Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default Slack in the rear shocks

So with the stock kit and factory setup, I have slack in the rear shocks. Basically, with the suspension fully unloaded, I can freely slide the whole spring up and down a bit before I hit the preload or the bottom of the shock.

Is this normal? Is it anything to worry about? Should I use a larger preload spacer in the rear to take up the slack?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by redbones
Shocks being long is ok. Just make sure they are all the same length. Your down travel will be limited by the droop screws anyway. Don't over tighten the lower ball joint as it may cause binding. If you build it exactly how the manual states, you should have about 5mm ride height. It is important to have the pushrods the correct length too.
I had the same problem this is what redbones told me and it solved my problem.
my pushrods were not the correct length as per the manual.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kraig822
I had the same problem this is what redbones told me and it solved my problem.
my pushrods were not the correct length as per the manual.
When you say pushrod, do you mean the piston rod that goes inside the shock (BD11)? Or are you talking about the turnbuckles in the front that attach the the shock rocker arm to the front arm? Keep in mind that I'm talking about the rear shocks only here. The front is fine.

The manual is pretty vague here and doesn't say anything about proper length for the piston rod. Also, my rear turnbubkles are set to 19mm as per the manual. Thoughts?

One other thing I noticed is that there's a V2 part that I assume goes on the end of the piston rod. The manual doesnt mention it, but its longer than the V1 part and would probably take up the slack on the spring.

Last edited by bluesxman; 07-12-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

bluesxman For the rear I just adjusted my droop screws so that the down travel does not let the shock spring hang loose. If you limit the down travel it should not let the pushrod fully extend. At first I had lots of slop between in the spring. after the adjustment its snug and I have the v4 spacer in there. before the adjustment I had to put the biggest spacer in the kit to make up for the slop. hope this helps.
By pushrods i meant the link that connects the front arm to the cantilever, but you said the rear I guess I didn't see that part sorry.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

bluesxman For the rear I just adjusted my droop screws so that the down travel does not let the shock spring hang loose. If you limit the down travel it should not let the pushrod fully extend. At first I had lots of slop between in the spring. after the adjustment its snug and I have the v4 spacer in there. before the adjustment I had to put the biggest spacer in the kit to make up for the slop. hope this helps.
By pushrods i meant the link that connects the front arm to the cantilever, but you said the rear I guess I didn't see that part sorry.
Thanks for the help. I also wonder if its worth shifting the shock over one hole to the center on the rear arms. At any rate, I'm not convinced its a problem, but I thought it seemed strange that the factory setup would have that slack.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

No problem bluesxman. It is kinda strange that the shocks come from the factory a little to long. This is the first time I have experienced it. Another way I have heard of fixing it is putting an o-ring on the shock piston rod inside the shock body just under the shock piston to limit the travel of the shock piston rod. That way seems like you could miss out on the extra shock travel.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default silver can fdr

Could anyone recommend a fdr for the TB-03 with a silver can. I would like to have more speed. Also after the first run I noticed the motor was hot to the touch and the esc was warm. Esc is teu 101bk and batteries are ener-g 4600. Is the car possibly under geared?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

My latest blog has been posted. Check it out!

http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/myb...-the-tb03.html

Jimmy Wright
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Could anyone recommend a fdr for the TB-03 with a silver can. I would like to have more speed. Also after the first run I noticed the motor was hot to the touch and the esc was warm. Esc is teu 101bk and batteries are ener-g 4600. Is the car possibly under geared?
Well, with the stock setup, the can gets very hot for me too with 6 cell nimh. The batteries dont heat up too badly though. Personally, I'm not too worried about it. Worst case, I burn up a $5 motor.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got to hold a newly built TB03 today. My friend Timmie's. It's a very nice and completely smooth kit. I'm soo tempted to get one! Completely sealed drivetrain. Only thing I don't like is the huge amounts of steering slop from the plastic and bushings. But I'm sure this will be fixed with the steering hopup kit. Can't wait to see it on the track!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I got to hold a newly built TB03 today. My friend Timmie's. It's a very nice and completely smooth kit. I'm soo tempted to get one! Completely sealed drivetrain. Only thing I don't like is the huge amounts of steering slop from the plastic and bushings. But I'm sure this will be fixed with the steering hopup kit. Can't wait to see it on the track!
I've put that sealed drivetrain to the test too. Driving in sandy and rocky parking lots, I've had zero problems with debris in the gears. I've had little pebbles get lodged in the suspension arms or between the motor and shaft. Basically the car ignores all the trash and keeps trucking.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the update Jimmy, it's nice to hear from a tamiya driver with the same car. I raced RCGT that day also in the sportsman class. I always had my eye on your car while turn marshaling. Care to share your setup ? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Jimmy Wright
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Jimmy Wright
So the link requires a login and I see no way to create one. Anyway the average joe can read this?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
So the link requires a login and I see no way to create one. Anyway the average joe can read this?
If you scroll down a little bit, link is on the left. "First major event wi..."
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I have built many smooth diffs in the past, but i cant seem to get my tb-03 diff feeling that smooth.

Any one else noticed this?

was wondering if the evo V ms balls and the alum tamiya outdrives will help this.

or if its the thrust bearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.