Wiki Posts
Search

What do racers look for in a track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victory Side
... Is there such a thing as too big of a layout?
I would say yes as if it is too big, then it might not be very fun, also the track can be too small which makes the racing boaring.

I don't know what a good sized track is for on-road as I mostly race off-road, but for a off-road track lap times in the 25-35 sec range makes for a good sized electric track, and 30-45 sec range makes a good sized nitro track.

John, that is beacuse most track stay around $15 or lower. Although being that you said somthing, there are a lot of kids, or teens that are low on cash, so if the entry fee stays low more people will be back, which equals more racers.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

I have a track and I am hoping to improve the turn out
I checked your profile and mapped it and your track seems to be miles away from a major city or huge suburb.

If it were me, and I was running a track I wanted to be around for a while, I'd work on getting as many rookie/newbie racers into my place as I could anyway I could. I'd market my racing to people who are very near geographicallly to me. New racers who find a place that is friendly, helpful and a new source of entertainment attract more new people and you build a race program from the ground up.

Anyone else who is already a racer will gravitate to the place if you have the personality to run a fun place and a fun race.

Don't kiss the asses of established racers to keep them showing up. Market to new people and let the seasoned racers know you need their help and experience to draw the new racers into the program.

If you have seasoned racers value their opinions, utilize their suggestions when those suggestions are based on what makes your whole racing program get better. Let the seasoned racers know your goal is creating more racers which in turn keeps your place up and running.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Boy was I disappointed to see this mess of a layout in Sun Valley. Los Angeles should have a facility that rivals the big Euro tracks.
Attached Thumbnails What do racers look for in a track?-sv-speedway.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

dont forget clean bathrooms, fully stocked, and not a porto-potty. Been to a few tracks with some nasty or lack there of a bathroom.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Clean flat racing surface with Clean restrooms......

Bonus would be a small hobby shop and covered pit area
Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi,

would be nice if track is easy on tires (i.e. very smooth asphalt) and easy on cars so that no parts break

thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

traction.

not-high tire wear. Good atmosphere, no blind spots, well stocked hobby shop (optional in my book though), good announcing. Ive been to some really nice tracks but sometimes the announcing just sucked and was boring, this is not a good thing if theres a croud and stuff.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Yesterday 06:58 PM
John Warner

One thing I've noticed is that not one person mentioned entry fee prices!
I think you'll find that most racers will pay for good competition in the proper atmosphere. Now obviously, there is a point when you scare off some racers so you have to feel things out in your area. The going rate for club races seems to be $10 per class plus $5 transponder rental if you need it.

As for what I like in a track...

1. Knowledgable racers and staff who are willing to help out and answer
questions.

2. Decent location, fuel prices have recently been effecting my willingness
to drive long distances to tracks. so im sure it has effected others as
well.

3. A well stocked hobby shop with support for various chassis pertaining to
the type of track and the ability to quickly get parts for the oddball
ones.

4. A layout that's easily changed each month, regardless of the type of
track. Obviously there isnt much you can do with an oval, but you get
the idea. There has to be a challenge or it stops being fun.

5. The racing surface and the walls need to be well maintained. I've had
splinters from the walls stab my cars before so I imagine that's more
important to me than most people.

Beyond the points above, I just want to have fun. If the atmosphere doesn't lend itself to being fun then I wont be back. Racers have to take some responsibility for their actions and keep things fun but competitive. If you lose this week because of "some guy"... just beat him next week
Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

True to scale tracks. Doesn't have to be an exact replica, but tracks that have "realistic" layouts are best (IMO.) Open it up a little so the cars can lay down some speed, after all it is a race. Don't go overboard on the technical maze/zig zag stuff thats hard on motors.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I checked your profile and mapped it and your track seems to be miles away from a major city or huge suburb.

If it were me, and I was running a track I wanted to be around for a while, I'd work on getting as many rookie/newbie racers into my place as I could anyway I could. I'd market my racing to people who are very near geographicallly to me. New racers who find a place that is friendly, helpful and a new source of entertainment attract more new people and you build a race program from the ground up.

Anyone else who is already a racer will gravitate to the place if you have the personality to run a fun place and a fun race.

Don't kiss the asses of established racers to keep them showing up. Market to new people and let the seasoned racers know you need their help and experience to draw the new racers into the program.

If you have seasoned racers value their opinions, utilize their suggestions when those suggestions are based on what makes your whole racing program get better. Let the seasoned racers know your goal is creating more racers which in turn keeps your place up and running.
I really value this input. We have an amazing base of new racers. This is basically what the track has been for 2 years. We are slowly getting more experienced racers. As far as fees we try to keep them to minimal. Usually one paid event a month can maintain my costs to keep the track operating. Main reason is access to a facility for a very very low cost. We have insurance for the track and electric are the main things. Mostly we love to race and want the track to be the best it can be.

Oh and we do have clean restrooms. Unless someone blows a gasket
Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rewp
4. A layout that's easily changed each month, regardless of the type of
track. Obviously there isnt much you can do with an oval, but you get
the idea. There has to be a challenge or it stops being fun.
Many of the racers dont want it changed all the time. SO far twice a year seems to make everyone happy. Especially the newer racers feel they are just learning a track layout when its changed. Any recommendations as to how often to change layout? Or do I just listen to the racers?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hot trophy girls
Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Many of the racers dont want it changed all the time. SO far twice a year seems to make everyone happy. Especially the newer racers feel they are just learning a track layout when its changed. Any recommendations as to how often to change layout? Or do I just listen to the racers?
The best way to go to keep everyone happy, and to even the feild again is to change the track every 4 weeks.

Also when the track layout is changed everyone has to learn it, just the guy's with exp. learn it faster.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

What is 360 using for its boards?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
One thing I've noticed is that not one person mentioned entry fee prices!
this is because die hards will pay what it takes to race in a quality place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.