Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hey guys, ran the A700Evo for the first time, and noticed that the bottom front gear box cover splits open a little during every run. I can push up on it with a driver and it pops back into place. The problem is that when the bottom cover dislodges like that, it binds up the movement of the FFG. Anyone come across this? This happens even if I hit nothing.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I raced the Evo this weekend at our Texas onroad series opener this last weekend. My lack of knowledge with this car really showed through, and the lack of anyone else having one there helped nothing.

I made a lot of bad choices with the setup and which chassis to use this weekend but still pulled off a 5th place in the A. The only real gripe I have isn't with the car, it's lack of anyone else local having one to work with. I hate lack of local support to bounce ideas off of.

The plus side, the car was capable of more speed getting onto and coming off of the straight, and would run some serious lines in the infield.

It just wasn't easy to drive most of the time, tires overheated, and no matter what I did the gearing just wasn't right. I wasn't slow, but it just wasn't right.

A rough weekend for sure, but I did take away some knowledge about camber link lengths, damper settings, and why I still don't like the topdeck on an Evo.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mclarein
Well, I raced the Evo this weekend at our Texas onroad series opener this last weekend. My lack of knowledge with this car really showed through, and the lack of anyone else having one there helped nothing.

I made a lot of bad choices with the setup and which chassis to use this weekend but still pulled off a 5th place in the A. The only real gripe I have isn't with the car, it's lack of anyone else local having one to work with. I hate lack of local support to bounce ideas off of.

The plus side, the car was capable of more speed getting onto and coming off of the straight, and would run some serious lines in the infield.

It just wasn't easy to drive most of the time, tires overheated, and no matter what I did the gearing just wasn't right. I wasn't slow, but it just wasn't right.

A rough weekend for sure, but I did take away some knowledge about camber link lengths, damper settings, and why I still don't like the topdeck on an Evo.

Did you start with a conventional setup from Team guys so far?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ricky,

This car can be a little daunting up front to learn as it's design is so different from conventional cars. But once you get the concepts down I thinks it's easier to work on make setup changes. I go through about 10-20 setups changes every Sat i practice just to see how it effects the car.

If your running Mod, Try one of Kyle's and Gee's setups to start if your running on carpet. I believe Gee has a setup for asphalt as well. I'll be sending Kyle's setup from Reedy to Mike soon for him to post.

Kyle and I spent a lot of time at the track to learn this car which i know many don't have the luxury of so if you need help feel free to PM me i'll give you my phone number so you can call or text as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Had another good weekend for end of the 2013/2014 carpet season at my track.

Over the year I have come to learn a lot about the car and can't get enough of running it. I have tried a lot of set ups and I keep coming back to Larry's variations to work the best.

Now it's time to focus on the paved nationals!

Monti
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Ricky,

This car can be a little daunting up front to learn as it's design is so different from conventional cars. But once you get the concepts down I thinks it's easier to work on make setup changes. I go through about 10-20 setups changes every Sat i practice just to see how it effects the car.

If your running Mod, Try one of Kyle's and Gee's setups to start if your running on carpet. I believe Gee has a setup for asphalt as well. I'll be sending Kyle's setup from Reedy to Mike soon for him to post.

Kyle and I spent a lot of time at the track to learn this car which i know many don't have the luxury of so if you need help feel free to PM me i'll give you my phone number so you can call or text as well.
I started with one of Gee's setups, in stock on carpet and the car felt okay. It always feels okay to be honest, but that's the problem I guess. It just doesn't feel "right". I was running the average laptimes the middle of the pack were pulling down. It just didn't feel like it does at my home track. Different tires, sauce, humidity, etc etc. It all comes down to me not spending enough time with the chassis. I want to spend more time on it, but my local carpet is going to be closing soon, so my practice/racing will be cut to once a month for the most part on carpet.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I started with one of Gee's setups, in stock on carpet and the car felt okay. It always feels okay to be honest, but that's the problem I guess. It just doesn't feel "right". I was running the average laptimes the middle of the pack were pulling down. It just didn't feel like it does at my home track. Different tires, sauce, humidity, etc etc. It all comes down to me not spending enough time with the chassis. I want to spend more time on it, but my local carpet is going to be closing soon, so my practice/racing will be cut to once a month for the most part on carpet.
I can send you one of my setups. maybe it will suite your driving style better. pm me with your email.

Is Mike's going to move to a new location or are they closing for good?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
hey guys, ran the A700Evo for the first time, and noticed that the bottom front gear box cover splits open a little during every run. I can push up on it with a driver and it pops back into place. The problem is that when the bottom cover dislodges like that, it binds up the movement of the FFG. Anyone come across this? This happens even if I hit nothing.
I notice the same thing. Absolutely drives me crazy, and I have no idea what to do about it other than pop it back into place after every run. I did grind the plastic stub down on an extra cover and started using it as the bottom cover so at least the movement of the FFG is not affected.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I honestly haven't tired the p10 since snowbirds. I can try them again this weekend. Not sure if anyone has some other thoughts...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

To be honest...I personally don't bother with them.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I honestly haven't tired the p10 since snowbirds. I can try them again this weekend. Not sure if anyone has some other thoughts...
I always run them. I havent noticed any issues with mine, although it does seem like they are tricky to line up initially, you can kind of squish them together sometimes but not be really lined up. I do think they are worth running, to me it seems like the car is more consistent with them. Without them, I think the FFG is prone to shifting on impact, which then greatly changes how the car feels

Mclarien- what doesnt feel right? Your initial post sounded like you were running on asphalt (tires overheating, etc), but you said you were running on carpet?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

I don't use them either since they rub easily if you hit something.... I pulled them all out, and run without them: no rub !!! Now the 2.5t motor is running cold............. I'll be testing further at FBF next week.....
Originally Posted by JayBee
To be honest...I personally don't bother with them.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
not running them is not an option since we run on asphalt with some debris... will take a good look at them later.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stogie
I notice the same thing. Absolutely drives me crazy, and I have no idea what to do about it other than pop it back into place after every run. I did grind the plastic stub down on an extra cover and started using it as the bottom cover so at least the movement of the FFG is not affected.
I looked at this, and found the issue. The top plate holding the bearing holders down is exerting unnecessary force on to the P10 top cover. This then pushes the bottom cover down, distorting it a little away from the small protrusions on the alum gear box. This protrusion keeps the P10 in place. Would be nice if there was a little more contact area to secure the bottom half of P10.

The top plate is on the correct orientation btw. Seems like I can shim the top plate 0.2-0.3mm up to have just enough clearance. Another option is to shave off some material from the dimple on the P10 part that is contacting the chassis. If people can run the FFG without the cover to begin with, I don't see why this isn't viable. Will try later to see how it will go.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
I always run them. I havent noticed any issues with mine, although it does seem like they are tricky to line up initially, you can kind of squish them together sometimes but not be really lined up. I do think they are worth running, to me it seems like the car is more consistent with them. Without them, I think the FFG is prone to shifting on impact, which then greatly changes how the car feels

Mclarien- what doesnt feel right? Your initial post sounded like you were running on asphalt (tires overheating, etc), but you said you were running on carpet?
Carpet, always carpet if I can help it. The tires are still overheating later in the runs, or at least that's what I'm assuming here. Brent sent me his setup and a spreadsheet that answered a few things. I'm going to take the car down this week to the chassis plate and go back through the whole thing and make sure nothing is damaged or about to come apart. I would like to make sure it's 100% mechanically sound before I start chasing gremlins in the setup. I'm going to set my car up identical to Brents and see what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.