Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cyclone Bender
After reading the last 25 pages of posts, I have seen several guys posting talk about 60+ degrees of timing, this is not good, so I wanted to post an exerpt from RC CAR ACTION...
"With each coil occupying 120 degrees of the circle, and its center being zero degrees of advance, there's only an opportunity to apply 60 degrees of either advance or retard timing. If the speed control tried to apply 61 degrees of advance, the actual outcome would be 59 degrees of retarded advance on the next bank of coils. So contrary to popular belief, you can indeed have "too much of a good thing," and there is a set physical limit to just how far a speed control and/or motor can go."
So, if you are programming a ton of advance into the speedo then adding more via the motor you may find yourself boosting down the straight only to cross into a ton of retarded timing and come to a screeching crawl.... So next time somebody tells you to push past 60 degrees total timing, think twice!
Just my 2 cents......
Agreed; but, try reading the 1100+ pages of posts...LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Novak v Tekin Motors

Originally Posted by claymonkey
Thank you macdude, I have had great experience with the Novak motors, but have switched to Tekin speed controllers and was curious to what people thought of the redlines, thanks dude.
I run the RS ESC and have just switched (needed the Tekin in my offroader) from the Tekin Redline to Novak Ballistic Motor in my onroad car. I did not notice much difference at all except a little bit more torque at the bottom end (maybe 5% more) with the Novak. But my times have been right about the same, so with the Tekin being half the price of the Novak, maybe thats worth a shot. I would run what you have until it gives up the ghost then try the other one down the track.

Ben
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Agreed; but, try reading the 1100+ pages of posts...LOL
Still Bill, LMAO! I would have, but I was trying to find info on the 208 update. I have seen a performance drop when I updated like so many others so that's why I only read the last 25 or so pages.... Guess I have 1075 more pages to read.....
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Still Bill, LMAO! I would have, but I was trying to find info on the 208 update. I have seen a performance drop when I updated like so many others so that's why I only read the last 25 or so pages.... Guess I have 1075 more pages to read.....
There is a lot of reasons why the quote from RC car action is completely wrong.

Sadly this just reconfirms the complete lack of understanding of the brushless technology and how it works.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, it's interesting as I understand enough to be dangerous, and reading that statement I can see holes all through it. By their reasoning, you could say that if you apply 30º advanced timing, it's actually 60º retarded timing!

Even more reason for me to go back to zero timing esc racing, as least I understand the concept of zero. I have plenty of that on my bank, on my race standings, and too many other things to list
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozenpod
There is a lot of reasons why the quote from RC car action is completely wrong.

Sadly this just reconfirms the complete lack of understanding of the brushless technology and how it works.
Ok then enlighten us. Not to be a bugger, but making statements like that really don't help the understanding part. If you have something to contribute then do so. There are only so many ways to make an AC motor spin. And while I will agree that total motor timing and dynamic motor timing are not the same it would be nice to have hear a better explanation.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by macdude
Ok then enlighten us. Not to be a bugger, but making statements like that really don't help the understanding part. If you have something to contribute then do so. There are only so many ways to make an AC motor spin. And while I will agree that total motor timing and dynamic motor timing are not the same it would be nice to have hear a better explanation.
Whilst I 100% agree with your comments and I could go into detail but perhaps this is a job best left to the manufactures particularly in a thread about there products.

Please note I am a big fan of Tekin and I am not in anyway saying anything negative about Tekin or there products, my grip is with the quote from RC car action.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Consider it like War & Peace. It is an epic read...LOL
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Hey all;
got something strange and need to ask if I have somehow damaged my rspro. I had it in an F-1 car with silver can. Had it set to brushed-forward and ran like a champ. I pulled it and reinstalled into the 12th 17.5 car. Reset if for brushless-forward. It's wried right. Programs right. All the lights do their thing, but no motor. No motor chirp or beep when doing the set up. and of course, no motor drive. Tried a different motor and different sensor wire.

Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Throttle exponential set at 90% with setup then bumped up to full....?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Hey all;
got something strange and need to ask if I have somehow damaged my rspro. I had it in an F-1 car with silver can. Had it set to brushed-forward and ran like a champ. I pulled it and reinstalled into the 12th 17.5 car. Reset if for brushless-forward. It's wried right. Programs right. All the lights do their thing, but no motor. No motor chirp or beep when doing the set up. and of course, no motor drive. Tried a different motor and different sensor wire.

Thoughts?
There's a chance you have a booster or RX pack problem. For example, if I switch on my RS but not my booster the lights will work but the RS will not actually do anything.

Hope this helps.

Trev
Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Hey all;

Thoughts?
I had the same problem and was worried as I used to be able to run 1s without a booster or receiver pack(admittedly slow steering) but the lights and sound come on on the Tekin and the motor worked. Then one day,cant remember if it was before or after 208 it just stopped doing this. I installed a receiver pack and it works again as normal. Since then I have started using a voltage booster and thats also good.
I think it maybe needs over 5 volts in order to sense the battery is connected maybe. Not sure,all i know is that when the receiver is powered above 5 volts regardless of main battery it works fine.

Try powering up your receiver it should sort it out. Also it made no difference what position the RS on/off switch was in.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Hey all;

Thoughts?
Call Tekin customer service and ask them.They built it and I bet they know how to fix it.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the tips guys. It is set for 1S. I haven't hooked the rx pack up to it yet, so it's just operating off of pack voltage. I'll finish up tonight and check it again.

I recall a semi-approved wiring diagram for the Losi 180mah rx pack to trick the speedo into using it's voltage regulator. Can someone repost that?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips guys. It is set for 1S. I haven't hooked the rx pack up to it yet, so it's just operating off of pack voltage. I'll finish up tonight and check it again.

I recall a semi-approved wiring diagram for the Losi 180mah rx pack to trick the speedo into using it's voltage regulator. Can someone repost that?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post7091098

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.