Search

brushless or LiPo?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default brushless or LiPo?!

Hey guys,
So i did a whole bunch of research but i've come to these final questions. I can only afford one upgrade, so should i get a brushless setup or a LiPo battery? Do i need a specific type of ESC for LiPo batteries? Also, i have 2 questions for LiPo Chargers. Are they are any good LiPo chargers for less than $50? And do i have to get this balancer thing with it too? I'm so confused! Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Normally I would recommend going the brushless setup as you'll love the ease of maintenance and increased track time you'll get by not having to maintain your brushed motors.

However, you're not going to have much fun racing when your batteries die and you need to replace them. So for this reason, I am going to suggest you get a couple lipos and a balance charger.

I would say get the following..

2 x Intellect IP3800 hardcase lipos
1 x GT Power V5 balance/charger (balances and charges, dont need anything else)

You could probably pick this up for < $150 USD from rcMart of RC-Mushroom. In fact, last time I went looking I think one of those sites had a pack which contained pretty much what I suggested above.

Make the switch to lipos now, you'll never look back. The money saved on having to replace dead NiMH packs that dont even last 6mths can go towards getting your brushless setup.

-Mark

PS. here's some links and prices for you...

GT Power V5 Charger - $65USD
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=15397

Intellect IP3800 - $55USD
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=15241

ok so i was wrong on the prices, but for $175USD you'll be set for batteries for hopefully 12mths....

Last edited by mok; 10-29-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added links/prices
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cheezburger
Hey guys,
should i get a brushless setup or a LiPo battery? !
Interesting post....I'm in the same boat...what to do?

Mok's reply makes good sence. But I already have a ton of good nimH's so I'm going to get the brusless motor first. I will replace my nimH's with lipo as they wear out.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i will go for LIPO.....no maintenance and can save you TONS of money....

got for IP 3800mah 35C......cheap n PUNCHY!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

LiPo battery packs should be always charged with a balancer. Today you should buy a charger that has a balancer built in. Balancer checks every cell separately during charging so that they all get charged equally. That is very important with LiPo packs, because if one cell gets charged to a voltage over 4.2V it basically swells up and explodes. If you look at LiPo packs you see that in addition to + and - connectors they have extra connectors to monitor each individual cell. With 2S LiPo it is not very critical to always use balancer, but you still should!

Always charge the LiPo in a fireproof LiPo Sack and never leave it charging unsupervised.

I would buy the biggest capacity LiPo that can be put on the car without exceeding the weight limit too much. Bigger capacity LiPo gives you higher overall voltage during the run.

Basically all ESC-s that support 6-cell work with LiPo. But LiPo has over the 5-minute run higher average voltage and probably gives out more amps also. So you will get more power to the engine which can mean that the ESC heats more. So if you are running the ESC on its limit be carefull and maybe use some extra cooling.

Another important thing with LiPos is that you should NEVER go below 3.0 - 3.2V per cell (6.0 - 6.4V for 2S pack). If you do it there will be some irreversible chemistry inside the LiPo and it will perform worse or be ruined for good. New ESCs have built in LiPo cutoff, but I don't have it on my ESC and if I run 5-minute then I take only 30% out of the battery so I'm safe. I can run 10 minutes without going close to the critical voltage.

I'm running LiPo + brushed at the moment. I wouldn't consider running NiMH ever again. If you have everything needed to run brushed motors then continue doing it with LiPo. I'm running brushed until the end of this year because its faster than brushless that's allowed by our rules

I think both LiPo and brushless give you more trust in your car/equipment. LiPo doesn't run out and brushless doesn't need so much care and maintenance.

Last edited by lauri; 10-30-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm IMO I would and have purchased brushless over lipo every time. With the new crop of NIMH batteries weather it is Orion, Ener-g EP etc they last, can be used multiple times, etc. Plus you don't have to be creative and put 5 million pounds of stick on weights on your ride. So my option would be get a brushless system. You can get a Losi system for about $200, esc and motor, and the rest of the manufactures can be had for under $300. The great thing about brushless over Lipo is that the motor does not fade, if you race against other people with brushless your gearing will be the same as well as speed, no brushes to deal with, longer runtime, and most of all zero maintains. You also will save money because instead of tuning 3 different motors you have 1 motor for your class and just run the hell out of it. I also think most importantly you will have the same speed, if you put a LiPo in and use a brushed motor you will not be at the same speed. So if you want to run competitively I rather have the same speed over easy battery use. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

I would recommend with the brushless system first.... Brushless set up with NIMH will be really competitive vs a Brushed lipo combo in racing....
Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would say if your current batteries are good, go with the brushless first. But if your motors and batteries are both circling the drain, go LiPo. You can always true a comm (or buy a new one) in the meantime.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

I would suggest the venom/speed passion (same same just a label ) cos for $245 aud its performance is hard to beat. I've raced it in my sp12,t4,custom works and its superb, easy programming too