Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Soft suspension settings only cause traction rolling when your droop is too high... Balance is the key here... Too stiff a roll bar is covering setup errors elsewhere... With the Awesomatix's lower Center of gravity compared to other cars, you'll need to set roll Center even lower than other cars so you won't get the jacking effect that is caused by the roll Center being in the same position as the CG... Therefore, a very high roll Center will seem great to a point, and if you want better Performance , you will need to go to an extremely low roll Center and stiff springs....
Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

By stiff springs, I meant stiffer than the ones you're using now.
Also, short links raises the roll Center vs long links....
Lowering the CG might seem beneficial, but it is only true when the roll Center is also lowered to keep the leverage....
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhavlena
Appreciate the info Jake!

We are only allowed sweep 28 spec tire.

Originally, I was not using the sway bars and the car was traction rolling on every lap, now I use the hardest ones, and now the issue is almost all gone with exception to maybe the first lap....

This gives me the impression that reducing roll will help, thus increasing the roll center, so I agree with Jake, I will try more shims on the A arms in front and adding more shims to increase front width....

Also, I am currently using long camber links both front and back. Wolud you think that trying shorter camber links could help a lot with front roll? more than the shims on the A-arm?

Thanks again!!
Our spec tire at our club is the sweep QTS spec tire ( 32 ) which are very similar to the team powers tires ( 32 as well ) used at Time Zone II GP.
Now it makes more sense! 28's !!

If you have "setup stands" try the shorter and longer camber links on the bench. Press car through full travel and note how camber progresses. Write down total camber gain and how quickly camber changes. Having too little camber can cause the outside edge of tire to take the initial load too quickly, causing the corner entry "pressure spike" ( as Paul Lemieux has explained ) which leads to a traction roll. After observing both long and short camber gain on the bench I'd try both short and long camber links on the track and note what is successful :-). I'm curious what you find. Again, I'm no authority on the subject , so your results are interesting to me and hopefully everyone else!

Edit : to somewhat address your question: Generally changes to the lower A-Arm are more dramatic for roll center adjustment whereas camber link length adjustment has more effect on camber gain, but it effects roll center too since it is all intertwined ! Obviously, its easier to change camber links, so I'd start there... but since you are not saucing any of the fronts it may take more severe changes !

Btw, One thing , if you hadnt already , always check your set of tires to ensure they have perfect glue seams ! No point chasing your tail when it's just a bad tire seam !! I've done that once too many ...

Cheers,

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Also , I want to point out that I was referring to the static roll Center(at rest), not dynamic....
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Also , I want to point out that I was referring to the static roll Center(at rest), not dynamic....

Ah, ok, I was wondering that myself.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Ah, ok, I was wondering that myself.
LMAO!!! That right there funniest post all year
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Wink

Look who's alive !!! It's Donny...ahahah.... Did you go to Russia ??? Longtime No Hear !!! And yes I post on other forums too...ahahah... Hope 360v2 reopens soon !!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone experienced wobbly spur gear once installed, if so, is this an issue?

I usually hold the spur gear when tightening the spur gear nut. Not sure whether this distorts the gear. Are we supposed to tighten the nut without touching the spur gear?

Appreciate everyone's earlier advise.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Has anyone experienced wobbly spur gear once installed, if so, is this an issue?

I usually hold the spur gear when tightening the spur gear nut. Not sure whether this distorts the gear. Are we supposed to tighten the nut without touching the spur gear?

Appreciate everyone's earlier advise.

Thanks!
The spur gear mount has guides that protrude from it that should engage into corresponding holes of the spur gear. Make sure that the two are firmly seated. I use a open box end wrench to tighten the spur.

There have only been a couple of spur gears that were too thin that had excess play. I have had good success with PRS, Kimbourgh and Xenon.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MDawson
The spur gear mount has guides that protrude from it that should engage into corresponding holes of the spur gear. Make sure that the two are firmly seated. I use a open box end wrench to tighten the spur.

There have only been a couple of spur gears that were too thin that had excess play. I have had good success with PRS, Kimbourgh and Xenon.
OK found the problem...thanks!

open box? is this a mechanics slang term?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

OK found the problem...thanks!

open box? is this a mechanics slang term?
open end wrench is what was meant.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've a problem with spool axle AT03 in my new A700L

the gear has disengaged the spool, it spins freely over spool axle...after about two months of life (three races and some tests...)

has anybody the same problem? maybe a production mistake?

in one year with old A700 I hadn't a similar problem...and the spool axle wasn't replaced in the entire life of the car...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Damon
I've a problem with spool axle AT03 in my new A700L

the gear has disengaged the spool, it spins freely over spool axle...after about two months of life (three races and some tests...)

has anybody the same problem?
You might fix it yourself: click
Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

There is the good method of AT03 reparing :

You should pull the crown steel gear off the aluminium wheel of AT03.
Then please clean all contact surfaces on the wheel and gear with good cleaner-degreaser.
Next apply a good retaining compound (Loctite 601, 603, 638, 640, 648 or analogs) and press the gear on the wheel full way untill stop.
The further heating ( to 60-80 deg) will make the hardening of the compound faster.

Last edited by Oleg Babich; 12-31-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Oleg,

You have an PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.