Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Yes !
our track is awesome No boards
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-b.jpg  

Last edited by Magnet Top; 03-11-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

You have it backwards. A is the lower and B is the upper.

See attached picture.
Ahh I will fix that post now. Hopefully the visual is helpful to people.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Like this Jake!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-damper-spring-adjustment.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Here's how I consider the operation and set up of the Awesomatix dampers.

The damper and spring are a unit. The damping value is fixed by the oil viscosity within the damper. The spring value is variable, we can change it by altering the B value which I call the spring gap. Changing the B value changes the effective leaf spring length. The shorter the leaf spring the stiffer it becomes, we can validate this by holding a ruler (leaf spring) over the edge of a table and pressing down on it whilst altering it's length.

The A value then changes the leverage applied to the whole unit. More leverage is achieved with a smaller A value and the greater the leverage the softer the spring and damping will feel. I guess this is more synonymous with moving conventional shocks in and out on the lower arm than it is laying them down on the shock tower.

The way I think the set up sheet works is that it produces a wheel rate based on the leaf spring length and lever length acting on that leaf spring. It does not include the resistance felt from damping. So when setting the shocks so the wheel rate is the same but damping is different does produce a different feeling shock, due to the different resistance from different damping. Perhaps a way to validate this is to remove the spring and feel only the damping at different A values.

Hanulec - I get what you are saying, I guess all I disagree with is that I'd expect them to feel different with different damping values at the same spring rate. I have big respect for you if you can push down on a car and then translate that feel onto your own car. It's something I tried for many hours when I got my first Awesomatix, as I wanted to match it to my xray but I could never get there. Very interesting to see how different people take different approaches and ways of thinking of things, hopefully there is something for everyone =]
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

It maybe hard to feel a small difference when you are in the range and close, but I realized my car was setup in the stiffer range, but I had put on the softer range settings by doing the press test on JerryPs car. I didn't have time to swap the screws, so I set it by feel to get close, and the spring was almost maxed out.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Setup sheets from 17.5T ROAR National Champion Kyle Klingforth now available-

http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/setup-sheets.html
Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
I was thinking the same at first, but when you move A in or out, the distance on B or the "hook" does not change.

However, if you look these 2 pictures. The first one shows B = 3mm A = 3mm making the spring rate = 108.4 gf/mm

If you just change the A to 4mm that now makes the spring rate 117.6 gf/mm

Now if you want to increase A but keep the same spring rate you would also need to change B to 3.9mm. (I know .9 is not an option with the gauges but this is just for demonstration.)

" B " is a "passenger" of " A " ( the carrier ).

Simply, for example : if the goal is to maintain spring rate but change damping rate : Move " A " some distance , then move " B " the equal distance but OPPOSITE direction.

( Note. " B " is the position of the RHS ( ride height screw ). The RHS acts as the leverage point on the "leaf" style spring that determines spring rate )

So if you move " A " 2mm East, then move " B " 2mm West. You have successfully changed your damping rate and kept your spring rate exactly the same as before you started.

The only issue comes up when you don't have enough adjustment range in "B". So you sometimes have to use SRS I or SRS II depending on what you are trying to accomplish. The difference between SRS I and SRS II is 4mm.

Jake D.
This is great information guys!! Thank you
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Just wanted to say another big thank you to awesomatixusa.com for shipping another order out to me in the UK. One of the few places in the US I order from as they are very efficient and have cool things I can't get in the UK like the BSR hard bumper. Also a great price on WTF fans. It is worth doing a bigger order though to make full use of the postage costs but if you aren't in the US and need some Awesomatix goodies don't overlook awesomatixusa.com =]

Not often I go around plugging rc shops but I'm always impressed with the service so thought I'd share the love <3
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Congratulations for Simon Noton who TQ'd and won the 13.5 boosted class and for Jamie Holmes who was 2nd at the New Zealand National championships!
https://www.facebook.com/awesomatixRC

Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oleg, any availability date for the relase of the Awesomatix servo? I need a new one and will be interested in it ;-) what about its specs?

Are G07 and G08 the pinions for GD2 diff (and WA02 and WA03 the washers that suits the best for it)? So no need the Xray parts anymore if so?

Any other new items to come?

Cheers,
G-rem
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

" B " is a "passenger" of " A " ( the carrier ).

Simply, for example : if the goal is to maintain spring rate but change damping rate : Move " A " some distance , then move " B " the equal distance but OPPOSITE direction.

( Note. " B " is the position of the RHS ( ride height screw ). The RHS acts as the leverage point on the "leaf" style spring that determines spring rate )

So if you move " A " 2mm East, then move " B " 2mm West. You have successfully changed your damping rate and kept your spring rate exactly the same as before you started.

The only issue comes up when you don't have enough adjustment range in "B". So you sometimes have to use SRS I or SRS II depending on what you are trying to accomplish. The difference between SRS I and SRS II is 4mm.

Jake D.
SERIOUSLY? dude what have you done to me.... you don't expect me to try and learn this or remember it do you. Say Hi to your pit table sharing mate. AKA your shadow
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
SERIOUSLY? dude what have you done to me.... you don't expect me to try and learn this or remember it do you. Say Hi to your pit table sharing mate. AKA your shadow
You can try to retrofit your ARC shock towers and shocks onto your car
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
Congratulations for Simon Noton who TQ'd and won the 13.5 boosted class and for Jamie Holmes who was 2nd at the New Zealand National championships!
https://www.facebook.com/awesomatixRC

Great job guys ! New Zealand National Champion and Runner up too !

Last edited by Magnet Top; 03-13-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.