Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Over 1200 laps and no rebuild required. Even the axle bushings are perfect
A+
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So, whilst I wait for mine to arrive (yes, cat's out the bag), I've been going over the shock settings some more.
From the manual this is what I need to have confirmed a bit.

Shortening the A length softens both the spring and damping rate, whilst shortening B increases the spring rate only.

So, to alter the damping rate only, you need to adjust A to the damping level required, then readjust B to get the spring rate. Is this correct?

(obviously, thats assume enough adjustment is left, and combining with SRS setting I and II )

Also, whats the general feeling on the roll bars? I'm seeing a lot of setups flat out not using them, is it simply a case of the car just doesn't require them?

Oh, and another thing... I've seen some setups are using un-equal length upper arms. By that I mean, the inner ball joint holes don't line up (front ball joint is closer to the centre than rear, for example). Surely this would have an effect on how camber changes (a bit like lower arm sweep on other cars). Anyone played with this much?

Still, see a lot of interesting times ahead getting it dialled in, going to need to re-read through this thread I think!

Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 12-15-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default including shipping?

in the 818 us$ price tag.. is the shipping included??
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HOLYSHHHHH
in the 818 us$ price tag.. is the shipping included??
nope, nor is import tax and bankers draft fees..............
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a shout to all the people using heatshrink and O rings on the suspension, something which I think is unnecessary..Most A700 owners are accomplished racers, perhaps you guys already tried this but..

I mentioned before that the slop is due to insufficient spring preload, which is self evident. Many have found that the slop occurs at opposite corners which is a logical finding. This is what I do..

Get the suspension super free first, and balance the car L-R to within 2g. Remove the bumper assembly. Get a fine ride height gauge 0.2mm increments.

When I first built the car I had slop in opposite corners but the car was equal in ride height in all 4 corners. I noticed that the spring preload/ride height screws were not at the same height. The corners with the slop had the screw higher, obviously, so the opposite corners which had no slop had more preload and were holding the car up, but level, in opposite corners (meaning that less preload is needed on the other springs, hence the slop)

So I matched the heights of the preload screws L-R, just by eye, and the car was still dead level, but the preloads were equal, which eliminated the slop but also with the added bonus of equalising the spring tensions L-R across the car

The beauty of the system is that without coil springs, spring collars and shock towers that are almost never perfectly horizontal, things which add error in setting up a conventional car, you can reliably use the height of the preload screws to get the car in balance assuming that the tolerances of the springs are close enough and the car is balanced overall L-R, and of course, the screws themselves are equal in length.

I know I haven't mentioned corner weights but I found that spring preload has a large effect on the values when using four digital scales, and its the preloads themselves that I'm trying to balance, not using the preloads to balance the corner weights. So I never use 4 scales. Maybe its not the ultimate method but I found the car extremely consistent and balanced by doing it this way.

I actually found it vastly easier to set than a conventional car

Last edited by hana166; 12-16-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Still, see a lot of interesting times ahead getting it dialled in, going to need to re-read through this thread I think!

Ed
Just run one of the posted setups and that's it. Car is already dialed so don't over complicate things I gave up in understanding the suspension as it just gives me a headache. only ran the car once on a clubby which it tqed and won so something is working right.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Some race results of A700 from Denmark and Germany:

http://www.powered-rc-cars.com/tag/german/page/2/
http://www.odw-raceway.de/2011/12/12...e-rennbericht/
Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195
nope, nor is import tax and bankers draft fees..............
so.. how much does it all sum up??
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HOLYSHHHHH
so.. how much does it all sum up??
Don't forget spares. $1000 should do it. Had to sell my beloved 417 massive spares lot and HTC smartphone to offset the cost but...well when the kit arrives you'll think it was cheap
Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hana166
Just a shout to all the people using heatshrink and O rings on the suspension, something which I think is unnecessary..Most A700 owners are accomplished racers, perhaps you guys already tried this but..

I mentioned before that the slop is due to insufficient spring preload, which is self evident. Many have found that the slop occurs at opposite corners which is a logical finding. This is what I do..

Get the suspension super free first, and balance the car L-R to within 2g. Remove the bumper assembly. Get a fine ride height gauge 0.2mm increments.

When I first built the car I had slop in opposite corners but the car was equal in ride height in all 4 corners. I noticed that the spring preload/ride height screws were not at the same height. The corners with the slop had the screw higher, obviously, so the opposite corners which had no slop had more preload and were holding the car up, but level, in opposite corners (meaning that less preload is needed on the other springs, hence the slop)

So I matched the heights of the preload screws L-R, just by eye, and the car was still dead level, but the preloads were equal, which eliminated the slop but also with the added bonus of equalising the spring tensions L-R across the car

The beauty of the system is that without coil springs, spring collars and shock towers that are almost never perfectly horizontal, things which add error in setting up a conventional car, you can reliably use the height of the preload screws to get the car in balance assuming that the tolerances of the springs are close enough and the car is balanced overall L-R, and of course, the screws themselves are equal in length.

I know I haven't mentioned corner weights but I found that spring preload has a large effect on the values when using four digital scales, and its the preloads themselves that I'm trying to balance, not using the preloads to balance the corner weights. So I never use 4 scales. Maybe its not the ultimate method but I found the car extremely consistent and balanced by doing it this way.

I found the exact same as you, Could'nt understand why people was using O rings as i did not have any play in my springs, But last night i was setting the car up and found that i had play in opposite corners of the car even though i set ride height with my gauge, When i looked at the ride height screws i could easily see by eye that they was out, So set them by eye and checked ride height and now have zero play, and all four wheels lift up perfect at the same time. Excellent car and yes easy to setup.
I had my first race with the car last weekend and was very impressed, did not get the perfect result i would hope for, but thats mainly my bad driving at times Didnt break anything on the car or any signs of wear, apart from i lost the Roll bar mounting. Hoping to get back out with the car tomorrow for another test.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

[QUOTE=hana166;10045090]Just a shout to all the people using heatshrink and O rings on the suspension, something which I think is unnecessary..Most A700 owners are accomplished racers, perhaps you guys already tried this but..

Hey Hana166
I didn't needs to O ring on mine...like Oleg said... it is not necessary..the droops and ride height and the balance of the car is important...I didn't used the weight scale ...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Would you be able to share with us how you've set and measured the L-R weight to within 2g? My car is corner balanced where the corner weights of the Driver/Front + Passenger/Rear is roughly the same as the corner weights of the Passenger/Front + Driver/Rear. BTW the only way you can do this is with scales. With my spring preload set to achieve the corner balance, my ride height on all four corners are not within or less then then the .2mm tolerance. I'm seeing a difference in the range of .4mm - .8mm. Apparently my overall weight balance is not as close as your setup.

Personally, I'd much rather prefer that my corner balance is equal, ride height is within .4 - .8mm tolerance, and droop is set accurately vs. being concerned over any ill affects of using the O-rings.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

I made my own spikes in my lathe. They are really sharp and go into the central allen bolts in most TC's, with a locating lip. If you are out 5g it won't balance at all. I use scales for F-R distribution. Most chassis seem accurately drilled enough to do it this way

Last edited by hana166; 12-16-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have talked with Oleg about this and he said not to go by the height of the screw as the tolerances of the screw itself are not good enough to go by. Best to use a tweak station and ride height on each corner to measure. This will result in more slop on one side than the other most of the time but still nothing to worry about.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Velocitygt
I have talked with Oleg about this and he said not to go by the height of the screw as the tolerances of the screw itself are not good enough to go by. Best to use a tweak station and ride height on each corner to measure. This will result in more slop on one side than the other most of the time but still nothing to worry about.
Well , I set ride height first on each corner than tweak station and set the droop last ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.