Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ground-round
Is it too far out of the realm of probability to think that maybe, just maybe one of the diodes/fets/capacitors/internal connections/processor boards could be a little off kilter?
No, but I find it hard to believe it would run fine at the beginning of a race and then just decide to quit.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When else would they fail if not when being used.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the FET's are at fault. At the start of the run they are cold and when they heat up the resistance increases. Would be interesting to check the on resistance when cold and hot just to confirm..
Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the car was fading at a given point this could simply be the point to when the sensor port in the esc would fail to work. The fet's in the RS don't "wear" and they don't fade during a race.

If the fet's were bad, shorted, etc they would be bad/shorted right out of the gate.

Granted heat does increase resistance but there are far too many other factors involved here. The esc's today are complex inside. Micros, fet's and other components are working in harmony. If however you were to lose the sensors during a run on a Tekin, you will get much slower when this occurs. If this was "another" esc you would simply be dead on the track.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This isn't a complaint or anything as this is the first problem I have EVER had with a Tekin product and was easily fixed, I'm just curious what would cause it (feel free to get technical, that's what I want )

Been running an RS in boosted 1/12th for a couple of years now and has performed flawlessly through all the updates. A couple weeks ago I pulled it out of the 1/12th, stuck it in a borrowed RCGT car and switched it to blinky mode. All through the day I was WAY off the pace, despite having good gearing, set-up etc. advice from some fast guys. I just wrote it off as not having found the right set-up.

Then last weekend I put a boosted set-up on it for boosted 17.5 TC. It was SLOW. No boost, no turbo at all. I re-applied settings to make sure it took, replaced sensor wire, checked to make sure sensor LEDs were flashing, still no boost. Finally I did a factory reset, set it all up again and BAM, rocket power

So my questions are:

1. What would cause this? Does everyone have this problem when going from blinky to boosted?

2. Is there anything that could have been wrong with it in blinky mode to make it slow? Seems to me that no boost is no boost so it shouldn't matter but if it's possible a factory reset could get me the missing speed in blinky, that would sure be encouraging for possible future blinky racing.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
This isn't a complaint or anything as this is the first problem I have EVER had with a Tekin product and was easily fixed, I'm just curious what would cause it (feel free to get technical, that's what I want )

Been running an RS in boosted 1/12th for a couple of years now and has performed flawlessly through all the updates. A couple weeks ago I pulled it out of the 1/12th, stuck it in a borrowed RCGT car and switched it to blinky mode. All through the day I was WAY off the pace, despite having good gearing, set-up etc. advice from some fast guys. I just wrote it off as not having found the right set-up.

Then last weekend I put a boosted set-up on it for boosted 17.5 TC. It was SLOW. No boost, no turbo at all. I re-applied settings to make sure it took, replaced sensor wire, checked to make sure sensor LEDs were flashing, still no boost. Finally I did a factory reset, set it all up again and BAM, rocket power

So my questions are:

1. What would cause this? Does everyone have this problem when going from blinky to boosted?

2. Is there anything that could have been wrong with it in blinky mode to make it slow? Seems to me that no boost is no boost so it shouldn't matter but if it's possible a factory reset could get me the missing speed in blinky, that would sure be encouraging for possible future blinky racing.
Did you use a different memory slot on your radio for the different cars ?
Did you see full throttle lights blinking when you were having this issue ?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default New Motor

Hey all. I'm in the need of a new 17.5 motor to combine with my RS. Using Turbo/Boost, whatever speed I can get out of it..... Was thinking a Tekin, assuming they are matched to the ESC, but does it really matter? Is there a better 17.5 out there? Trinity?? Speed Passion??

Cheers
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Try the LRP X12 17.5 Stock Spec on the 4 dot insert (-10). RPM from 7500 to 22000, boost 40 and turbo 15. Set up the delay to suit your driving styles, and gear it a couple of teeth less than what you would normally use. PM me if you aren't too sure.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Did you use a different memory slot on your radio for the different cars ?
Did you see full throttle lights blinking when you were having this issue ?
Yes and yes. It wasn't a throttle issue.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Try the LRP X12 17.5 Stock Spec on the 4 dot insert (-10). RPM from 7500 to 22000, boost 40 and turbo 15. Set up the delay to suit your driving styles, and gear it a couple of teeth less than what you would normally use. PM me if you aren't too sure.
Hi jrxs-r
This is similar settings we use here in SA
Just a question .You say to gear down 2 pinions or so but here everybody seems to gear up 2 or 3 pinions . have you played with this do you think i am over geared
I used to run a duo 2 at 28mm rollout and i am running my X12 at close to 33mm rollout (outdoor foam)
Anybody got any comments on this
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer

So my questions are:

If you somehow managed to alter an adjustment or forget to check of a box this can occur. As many changes I've tested I've done this a time or two myself. Anytime the unit is acting "off" a factory reset and starting over is step 1.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Hey all. I'm in the need of a new 17.5 motor to combine with my RS. Using Turbo/Boost, whatever speed I can get out of it..... Was thinking a Tekin, assuming they are matched to the ESC, but does it really matter? Is there a better 17.5 out there? Trinity?? Speed Passion??

Cheers
Trinity Duo3.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Hi just a question re the rpm settings you mentioned,the X12 17.5 motor has 2200kv/rpm so on a fully charged 2s lipo the max rpm is 18480 rpm, does setting the esc higher help? (does the motor ever get that high?). Also the roll out being mentioned in other posts is around 33mmpr is this for 2s lipo? only asking as I am going to run an X12 17.5 in my WGT on 2s and would appreciate some set up advice.

Many thanks for any info.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

With boost, it will turn a LOT more rpm. Though I think a bit lower rpm ranges would give you more snap out of the corners. I would try 3k-17k.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

THe kV rating of the motor is based on zero timing. As you add timing, the rpm of the motor increases

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.