What does racing really cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does racing really cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

dont foreget to throw all the reciepts away no evidance no crime.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

HMMM let's see racers wanna do the sport as cheaply as possible, so what happens...... SPEC CLASSES!!!!!

Next steps.....

racing is fun agian and driving is the ticket agian........

some racers can't actually stomache that "they" may be the reason they can't win.....

these racers buy dynos, battery zappers.... 20 spec motors and 30 spec packs to find the "best".....

these racers finally rise to the top agian.....

monetarily challenged racers end up at the bottom agian and eventually give up on racing......

..... To me very serious racers are almost always the damage to the sport... Spec classes are meant to be fun, however once a very serious racer starts to race it to get back to having fun... then they agian start to get too serious and squash the newly formed "fun class".......
Old 09-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Somewhat true, but I don't think it is quite that black and white. I think there are racers that fit all ends of the spectrum. I imagine that there are some racers out there, that are the best of the best, that don't have to spend 100000s of dollars to win, that just LOVE having fun driving their cars and couldnt care less about anything else... granted they are a smaller breed... but you get what im saying.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was thinking, and my cousin is Matt Rossi, he used to run with USAC, but now runs with SCRA, and my uncle sponors him. If I added up all the money he has spent on trailers, chassis's, wheels and tires, and spairs, I would DIE. He puts every penny he has into though, he's spent in the millions on racing so far..yes, near the millions . I also used to race quarter midgets and that makes this look like nothing, just thinking about my uncles deal and I wanna puke. Not only could he go to Japan a lot and have the best stuff on the market, but he could also drive to the local track in a nice Saleen S7R...ahhh, I just want 1/10 of whats he's spent on it....hell, he could have his own rc car out on the market. Here's a pic of one of my cousins older cars...
Attached Thumbnails What does racing really cost?-matt.jpg  
Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Hahah

It is never a wise idea to figure out what you have spent on a hobby...

BUt in my younger datys of hooking up imports where blowing $3000+ for a set of "JDM Volk Rims" or $2500 for a nice "JDM" kit and paint, and all being too afraid to drive the car, lest it be stolen or damaged, suddenly a $350 XRay RC car seems like chump change =)

It's a hell of alot more affordable and more reasonable, now that I have a newborn. Keeps me out of trouble =)

Old 09-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Megabucks into a hobby

Yeah I'm more of a budget guy. I have plenty of fun just cruising my car around on the street, and launching off jumps in the forest; while videotaping it all. I've never actually raced anybody with the same class of vehicle. To me, a hobby is something to enjoy, not smething that should rule a person. I feel that it loses the fun when you are splitting hairs for that extra 2 or 3% more speed.
My car is 6 years old, the bushings are worn, tolerances have widened. It has had its share of crashes. I won't buy another chassis for a long time though, because I have so many memories with the original car.
Keep it fun
Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Hahah

Originally posted by dynamic_e
It is never a wise idea to figure out what you have spent on a hobby...

BUt in my younger datys of hooking up imports where blowing $3000+ for a set of "JDM Volk Rims" or $2500 for a nice "JDM" kit and paint, and all being too afraid to drive the car, lest it be stolen or damaged, suddenly a $350 XRay RC car seems like chump change =)

It's a hell of alot more affordable and more reasonable, now that I have a newborn. Keeps me out of trouble =)

HAHA, thats what I'm about to do, was it worth your time and money?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default LOL

Well, the fun lasted a while, but after I got new priorities(starting a family, establishing a carrear), I sold off my import hookup business and went into insurance. I think about those days sometimes....

...car shows with young female teens dressing hooch, kids wanting to act gansta and staring at the little hooch girls running around, spending much bucks on turbos and engine buildups, when really just using the car to show off to others, people staring at the car at the local cruize spots...it had it's days of fun and it's merits. But, after adding up what i've spent on it, I could have put a downpayment on a nice home

I used to drive a 91 Toyota MR2 and a 86 Toyota AE86 GTS....now I drive a more family oriented 4dr integra...the only mod is the baby seat in the back

When I get a little older and have cash to burn, i'll get back into it...by then, imports will be like old guys and the hot rods today...my kids will be hooking up their "hovercars" while good ole dad is trying to relive his youngerdays hooking up a supra or something like that

If its worth it is up to you...but there are better things to spend money on
Old 09-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by antoniop
Hey, the bike is intact!!!

Racing costs a lot less than marriage.

If you want to race and you're not married... let it be...

If you're married then lie lie lie.

Try to paint all your bodies the same way. They pay attention to handbags not being coordinated with shoes, but that they can't really tell.
All cars look the same to them

If you have kids, try to blame it on them. It's the kids car, it's the Mini Z for the kid etc etc.

Try to look surprised when you find a track to race on near your summer vacation spot (i really did this one wonderfully). Amazingly I had to return home for a day to deal with some business issues. On my way back I took the cars (go figure...)

If you buy online, buy something online for her, like books in Amazon. On the CC balance they all look the same (I have the damn house filled with books now).

NEVER but NEVER use a speadsheet to add all your spending if you are over 35. Chances of a coronary are enormous.

If you stopped using one thing take it out of sight. Never put the 4 chargers and 5 ESC close to one another.

If you can't sell a chassis full of hop ups CONVINCE yourself it's a rare car and treat it like a collectors item. You'll feel much better.

Don't leave half used tires around. Ditch them fast. Adding their cost mentally will depress you.

And never expect to spend less in the future. It wont happen. You'll just change to bigger cars due to poor vision (it comoes with age you know?) and that my friend , is true ruin...

Very Funny When I wasn't married I use to race alot. I raced paved oval, dirt oval, On-road, Off-road and would try to make the nationals of at least two of the forms of racing a year. I was olny able to keep up that kind of pace for three years before I burned out. I now olny race on-road
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've raced Quarter Midgets, 3 different classes of Stock Cars (will be class #4 next year), and of course r/c cars. I'll be honest, I really don't pay for my stock car racing, I bring in as much money in sponsorships as possible, and my dad covers the rest. BUT, I am very very aware of how much more expensive full size racing is than r/c racing. Like someone said, 1/10 racing costs about 1/10 as much, it's still not CHEAP though. Does r/c have to cost you alot of money??? Hell no! But if you're like most of us, and demand perfection from your equipment, it's not going to be a cheap hobby by any means. It's definately cheaper than most hobbies though, and I think alot more fun! So really, who cares what it costs? As long as you're having fun, you keep spending, I keep spending, Trinity keeps getting richer, etc, etc, etc....

Personally, I don't know what I've spent on this hobby, and I really don't care. When I figure that out, it'll be because I'm figuring out prices to sell everything for and get out of this hobby!
Old 09-18-2003, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

no i disagree.yeah you get people who have fun but when you race you want to find extra speed which dont actually always cost but youve also got to have knowledge to how to tune it to best performance.
i like to think maybe if i can get 3-4% more out of the motor then its more 3-4% advantage to me.
but then ive been racing for 5 years and it rules my life.
all i think about is r/c racing.getting performance.getting that little advantage.
now to some one who thinks its about fun then might not agree bcause its ruling my life but iam learning so much and it is actully fun.
u know i never go out wiv my mates ive had loads of chances of having girl friends and i have never had a girl friend[iam 18]
bcause i think it will be distracting plus more money that can be spent on my car.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

trf racer - It is about fun, you said it yourself "now to some one who thinks its about fun then might not agree bcause its ruling my life but iam learning so much and it is actully fun."
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

let's not talk about our sad pathetic lives here...
racing costs this much: as MUCH AS U CAN possibly spend.
i can spend prolly a thou a year,so i spend it.
some of the ppl i know spend a coupla thou's and some even 10's of thousands.
it's all bcos they can afford it.
i think we have the same amount of fun,although i have more frustrations from being unable to get the best,latest or fastest
while the richer guys would be more frustrated to know i whooped their Mugens,V1RR's,team matched cells and dyno tuned motors with my stock V1S and TC3 and unmatched cells.
yes , it boils down to fun.
whenever i feel too stressed from RC,i take a break(and get withdrawal )
Old 09-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by lee82gx
let's not talk about our sad pathetic lives here...
Who talked about sad and pathetic life???

Our lives are not sad and pathetic at all. We are all having a blast with RC. Some of us just need to deal with the wives, the purse or the job. That's life.

What I can see is that budget and hobby should never be used in the same sentence.

It's a hobby, done for recreational purposes to the best of our ability. Whether top racing or bashing a car it really does not matter. The purpose if FUN.

As someone said, when the fun is not a huge part of racing, and the victory takes to much attention and money then the principle is gone. From there to being an arrogant AH is just a step.

I try to keep track of what brought me to the hobby. Having a lot of fun playing with toy cars and returning home with a smile.

A person can have that with a Nikko, a Mini Z or a 1/5 scale car. It's up to each of us to find what fits our budget and try to get the most of it.

Is this sad at all?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Well said... I however have the best of both worlds. I get enjoyment from this hobby on MANY levels:

1. The fun of driving a scale car. Its fun, challenging, etc.
2. I am a competitor. I can RACE my tiny cars against others, and I love to win (or at least strive to win). So RC brings out the competitive nature in me. This needs to be satisfied or it might come out in other, more expensive way
3. And I think what is most important of all, "Comradery". Nothing is more fun then when I get to go to the track on race day, with a good friend, maybe meet a couple other friends there (hey shermanator!). We get to hang out, hobby together, share tips and tricks, get some food, drive our cars and have a good time.

#3 is what I believe the sport to be all about. This can be achieved at any level of money spending.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.