Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asphalt vs Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Asphalt vs Carpet

Which surface do you think would draw the most and keep the most racers for a local indoor track?

Carpet: easy on rubber tires, 12th scale friendly, cheaper and less work to install, more big races on carpet now, etc..

Asphalt: feels more like real racing, better image toward new drivers, better grip for rubber tires, etc..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oooh, that's gonna be a touch call. I've only race asphalt (parking lot) so i'm not gonna be much help...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Carpet is much easier to tires than asphalt. Easy on the cars and keeps the chassis plate clean. Not always, but in my experiene, carpet would have less rocks or debris to mess up your drive train and gears. Most importantly, carpet generally has better traction than asphalt. Carpet doesnt give tire squeals like asphalt, so some may be turned off by that. Some may not like carpet becasue of the need for tire traction compound.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Oooh, that's gonna be a touch call. I've only race asphalt (parking lot) so i'm not gonna be much help...
+1

But I enjoy the unprodictable irregularity asphalt has on the outcome of a race.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, indoor asphalt would draw more people in the Socal area....
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Years ago I visited an indoor flat track that was just the concrete floor that had something similar to a tennis court topping texture painted on to it.

It had great traction, didn't have the expense of ASPHALT, nor carpet. The owner said it was easy maintenance too....

Maybe an option?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalMitch
Which surface do you think would draw the most and keep the most racers for a local indoor track?

Carpet: easy on rubber tires, 12th scale friendly, cheaper and less work to install, more big races on carpet now, etc..

Asphalt: feels more like real racing, better image toward new drivers, better grip for rubber tires, etc..
Go check out the 360 RC Speedway thread in the racing forum. They opened a year ago. They have an asphalt base and run carpet over it. They run on carpet in the winter, and on the asphalt in the summer.

So many racers whined about the lack of grip on the asphalt they put the carpet down early.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I12PonU
Carpet is much easier to tires than asphalt. Easy on the cars and keeps the chassis plate clean. Not always, but in my experiene, carpet would have less rocks or debris to mess up your drive train and gears. Most importantly, carpet generally has better traction than asphalt. Carpet doesnt give tire squeals like asphalt, so some may be turned off by that. Some may not like carpet becasue of the need for tire traction compound.
Not all carpet type work...if you don't have the good ozite carpet, it will not work as good.

Carpet hairs get wound up all over the drivetrain- the carpet fuss/hairs get in the axles, diffs, pulleys, etc, and its a pain to take out. Cant just blow it off.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Eh that happens to Ozzite from CRC as well though. I've pulled out enough carpet from race days to make my own little 1x1 foot track it seems.

Just kidding... but seriously, ozzite fuzzes pretty bad too. maybe not so bad on the newer stuff with the thicker backing though.

Paul
Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
So many racers whined about the lack of grip on the asphalt they put the carpet down early.
get ya facts straight!!! carpet went down early so people can prep for the Vegas race....

gees this information comes from someone who resembles Santa clause..... comes around once a year to race !!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALBERTO
get ya facts straight!!! carpet went down early so people can prep for the Vegas race....
I was going to say something.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Me too.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

I race both. Carpet is much more predictable since parking lots have lots of surface irregularity. Plus carpet can be used year round and for 1/12 scale like you mentioned. Even minis can race on carpet. Key is not to cheap out on carpet and get good stuff like the stuff CRC sells. Carpet is expensive and you only want to put it down once.
Like others said, carpet is much more gentle on the cars. Note that cars are way faster on carpet too. Lots of traction. With rubber outside you have to worry about temps and having lots of different tires to match the temps. Inside the temp is controlled and it is easier to dial in the car.

Tony
Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Initiate

What about wood? Some guys convert indoor basketball gyms into tracks
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
+1

But I enjoy the unprodictable irregularity asphalt has on the outcome of a race.
me too. plus with carpet.. traction compound eventually builds up.. then you have CRAZY traction. asphalt has the option of being washed down to remove traction.

Originally Posted by Francis M.
IMO, indoor asphalt would draw more people in the Socal area....
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.