Search

"NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
why are leightweoghts more expensive,
The thinner material might be a custom thickness and that would be more expensive to get. Just because it's less material doesn't mean that it's going to be cheaper.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=a_main_attendee;4743216]why are leightweoghts more expensive/QUOTE]

A guess, but perhaps more lightweight are mishapen when coming off of the mould, and designated sub standard.

Kevin
Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
why are leightweoghts more expensive,

lets material should equal less price, right?

And its not like they are machining the material to tight tolerences, they just lay down a thinner sheet
the same applies to clothing..
smaller sizes are not cheaper than larger sizes

my guess is its a marketing decision... standard vs race/tuned etc.

-mark
Old 08-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

I thought lightweight bodies were "illegal" in big races now? Why use it in a club race if you can't at a big race? My baseball coach always told me "Practice how you play." Just my $0.01.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FOXY923
I thought lightweight bodies were "illegal" in big races now? Why use it in a club race if you can't at a big race? My baseball coach always told me "Practice how you play." Just my $0.01.
I was just wondering d00de, i'd turn a lightweight body into lexan dust within a couple of runs anyway, so they are worth nothing to me.

The price just caught my eye and made me wonder.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Default R9-R Racebody

a_main_attendee;
- the jury is still out as to weather the LW laterial is "less durable", "as durable" or even "more durable" (believe it or not) I've heard all three opinions for the past couple of years. Personally I tend to agree with the "less durable" opinion. Bottom line is: just how good are the drivers that are drawing these conclusions. (??) Durability is never an issue with guys of Lemieux's or Baker's driving ability.

- as stated by Fred_B the .025 gauge lexan material is a "custom milled" - "special order" product, so it costs considerably more. Extra time and care is required in the vacuum forming process as well. (as a side note: Lexan is an oil by-product - and as we all know the cost of oil had doubled in the last year. This added expense has finally caught up with the plastic/lexan suppliers and us as manufacturers. Please don't scream if bodies go up a buck in price. The real recipients of that cash are Exxon and some camel jockeys that hate us)

- you're so right about the paint on that R9-R. It sure wasn't what I had been promised - not even close. Roly and my son Adam were just too buried with work. I'll be repacing it with one of Roly's "stunners" asap.

FOXY923
Lightweight bodies are still legal at large events in all classes other than Foam/Carpet classes where the "ultra-light weight .020" bodies had been used. In Carpet/Foam class specifically only Regular Weight .030 bodies will be allowed.

Dale - Protoform
Old 09-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

looking at some pictures from vegas of the r9-f, it seems the bodies are not being cut on the gbs line, but possibly the line above it. is that legal?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

LOW ET;
Technically, there's no actual GBS cut/trim line. The min. height allowed at ROAR, EFRA and IFMAR races is 115mm so I put a trim line that will help "get you in the ballpark" with the body height. (give or take a mm or two) The many independently staged races like the IIC, Snowbirds and US Indoor Champs don't have any min. height rule - so the guys are free to slam 'em as much as they want. At the IIC - some were slammed to the point of looking ridiculous.

(personally - I like the 115mm height rule for all sedan racing but..... )

INCIDENTALLY - The Protoform R9-F was used by all 10 of the Modified Sedan A-Main qualifiers at the IIC race in Vegas.
Ray Darroch gave the body its first ever A-Main win with his victory in the 10.5 main, with Keven Hebert's R9-F bodied car also on the same podium. It was a very satisfying debut for the R9-F to say the least.

Thanks guys

Dale - Protoform Race Bodies
Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Yep Dale those R9-F's did look good. And Ray's win in 10.5 foam was sweet. Made me question the other body which I was using
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

just got my 2 R9-R bodys painted and mounted. i have a FT-TC4 and a Corally RDX, on both my bodies after trimmed there sitting about 1/2" - 5/8" from the ground. they look like crap. the R9 F body looks sweet on both cars and sets alot lower to the ground. is anyone else seeing this problem. love the body but hate the R version.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

touringdriver;
What you're saying about the 1/2 - 5/8ths inch clearance under the mounted R9-R makes no sence to me whatsoever. It should fit the same as the R9-F even with larger rubber tires because there's additional clearance for 63mm tires.

How much clearance do you have under your chassis plate? Did you adjust your bodymounts correctly? Do you have the proper shock tower on the front? What part(s) exactly is holding the body up that high? The one in the photo is sitting on a TC4 chassis with no clearance issues at all.

Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails "NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body-1498_side.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had no issues on my TC5 getting my R9-R slammed. The fit is awesome! I trimmed on the trim lines, mounts had to be dropped a couple holes in the front from the Mazda 6 I had mounted and IIRC one hole down in the rear. I could have gone yet another hole down front and rear but with a 5 - 5.5mm ride height I didn't want the body to touch the ground at full suspension compression. Trim lines are perfect - no need for major trimming in the wheel wells to avoid 'body tucks' and where mine is mounted it won't rub the wheel wells at all when the suspension is compressed.

With the R9-R mounted on the chassis it's roof and hood is still lower than just setting the Mazda 6 shell next to it on the table. I'll be running at the track with it tomorrow and can't wait to see how it handles!

I'm super happy with the R9-R Dale!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Why would you trim the body to be 1/2+" off the ground?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

i did'nt trim the body to be 1/2" off the ground. i trimmed them on the line. on my tc4 and rdx the body is sitting on the front shock towers. by all means guys i'm not dish'n the body. hell i love it. my problem is i trimmed on the line and it's 1/2 plus off the ground. tc4 droop is 5mm and 4mm. don't remember off hand on the rdx. i know the f body has several lines to choose from. but the r has only one line. so that takes the choice out of the equation.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by daleepp
touringdriver;
What you're saying about the 1/2 - 5/8ths inch clearance under the mounted R9-R makes no sence to me whatsoever. It should fit the same as the R9-F even with larger rubber tires because there's additional clearance for 63mm tires.

How much clearance do you have under your chassis plate? Did you adjust your bodymounts correctly? Do you have the proper shock tower on the front? What part(s) exactly is holding the body up that high? The one in the photo is sitting on a TC4 chassis with no clearance issues at all.

Dale - Protoform
dale: i'll post a picture tonight of the gap under the car and the gap between the front tires and body. as far as clearence under the chassis maybe 1/4". no body mounts on the fronts and they are sittng on the shock towers, i have a r9 f body on my xray fko5 and it's slammed to the ground like your photo you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.