"NEW" To 1/12 pan cars, need help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"NEW" To 1/12 pan cars, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default "NEW" To 1/12 pan cars, need help!

Hello every1, OK to start off I want to get a Pan car But im not sure What i would need and how much money i should need

A fiew questions i have

I have a charger for lipos
Whats the cheapest pan car out their? like a low price around 250? 150
And do i need like special chargers and all the

If u can just list things i need to get and "I DOTN WANT THE BEST im a beginner" not a rookie with racing tho andddd just help me out a bit with what i would need TY

Tom!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Tom, where in NJ are you? I'f you're anywhere near the Verrazano or GWB, you might want to head out to long island on Sunday to 360 Speedway. We race 1/12 and touring cars, and we have a group of guys running LiPO 1/12 at the moment.

Great place to see what's available, what's involved, and finding out just about anything else you want to know.

http://www.360rcspeedway.com
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I believe the least expensive new car out there right now is the Associated 12R5 and it's a good car. For a little more (225ish) the CRC Gen X is also a good car. Most Lipo chargers I know of will also do NIMH, so depending on your brand you should be fine. For a good and less expensive servo I'd suggest the Futaba 9650.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default sd

That sucks u guys are u ny I would not be able to get their man maybe wen i start driving Lol
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default sd

So basicly all im going to need is a brushed/brushless system the car and batteries becuase i have a charger So this all will come out to like 500 allmost
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomElEctric!
So basicly all im going to need is a brushed/brushless system the car and batteries becuase i have a charger So this all will come out to like 500 allmost
Are you the Tom who has been racing 1/18s at Xtreme Friday nights? If so, this is Tim (12R5 & TC5). As has been said, the 12R5 and GenX are both good bets. You've seen my 12R5 in action, so you know it's a good car and the same goes for Chris' GenX. One thing I really like about the 12R5 is the lay-down servo. Keeps the CG low and works real well. It's really just a matter of choice, but I know Chris does stock a lot of the CRC parts, so you'd be good in that dept. if you went with the GenX.

Also, like someone else said, the 9650 is a real good digital servo for 1/12 cars. I have one in my 12R5 and I also put one in my new KSG Gen 3 1/10 oval car.

As for the power package, we're running stock (27T or 17.5 B/L) at Xtreme. I'm partial to the Tekin RS ESC along with either a Trinity or Novak motor.

Another thing that's crucial is the batteries. Don't skimp on cells just to save a few bucks. Look for matched packs with good numbers (IR, voltage, etc) Proper assembly of the packs is also crucial. You need a good, hot soldering iron with a good sized tip. Using a colder iron will cause you to hold it on the cells too long and thus damage them. If you need someone to assemble them for you, just let me know.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Tim! I just kinda fell in love with the pan cars they look like alot of fun wen u guys raced them Its very competitive lol Im most likely going to go with the one you have runs pretty nice And how much are the rear and front foams alot?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Keep in mind that most of the LiPO batteries out there are 7.4v two cell batteries for touring cars which won't fit in a 1/12 chassis. A 1/12 car will run a 3.7v single cell LiPO, at the moment only SMC sells it. The good news is it's less $$ than a 7.4 LiPO. Many brushless speedos and motors are available as combos for a good price. If you plan to run the single cell LiPO, you'll want to look for a 13.5 combo. Also, it would be easiest to go with a link style chassis over a t-bar chassis to make mounting the single cell LiPO more convenient.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Tim! I just kinda fell in love with the pan cars they look like alot of fun wen u guys raced them Its very competitive lol Im most likely going to go with the one you have runs pretty nice And how much are the rear and front foams alot?

Yeah, Chris and I are real close with the 1/12 cars and it's always a good race between he and I. It's usually the first guy to bobble is the guy who loses.

No, the tires are fairly inexpensive. I run Jaco prisms front and rear. Gray rears and lilac fronts work the best at Xtreme & Dirt Runners. Just make sure you true them down before running them. I can do that for you too if you want.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default ed

Thanks Tim, I appreciate that
Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

You're welcome, Tom. The other good thing about the 1/12 racing at Xtreme is that the other guys, who are sometimes not on the pace that Chris and I are on, will move over for us and allow us to have a clean race.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default sd

Ye i know.. the only thing thats guna scare me wen i get the car is that the track is not to wide and its guna bet hard for me to ride that fast car lol

btw do you think i should buy a cheap brushed motor or a decent 1 and practice for a few months and see how it goes then go with a mamba max If thats even good
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ye i know.. the only thing thats guna scare me wen i get the car is that the track is not to wide and its guna bet hard for me to ride that fast car lol

btw do you think i should buy a cheap brushed motor or a decent 1 and practice for a few months and see how it goes then go with a mamba max If thats even good
It's a tight, technical track, true, but nothing to be afraid of. We'll get your car all set up and then it's just going to take some practice. Start slow, learn the car and work your way up to race-speed. With your teenage reflexes, 1/12 will be easy for you to learn. Not so much for old guys like me and Chris. lol

You can run a 27T brushed or 17.5 brushless, but I'd highly recommend brushless. I would suggest buying once and buying right. Go with either the Tekin RS or the Novak 4-cell GTB and a 17.5 sensored motor of your choice. In fact, if you're interested, I have a nearly brand new Tekin 17.5 motor available. I ran it in oval practice and one heat on Saturday up at Marshall's, but ended up switching to a Trinity Duo. So the Tekin basically has about 15 minutes worth of runtime on it. Just let me know.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default 12

Thanks but im not sure about the "17turn idk what that means and idk any thing about gearing1
Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks but im not sure about the "17turn idk what that means and idk any thing about gearing1
17.5 is the brushless stock equivalent of a 27T brushed motor. Gearing when running foam tires can be tricky because you deal in "roll out" rather than "final drive ratio", or "FDR".

Roll out is pretty simple once you've done the calculations a couple times. It just becomes 2nd nature.

Rollout is basically tire circumference divided by final drive ratio.

So say you're running 44mm diameter tires on your 1/12 car. You multiply the 44mm diameter by pi (3.14) and that gives you your circumference. In this case 138.16 would be your circumference. Now let's say you're running a 76T spur and a 45T pinion. You divide 76 by 45 and get 1.68. You then divide 138.16 by 1.68 and that is your rollout, in this case it would be 82.23mm, which is right around what I run in my 12R5 at Chris' track. You can also use http://www.gearchart.com to calculate roll out for you by simply plugging in some basic data.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.