Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What class you prefer....19T Spec or 27T Stock? >

What class you prefer....19T Spec or 27T Stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What class you prefer....19T Spec or 27T Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM

I prefer the 19T class for a few reasons. With the right brushes the 19T is much torquier and faster overall than the stock 27T, and also I've noticed that 19T motors are more "spec" than stock, that is, they do not vary as much from motor to motor. With the added horsepower, 19T requires more skill to master, whereas stock can be a little boring, especially on large, open tracks. There are also fewer good 19T motors compared to stock, which means you can spend less money trying out different motors. There are only two or three 19T motors I would use, rather than maybe 4 or 5 good stock motors.

However, for people who are fairly new to the hobby, I would recommend running in a stock class, with a P2K for example, because stocks tend to require less maintainance and have fewer glitching problems. They are also more tolerant to high temperatures (I ran my hand-out P2K2 at 160 with no problems!) whereas a 19T requires more attention to temp.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you can handle the little bit of more power of a 19t motor, I think it's more fun. But if your club only runs stock and mod, stock is still a lot of fun. I certainly don't feel like I was missing anything when the track I race at was running mainly stock and no 19t. Some people can get their stock motors to run faster than they can get their 19t motors to. But I really hope they dont make adjustable timing motors legal. I think that might just ruin the class. Think about what it would be like if they made adjustable timing stock motors. But mainly its all about personal preferance. And thats just my .02
Old 10-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would have to go with 19 turn class because
the cost of racing would be relatively close
to stock with a little more speed because
the cars are so good now adays that it
is just needs that little bit of extra speed
to make it interesting to drive.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

I will start racing 19t this weekend because the track I go to has very long straights. The Track
Old 10-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

19t is actually a good match for the sedans as it seems the chassis is at its best with the power outout of these motors, and they are fast enough for stock . it gets to a point where too much horse power is not good. example small car that whieghs 1,500 pounds and has 1,200 horsepower the car is going to be a handful. take that car and reduce the output to about 450 hp and the car as a much more drivable car and easier to handle.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:21 PM

so a 23t is nothing more then a fast 27t..... can't that be said for every motor out there. i.e. a 23 t is nothing more then a fast 27t, a 19t is nothing more then a fast 27t, a 10/2 is nothing more then a fast 27t, a alcohol funny car is only a slow nitro nitro funny car. like i said, i raced a tamiya 23t motor against 19t motors in both the F-1 class and the sedan class and ran right with them, truth be told i won the F-1 class. i also run off road, and have won mod truck using the 19t against 10-2. in other words i have run both motor, 19t and 23t in various cars on various tracks and like i said before, there is little difference between the two. i took motor to aggressive tech and had it dynoed, spin up was the same as the 19t. torque was more. maybe could rephase it to make you happy, the tamiya 23t is just as good as a orion 19t
Old 10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

buddy i can tell you this a well tuned 23 t and well tuned 19t will not have the same power out put if anything a 23t will spool up faster but the 19 t will make more rpm and more horse power at higher rpms
23t motor lays in the middle of 19t and 27t
its will be more power than a 27t but not the 19t . 23t is close to booth motors but its in between . a 10x2 is nowhere near these two so thats a bad comparison.
if you put the 27 t on a phantom dyno it will have little bit over half the power of a 19t. which i am sure the 23t will be in the middle. if the track is short and tight with average drivers you may never see the difference. now take good drivers and you see the difference especially on longer flowing tracks were hp is necesary.
23 t is like a fast 27t and a slow 19t.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:46 PM

dude, i see you qualify your statement with the last four lines of it. and your opening 2 lines make my point, two cars same gearing, 23t out pulls it. that means its quicker, all out top speed you say 19t wins. question is, does your race track have turns or do you run all out all the time. and if you gear up the 23t (which you can do because it doesn't run as hot as a 19t) you can use the pulling power (torque) to match the max speed of the 19t.

this is only my opinion based on racing results.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

i am talking spool up time on a dyno.
a 19 turn will be faster after say 10ft on a track and even if you gear it so you carry speed it will get spanked by 19t.
ok here goes real car ex. a chevy 305 engine is the 27t motor and the 327 is the 23 t motor and the 350 is the 19t. ok!
you put the motors on a dyno the smaller displacement motor achieves max power quicker. and the larger motor takes longer.
if you put the car on the track with gearing to comensate for the power bands the bigger engine will have greater pulling power with less stress.
the 19t even though has less winds is the bigger of the three because of that it needs to be geared higher to get the motor in the power band it needs to be in.
lets say the 23t puts out 75 max out put on a phaqntom dyno and the 19t puts out 117 output even with both motors geared correctly the 19t still makes more power thus on a medium and large track with flowing curves the 19t will walk away with out sweating
on a tight track the 19t will still be faster when it gets to strech its legs and will probobly be just a little bit faster in the tight section. now in the situation you are in the drivers that are running the lowwer wind may not be set right , take your 23t and race with guys that really drive and have alot of track time with the 19t and you are going to trail them now on a dirty track because the motor makes less power it will equalize the playing field.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

I usually run stock but if i had a choice it would be 19T!!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM

well i guess that depends on which 327 and 350 your comparing

remember smart guy, some 327's were 300 hp and some 350's might only have 190 or less.