Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Will the A800-ABS fit on an A700?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
I would think so? The mounts are the same as the a800.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Travis S
Yes.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schwarta
I would think so? The mounts are the same as the a800.
I assumed so, but I don't have an A800. Just 3 oldies but goodies.

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
Yes.
Thank you sir.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

Now that it has been out for a little bit, I was curious if anyone has had a chance to run the RFG on asphalt with anything from 17.5 or faster. I'm considering it for my Evo 2 mainly because I'm fascinated at what it may do, but I'm afraid at worse it will just add another thing to maintain (or another thing to go wrong) without much gain in rear traction.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Looked at this myself, I have a spare FFG set so only up for the rfg specific parts which sort of halves the cost, but given most support is now A800 based, and I am still trying to get reliability issues sorted I haven't outlayed for the rfg yet. I only run 21.5 anyway so probably not a big deal for me. As it is the car is in bits AGAIN waiting on parts and I've had to pick up a cheapy T3 12 to keep in the points race at racing until reliability is done and dusted. Shame because I am a lot quicker with this car, like half a second a lap!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default My Awesomatix 700EVO1

I live in Cancun, Mexico where we race onroad all year round outdoors on a concrete basketball court. This is a picture of my Awesomatix with a Speed Passion Mazda Funai body on the chassis. I found it interesting to finally find a touring car that I could top with non-sedan bodies.

I love this chassis and body combo

Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Very cool, thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to do this for fun as well; that Mazda looks fantastic.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default Parts parts parts

I need 1 GD1, 2 pair of ST07 and 1 UB1. Who has them in stock and how soon can I get them
Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Ok having had this car for 6 months ish now I want to share some feedback

The good:

The car is fast, when it's behaving well it's dialled and super easy to drive, set up changes you feel instantly but it's probably more sensitive to body shells than other cars I have had.

Now, that said, it hasn't been an easy 6 months. To say this car is high maintenance is sugar coating it a bit. If you have time to put into it, can spend hours a week uninterupted wrenching, polishing, maintaining and tweaking your car it'll reward you. If like me you are a weekend racer with a wife and two kids and any time spent on rc at home is viewed with disdain and anger, it'll land you in the s... real quick. Think of it as the super hot girlfriend you dumped because at the end of the day she was too needy, but persisted with for so long because the rewards albeit so few and far between were just borderline addictive, coupled with the oohs and aahs from your peers drooling over what you have.......

anyway

A few gripes:

The online store (not the USA one) is a minefield, not the easiest to navigate paypal checkout isn't instant, you have to get an invoice then manually pay it and the system isn't often updated so your order could be processing for a week but already be sent 3 days ago, or sometimes they go awol for a week and noone knows.

Parts when they do arrive are in non retail packaging, and you sort of open your order seeing a few plastic bags with loose bits and think, I spent $70 on this???

If you live stateside, good for you the US store seems a lot better organised but if you are out of the US freight hurts, how much? $56US for freight on a set of caster doodles I believe I was quoted. *OUCH*

The D2.1S dampers or whatever they are? Guys here love them, for me? DISASTER! They bind up endlessly, I;ve put the old dampers back on my car at least they were reliable. On the initial build getting the o ring and bearing into the shock cap you almost need a machine press, there are seemingly 3 different sets of instructions, one with 2 grub screws, one with a grub screw and some shaft and one with a sponge at the bottom. I don't know what my set was meant to be as it was 4 sets of non descript shocks in unlabelled bags.

This car seems to be failure prone (for me at least) I have had arms warp, cvd's loose pins, even the bearing behind the spur collapse and bind everything up, this is just racing 21.5 How did anyone ever race mod in this?

Chatter on these cars on this thread has well died. I sort of feel like I am wearing last years shoes and all the cool kids have A800's now so all the chatter is in there. The A700 is now effectively 'sloppy seconds' which people reluctantly admit to knowing but dont now.

SO ... will I persist with it? Yes, bottom line it's an engineering bit of art, when it works, it works. However on the regular occasion it acts up it's annoying as all ... I've gone and bought a 2nd car (T3) so that in the event of the inevitable A700 failure, I can at least keep racing, I only get to race once a fortnight at best, and it's no fun being alone in the pits fixing another issue while everyone else is on the track.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

nexxus - id really recommend you try the alloy arms. ever since we've been running them on the A800 the amount of 'on-track' failure has been near zero.

i think its interesting to hear about your wrenching... i'd say over time as your find a setup, this kinda stops or at least slows down. i cannot say i've wrenched much after 2+ years of running the cars, but i do remember the first few months when i'd whole sale my cars often.

dont understand your d2/d2.1 issues. i'd recommend you give them another shot...
Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have had quite the opposite experience with the A700. I had counted on initially having a large number of problems, since the car was such a departure from the chassis I have run for the last decade, and because I purchased my A700's used (which often means inheriting someone else's mistakes). While there were some problems, there were fewer than I usually have when running a new (to me) chassis. Now, after several months of running a pair of A700's, they are already at the point where I can race them, blow them off with the air compressor, and ignore them until the next race day. It took several years for me to get to that point with my previous cars.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WesRaven
Now that it has been out for a little bit, I was curious if anyone has had a chance to run the RFG on asphalt with anything from 17.5 or faster. I'm considering it for my Evo 2 mainly because I'm fascinated at what it may do, but I'm afraid at worse it will just add another thing to maintain (or another thing to go wrong) without much gain in rear traction.
I haven't tried it on asphalt but I tried the RFG on carpet tonight (A700 evo with alloy chassis, 17.5t blinky) and I does generate more rear grip. The car gripped like mad for about 3 minutes then lost grip as the tyre were overheating, I could hear them screeching around the corners. I tried fitting the top deck which help the rear tyres but I lost front grip instead.

I won't be using it on carpet again but later this year when I start racing on asphalt I'll use it as it will probably be a really good upgrade. HTH

Last edited by danielc3009; 02-28-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by howardcano
I have had quite the opposite experience with the A700. I had counted on initially having a large number of problems, since the car was such a departure from the chassis I have run for the last decade, and because I purchased my A700's used (which often means inheriting someone else's mistakes). While there were some problems, there were fewer than I usually have when running a new (to me) chassis. Now, after several months of running a pair of A700's, they are already at the point where I can race them, blow them off with the air compressor, and ignore them until the next race day. It took several years for me to get to that point with my previous cars.
I agree. To start with my A700 was a p.i.t.a to setup and work on being so different to any other car I've owned until I got used to it. I check the tweak after every hard crash as I run a alloy chassis over that that, the only problem I have with mine is the GD1 had a slow leak that I can't fix.

The big plus for me is that the d6 damper require no rebuilds as I hate rebuilding shocks.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WesRaven
I ran it in 13.5 Blinky. I'm not sure I had enough experience with the base car to say either way. Although I did finish 2nd in our state titles with it.

It seems a bit more difficult than the ffg as there is not much movement and it's kind of hard to know how exactly to set it. Plus being right at the back, it's a bit tighter movement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.