manually lifting the right arm.... There seems to be too much slop in the plastic mount on the bulkhead... Has any one else found this and found a way to sort it? Would appreciate some help. The only other thing in the build that i found was that when I set the steering link as per instuctions the servo horn is off to the right slightly, Im using a s5990 servo. Should i alter the length of the arm to get the horn perfectly upright or leave it? Cheers
Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jnrtin
Im having trouble setting up the rear sway bar on the MRE. Im trying to get equal freeplay from left to right but the left arm wont lift at all when manually lifting the right arm.... There seems to be too much slop in the plastic mount on the bulkhead... Has any one else found this and found a way to sort it? Would appreciate some help. The only other thing in the build that i found was that when I set the steering link as per instuctions the servo horn is off to the right slightly, Im using a s5990 servo. Should i alter the length of the arm to get the horn perfectly upright or leave it? Cheers
One thing I've done is too drill a hole in the mounts, and put a grub screw in them. Just tighten the screws up pinch tight to restrict movement.

On the steering front, make sure the horn is zero'd. So yes, lengthen the link.

HiH
Ed
Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone got any build tips for the MRE apart from smoothing and glueing the edges of the carbon? Mine should be here tommorow

Charles
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

What is with the DJ pro module? Is it good for carpet or pavement or what? Tried doing a search but the search function keeps hanginf up.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Anyone got any build tips for the MRE apart from smoothing and glueing the edges of the carbon? Mine should be here tommorow

Charles
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...t=chassis+prep

I followed that, got great edges.

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
Will the TA05 diff pulley fit on the 415? I'm planning to use this on the front. What part number is it?

Thanks
Anyone know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.