Wiki Posts
Search

"NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
(why is racing cars called motorsport then when they use engines?)
all engines are motor but not all motors are engines
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egalsim
What do you think you are racing? ALL of these R/C cars are toys. This is not a real sport, you gotta be kidding me. The whole hobby is a bunch of guys playing with toy cars. The only thing is, the TC R/C cars now look like they were designed by 5 year olds drawing for the first time. At least in Vintage Trans AM, there is an EFFORT to replicate something that actually exists. Like i said, if you want something that really works, race a pan car with a body without windows and a bunch of wings all over the place, then you got something that "really works" for all you "true racers".
Sounds like someone could use some

and a

I'm just messin with you. So take that as a joke.

You did make some valid points, but there is NO NEED to come the internet and bash Dale's work.

Adding to the costs of licensing, the market for realistic touring car bodies is rather low in comparison. Touring cars started with realistic type bodies, but the minute someone changed a little here to gain performance; it was up to the next guy to out do that. A few years down the road and you have what we have today.

Racing is racing, it doesn't matter what it looks like; what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday. Dale has stated probably a hundred times before that he would rather do realistic shells.All these companies are trying to do is sell a product that fits popular depmand and puts food on their families tables.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up ROAR APPROVED!

The PROTOform "R9-F" racebody is now ROAR approved.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails "NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body-chrisfarley.gif  
Old 06-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daleepp
or8ital;

automater;
Sorry for slow responce to answer your question regarding the slatted wing detail. Yes - I believe that a wing (air deflector - to be more accurate) will work with more efficiency if the slots are opened ip with a dremel tool. It seems pretty rare that anyone takes the time to do it properly. Too time consuming I guess. ?
A friend of mine Martin Crisp - who's been one of Canada's best sedan racers in past years did take the time to test the theories (that I believe) regarding slatted wings and was also convinced there was a performance benefit.
I'll explain more in a followup post.

Best regards - Dale - Protoform

Hi Dale, can you give us more info on this ?
Thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok, seems to me like the r9-f is similar to the dna. The wing can be moved forward to take some 'stick' out of the run, but I'm wondering where the pivot point is supposed to be on the body? thanks for the help.

and to anyone who thinks these are just 'toys' I dare you to race IIC.

Last edited by The Bear; 06-14-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: better
Old 06-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

egalism

You are a tool. Obviously you know nothing about physics and racing. Just because these car are models don't mean they do not perform or out perform like real race cars. Although scaled down, these rc cars will blow the doors off of real Porche 911 or and stock car. You don't belong to this hobby since you don't believe this is racing.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trigger
egalism

You are a tool. Obviously you know nothing about physics and racing. Just because these car are models don't mean they do not perform or out perform like real race cars. Although scaled down, these rc cars will blow the doors off of real Porche 911 or and stock car. You don't belong to this hobby since you don't believe this is racing.
OOH, sorry to hurt your little feewings about your little toy cars. I'll let you play with your little toys r us looking cars at the little rc car race track then.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In all honesty, i like the looks of a race body better than a "scale" looking body.

It makes the cars look sleeker and faster.

Personally i would love a generic looking bubble that looks sleek and smooth, but i would never want to put a '67 camaro body on my tc.

jmo.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

realistic bodies are cool and all, but bodies that don't work are just no fun to drive.. i think there is room in the hobby for both...
Old 06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
realistic bodies are cool and all, but bodies that don't work are just no fun to drive.. i think there is room in the hobby for both...

agreed, and if you think that the body has no effect, run the body that looks the best, just don't expect to tq and win the A
Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Bear
ok, seems to me like the r9-f is similar to the dna. The wing can be moved forward to take some 'stick' out of the run, but I'm wondering where the pivot point is supposed to be on the body? thanks for the help.

so, I don't give a tinkers damn about how the bodies look. I do care if they work. I'd really like to hear back from the maker on the rotation point.

and this is a sport. if you don't think so, look at japan.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so, I don't give a tinkers damn about how the bodies look. I do care if they work. I'd really like to hear back from the maker on the rotation point.

and this is a sport. if you don't think so, look at japan.
Only the bear is awesome enough to be able to quote himself...

I have started to run this shell. I think it can be compared to a DNA that is not as stuck to the track, and rotates pretty fiercely. I have to add some more clearance to the wheel openings, as I am still getting body tucks... So much for that being a lightweight bodyshell problem... I think I will also add the other preventative measures that others have been adding to their chassis to help prevent tucks.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well, let's see, you can't ride in a R/C car, it serves no purpose, other than fun, so yeah, it's not a sport, it's just a hobby with toy cars.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by egalsim
Well, let's see, you can't ride in a R/C car, it serves no purpose, other than fun, so yeah, it's not a sport, it's just a hobby with toy cars.
Any sport does not serve a purpose other than fun unless you get paid to participate. There are some very lucky RC drivers that get paid to participate so I am thinking that it IS a sport.

But for arguements sake I checked the definition of sport. on Dictionary.com there were many definition for the word sport but the two that stand out to me are:

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

and

17. to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.

Even your statement fits perfectly into these definitions. So in short RC racing = Sport.

And yes I was really bored when I posted this.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am new to this forum but not new to the RC hobby/sport, whatever you want to call it. But it does amaze me that a thread where someone releases a new product turns into a pissin match about whether this is a hobby or a sport, who cares. It amuses me and I meet some nice people at the meets.
The point is someone has released a new product. Period!
It looks like a great body.
The questions we should be asking is, how does it perform?
Is there any documentable info as to its performance?
Does it compare to body "X" or "Y"?
How much is it?
And when can we see it on the store shelves?

This guy has spent hours on the design and production of this product and he deserves a lil respect. He is trying to further the rc industry and promote new people to get into it.
So please try to stay on topic and show some respect.

Maybe I feel this way because I myself am a manufactureer of parts for the rc industry and it is disturbing to me to have this happen to one of my threads. It makes me want to sell my machines and get out of it all together. I dont make a ton of money at it, I do it because I love the people that are affiliated with it and the time I spend outdoors enjoying life.

That being said, I like the looks of the body and will try one as soon as my DNA2 is torn up and you release the asphalt version.
Kudos bud!

So all you 10 year olds flame away.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.