Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default setup

Anyone have setup for reedy sonic 17.5 boosted.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ByteStream
To sum things up ..

There is a market for speedo's that work with 1s without the need for external packs/boosters. LRP, SP/HW, Viper have realized this and released products and they have been selling pretty well. I venture that all new speedo's released by these companies will have have this tech as well.
LRP, SP and HW...Viper has not yet though they will be.

Personally I have had issues with LRP's BECs in the past so for me it isn't too far of a stretch to believe someone when they say there has been failures with the booster.

I really don't see the big deal about having it a module...for all intents and purposes it would be exactly the same as having it built in as it could be made to blend in with the form factor of the ESC. If it is easier and less expensive for Tekin to produce a 1s ESC by using a plug in module I say go for it.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Are these other "1s-no-booster-needed" speedos "podium" finishers yet?

Seriously,

Really,

In the hands of you and/or me?

Mod/open? I know the answer to Boosted, duh.

Stock/Blinky?

Come on guys, extra work? Why don't you let me drive yer cars n you can sit on yer a$$es n drink beer beer, cuz yer obviously not up to the task of fielding a competitive Race car.....rant over......

want something simpler? Race in your culdesac without transponders.

Last edited by Drillit; 11-18-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: not abrasive enough, haha Tekin Rox my world
Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit

Seriously,

Really,

In the hands of you and/or me?

Mod/open? I know the answer to Boosted, duh.

Stock/Blinky?

Come on guys, extra work? Why don't you let me drive yer cars n you can sit on yer a$$es n drink beer beer, cuz yer obviously not up to the task of fielding a competitive Race car.....rant over......

want something simpler? Race in your culdesac without transponders.
Pretty sure Kevin Hebert has won a few races with an LRP.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit
LOL ... Naoto Matsukura ... Nosram ~ LRP .. just a couple of IFMAR 1/12th World Championships
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

There are really no reasons why Tekin could not include a BEC for 1S. They have been sitting on the same peice of hardware for quite some time with no noticable changes. The market demands 1S applications and some companies will continue to elevate to meet the market demands or they will force people to conform to what they consider the best approach. If you take the size of the Tekin and add a reciever pack it is much bigger footprint to a speedo that includes a BEC on the market today. The Size conversation is moot.

Hardware fails from time to time, there is really no presedent that would provide any numbers that could support the argument that BEC failures lead to morehardware failures. Plenty of Tekins get sent in every day to get serviced, same with LRP, and Speedpassion. To say that the BEC causes the failure is outright conjecture, and is not supported by any actual data.

Receiver packs fail and can also run out of juice if not charged before a run. I have seen way more people lose a race because a receiver pack failed or just ran out of juice then I have seen people have BEC failures. Simply put this approach is a liability is you really consider the failure possabilities.

It is funny that a simple question turns into such an agressive thread with lots of people being defensive. The bottom line is either Tekin cannot figure out a way to include a powerful enough BEC to support 1S or they don't want to make any more investment in thier product line. Tekin obvisouly has the means to do it, but the people running the product must not be providing the kind of feedback that would make them reconsider thier upgrade path. If your consumers are not asking for change then why change? I would be running a tekin if they has a 1S solution that did not require a receiver pack. Until they do I will not purchase a Tekin.

If I was reading this thread I would say that most people running Tekin don't care if there was a BEC for 1S. My question is why? It would be nice to see a company continue to evolve. This is one area where Tekin cannot just rewrite or reengineer new software.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to not use a receiver pack but for now it fits nicely next to the RS and helps balance the car from side to side and stay just above the minimum weight. I like the freedom of where to place the pack to balance the chassis in both my 1/12 and WGT.

One of my racing companions installed a Hobbywing in his RC12R5 (older version than my Lipo converted 5.1) and he had a heck of a time finding a place where it would fit. Ultimately he had to install it next to the servo and hanging off the chassis, then he needed another 50g to add to the other side in order to balance his chassis (I think it may fit along the battery in the conversion but would be very close to if not on the links). So he doesn't have to use a RX pack or external booster but he is about 100g heavier than mine. (795g vs. 890g)

I could easily use a Hobbywing to balance the car since it is about 30g heavier than the RS plus LiFe pack and about the same size if not a few ticks wider. But since I have five RS ESCs and they all work fine I will stick with these until Tekin comes out with a new version that will be bigger and heavier.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Forgetting to charge your RX pack is not a fault of the ESC, it is poor pit/battery management. Same thing as putting in a discharged pack.

My cars use very little of the LiFe capacity per heat; 45-50mah for the WGT and 55-60mah for the 1/12. The pack is a 220mah so I guess if I tried to run the main after three qualifiers without charging once then I would have a problem. So I can miss a charge or two and still be OK. These are two year old Trinitys and once you replace the cheesy switch they work great.

What I'm wondering is that someone claims that they have seen more RX pack failures than booster failures. My question is "What the heck are they doing to kill those batteries?"
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 1s esc application is something we've looked at and continue to look at. In our experience as well as our race team the rx packs have proven to be solid day in and day out. Most we speak to prefer the higher voltage going to the servo and experience less radio issues while using a rx pack.

We can of course provide an esc with a booster. As others have mentioned our hardware has been solid going on 4 years now.

Nobody should be getting upset over a simple logical and intelligent conversation. We are listening to our customers. IF there is a demand it's our choice to fill it, or not.

Tekin is not known for sitting back in the chair and waiting for a reason. IF we see or feel there is need for a change then we begin working on it. We design our hardware to be long lasting and the results of that are a solid investment from our customers. They have the security knowing that they're purchase will last them for years to come.

We don't make computers or cell phones that are new every year. We make performance driven competition level electronics for rc cars. Our goal is to help reduce our customers lap times and provide them with a good solid product that they can have the utmost confidence in.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Randy,

Very diplomatic answer ... couple of questions though

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
The 1s esc application is something we've looked at and continue to look at.
Can you share some of the things you've looked into?

IF there is a demand it's our choice to fill it, or not.
Does Tekin see a demand at this time?

IF we see or feel there is need for a change then we begin working on it.
Does Tekin see a need for a change at this time?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

We don't make computers or cell phones that are new every year. We make performance driven competition level electronics for rc cars. Our goal is to help reduce our customers lap times and provide them with a good solid product that they can have the utmost confidence in.
And this is why most of the top drivers use Tekin in boosted and blinky classes.

However, if Tekin were to update the software of the RS, and include some sort of plug-in booster, there would be great gains in sales to club racers.

The main issue I hear over and over is, why can't you just run blinky out of the box without having to connect to a pc, download software, & program a blinky mode, and of course the idea that they have to purchase separately a boost/rec pack, and Hotwire to run 12th scale.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

one question could be: is 1s such a big market? 1/12th is not that popular, and maybe sales are too little for the investment in new technology
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

1/12th may not be as popular as TC but it is still somewhat popular...and it has one other thing going for it...it had endured longer than any other class. There will always be someone to run 1/12th scale.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

1/12 is a growing class in my area whereas TC died a couple years ago. Now we only use our old TC cars for difting.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't forget that most of oval has gone completely 1S!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.