Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok, let's say I've now a nano-experience with the RS-pro.

Aphalt test:
usual condition for me:
LRP 4.5 X11 motor
Trakpower 4900
same gearing used with Sphere TC.

Car was fast, but the feeling was a kinda of "fading" power. Like with the old brushed motors.
Another thing I notice is that the drag brake setting affect the top speed.
I tested with 0 drag (of course no brake effect), with 4 it was "braking" too much, but less faster than before on the straight. 2 was the ticket.

Carpet test ( Warm-up race of the next Italian Champs):
LRP 10.5 X11 (standard arm inside)
Trakpower 4900
same gearing (mm/rev) as my team-mate (final of 4.78 say a 38.4mm/rev)
timing: 90
sensored mode.

Never able to overtake someone on the straight (quite a long one), ... funny point is that my team mate simply overtake me by 5 meter in the straight.
Say that on the straight I was "one in the bunch", while my team mate (same gearing-same motor- sphere tc) was damned faster than me.

Also almost no braking effect using the 10.5, but I believe this to be "normal".

At the end I grab the B main, claiming a 16 overall (yet not bad on 40 entrant in the 10.5 class)

Mainly what nerve me is the fading power I feel with the 4.5

Now I've the hotwire.

Some is having a setut for both motors?

Extra question: will be worth use a win capacitor combo, or a bigger unit?

Thanks

Last edited by Giorgio; 11-16-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah thats because the default timing on the RS is something like 10. For a 10.5 crank it straight up to around 90 or 85, but a fair few people are running 10.5s in sensored mode only and then cranking the timing on the motor instead.

I dont know if they have fixed it yet but the hotwire had the suggested timing for 4.5 and 5.5 back to front. But for mod on-road personally i think the suggest timing (which from recollection for 4.5 should be around 20) is too low.
With mod (on-road) you should also be running a second (or larger) capacitor. When i was running an R1 in mod i blew one of the standard capacitors with a 4.5.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So I just switched back from my M11 to my M8 in my Losi, and I had the manual out to recalibrate my RS to the M8.

While I was looking at the manual, I noticed a VERY brief mention of a "Self Test" mode, but I can't find anywhere in the manual that tells how to actually perform this self test mode... can anyone from Tekin shed some light?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Giorgio,

I have the same problem with fading power in mod and haven't found a solution yet. I thought it was a 5-cell issue but if you have the same issue with a lipo then that is worrying me. What timing did you set the speedo at with this motor?

For the 10.5 setup you cannot gear the same as your friend, especially with a sphere speedo, as the sphere adds timing depending on what profile is being used. Normally you'd use the profile 8 in 10.5 and that means the speedo is adding 20 degrees of timing to whatever the motor is set.

Let me ask you a question, what did you set the motor's timing on ? You should really really have it set to max in any spec class. Either way it shouldn't be long now before the release of the new software which will help your 10.5T issue.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey guys. need some help. im having problems with my rs in 17.5 1/12th. for some reason at the start of the race when i squeeze full throttle, i am getting a 2 sec delay before the car moves. it kinda studders and then takes off. i even had donny lia take a look and we cant figure it out. im in hybrid mode and we have programmed the radio numerous times. another racer is having the same issue. we both do not experience this in touring car. any ideas. both radios are futaba 3pk with fast system 2.4ghz. thanx
Craig,
Some did mention checking the sensor wire. I never thought to give that a good look. Try that if you did not already do it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help at the track last week with it, have just never had that problem or any problems really. Let me know dude.
Donny
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default tekin set up

i only run 10.5bl on carpet in the Uk.After extensive testing trial and error and regular communications with Tekin (Randy).
I was having same problem as you, just felt the motor would loose a bit of pop during races.I felt it was just missing full speed some times.
The problem was with my set up I run the Futaba tranny.problem was in the EPA set up.Now sorted with Randy help.

My set up for my tekin RS and RS-PRO
Drag brake 50
brake 50
Punch 3/4 3 is more linear better for tight tracks
fwd/brk
timing 90 but irrevelant if running sensored mode
Limiter 85 amps
sensored mode only

motor cranked up as far it will go.I have the Speed Passion 10.5R and timing is factory set at 30 i believe.

Car goes like a dream now.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Giorgio,

I have the same problem with fading power in mod and haven't found a solution yet. I thought it was a 5-cell issue but if you have the same issue with a lipo then that is worrying me. What timing did you set the speedo at with this motor?

For the 10.5 setup you cannot gear the same as your friend, especially with a sphere speedo, as the sphere adds timing depending on what profile is being used. Normally you'd use the profile 8 in 10.5 and that means the speedo is adding 20 degrees of timing to whatever the motor is set.

Let me ask you a question, what did you set the motor's timing on ? You should really really have it set to max in any spec class. Either way it shouldn't be long now before the release of the new software which will help your 10.5T issue.
Yeah i have had the same problems with running 10.5
found the Lrp Sphere to be worth 2 to 3 tenths a lap
over the tekin rs pro and i have used every setting
going on the tekin rs pro even with the hotwire it just does not have the
punch but just tryed it with a 6.5 and it was not bad
just needs a bit more for stock racing and that will
crack it. Also the brakes come in too late even with the
Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey guys. need some help. im having problems with my rs in 17.5 1/12th. for some reason at the start of the race when i squeeze full throttle, i am getting a 2 sec delay before the car moves. it kinda studders and then takes off. i even had donny lia take a look and we cant figure it out. im in hybrid mode and we have programmed the radio numerous times. another racer is having the same issue. we both do not experience this in touring car. any ideas. both radios are futaba 3pk with fast system 2.4ghz. thanx
I don't know if you solved your problem yet, but I would try sensored mode, not hybred, turn the ESC timing to 100%, motor timing to 12, and use a cap on the reciever.
-Wayne
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default Cap on Receiver ????

Where does it go and what value.????????
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

I run my Tekin at 100% timing with a speedpassion 9,5.
Than i have the same speed as a LRP sphere competicion TC.
Throtle on 4 and dragbracke 0.
Going to test it with dragbracke on 1 or 2.

THe tekin on 80% is on the strait as fast as a speedpassion and a LRP. i came only some power to short. On 100% i was 0,2 faster.
so i keep it on 100%.

For mod i use a biger cap.
and timing on 25%
drag bracke on 2 or 3. it's difrend eatch track.
Throtle on 3 and somtimes on 2.

Always on hybrid mode.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tellan
Where does it go and what value.????????
I don't have a value to tell you, maybe Randy can chime in to help out with this. It plugs into any open spot on the reciever. I don't use one, but I do recall randy talking about using a cap.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Trips
So I just switched back from my M11 to my M8 in my Losi, and I had the manual out to recalibrate my RS to the M8.

While I was looking at the manual, I noticed a VERY brief mention of a "Self Test" mode, but I can't find anywhere in the manual that tells how to actually perform this self test mode... can anyone from Tekin shed some light?

Thanks
Self test or Factory Reset is where you just press and hold both setup buttons until the unit chimes then let go. Should reset everything and test itself in just a second or two.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thank you, I didn't realize that self test and factory reset were the same thing.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Sorry, I know this isn't geared towards the RS, but it is Tekin related :P...

For racing pruposes, which of the 3 options for motors would you recommend with the Mini Rage E.S.C. I'm planning on putting it in a Vendetta TC and most likely (if track allows) small 2s LiPo powered. Thx
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Sorry, I know this isn't geared towards the RS, but it is Tekin related :P...

For racing pruposes, which of the 3 options for motors would you recommend with the Mini Rage E.S.C. I'm planning on putting it in a Vendetta TC and most likely (if track allows) small 2s LiPo powered. Thx
I run the mini rage in a 1/18 BRP with the slowest brushless motor and at times it's too fast!! If you want a bit more power I wouldn't go anymore then the 6.9kv.
-Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.