Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner car for 540 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Out of my budget I have left $275AUD for the electronics. Will that be enough?

Also any recommendations for what to go with? Remembering I have budget of course.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

If you are running silver can motors, I would say you don't need top end stuff. If after a season you want to change classes then you can, and always sell your old esc to another new person. I would get a nice radio if you can swing it, that will move with you where ever you go, everything surface can use the same radio, be it a car or a boat. If 2.4 stuff is legal in Oz I would go that route, it is so nice not having to wait for your freq. to open up or have someone in the pits step on your signal. At this point in the game the best thing for you is track time. I would also pick up a few batts. if the budget allows. Lipo's if possible.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

+1 on a nice 2.4 radio, if you can get yourself a good quality servo you will be able to put it in your new car if you upgrade later.

As for an esc, dont go overboard if its only a 540 motor you're racing with. Save the money for when or if you make the switch to brushless motors.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcdude8
Most of the guys in the 540 class are younger guys sorta like 11-20. I am in the middle of that range. Most of them are beginners like myself, but there a couple who could be a challenge in there .
reminds me of when i started what, 3 years ago?
being about the same age as you (15), from my experience, get the kit so that after you bul it you understand it. I wnet rtr with my first car, and didnt know squat about how to fix it, and the fact that rtr's manuals dont come with detailed manuals, it makes it DOUBLE HARD to learn your car on the bench.
but hey, keep racing and you WILL get better, it took me about 2 years to get really competitive (like regionl competitive), but if you keep working on it, the potential for future local fast guy will always be there. I was a competitive driver 1.5 years ago, but a car can really hold you back. I had upgraded to an academy str-4 for my first indoor season, but once I bought a cyclone the end of the following summer, it was amazing how much having a decent car improved my driving and competitiveness. If you get a high end car in the short run, it is more expensive, but in the long run its cheaper cus you can use that chassis for 4 years and still be competitive, wereas with other cars the chassis design is inherently limited, and you might by a new car every 2 years, which is much more expensive in the long run. if you want to talk just PM me man.

Mike
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Little_Mike
reminds me of when i started what, 3 years ago?
being about the same age as you (15), from my experience, get the kit so that after you bul it you understand it. I wnet rtr with my first car, and didnt know squat about how to fix it, and the fact that rtr's manuals dont come with detailed manuals, it makes it DOUBLE HARD to learn your car on the bench.
but hey, keep racing and you WILL get better, it took me about 2 years to get really competitive (like regionl competitive), but if you keep working on it, the potential for future local fast guy will always be there. I was a competitive driver 1.5 years ago, but a car can really hold you back. I had upgraded to an academy str-4 for my first indoor season, but once I bought a cyclone the end of the following summer, it was amazing how much having a decent car improved my driving and competitiveness. If you get a high end car in the short run, it is more expensive, but in the long run its cheaper cus you can use that chassis for 4 years and still be competitive, wereas with other cars the chassis design is inherently limited, and you might by a new car every 2 years, which is much more expensive in the long run. if you want to talk just PM me man.

Mike
Cheers. I probably won't be able to get too competitive in the next 2 or so years because I have to focus on my schoolwork. I need to get the grades, to achieve my goal. Anyway I have been told a lot that a good car really helps and so thats why I chose the Cyclone S.