Wiki Posts
Search

TC$ / 5700 / MAx tire isues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC$ / 5700 / MAx tire isues.

Well, I did a search on tire mounting and came up empty handed; bad search skills.
I finished my TC$ (TC4) with Momba Max / 5700 / 3S 5000 MaxAmps battery combo. My issue is tire mounting. Anywhere I might have missed with adhesive, it flung that portion of the tire creating some balance issues. Well, you can almost true tires with this combo if one can keep them on the bead of the wheel.
I guess I need a lesson on the proper way and materials for mounting rubber tires , not foam's. Maybe I need to run foam's; I run primarily on the street. Either way, any good or proper way to mount tires?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Mounting rubber tires isn't very difficult, the big issue for people new to the task is that the tires come out of the factory with mold release on them so that they don't stick to the molds during manufacturing. They also tend to not sticvk to the rims unless you wash the mold release off before gluing them up. I use a scotchbrite pad and dish detergent and rinse thoroughly before mounting them up. Once I started doing this I've never had a tire unmount itself.

Another consideration is that you want to use a good tire glue. I like thin CA, my preference is Losi brand because the bottle doesn't leak or clog easily.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Initiate

What is the correct way o get the CA in the bead area? Usually the glue has set up on part of the tire and I can't get the tire down into the bead. Just how far do I need to move the bead of the tire out of the way to get the CA in enough? I keep trying to get the CA down into the bottom of the bead. Will the thin CA flow down in there from the outer edge of the tire? Is there a flavor that dries slower allowing me to position the tire?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

when youre gluing the tire, you should have a rubber band or electrical tape wrapped tightly around the tire so it stays in the bead(before you start gluing). pull up a small section and use THIN ca. the ca will flow around the bead so you only need to pull up a few spots around the rim. when you let go the rubber band/ tape will push the tire back down into the bead (only use electrical tape (vs other tape) because it strecthes somewaht and allows you to pull it tight)

hope that helps
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, I'll give it try and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

How fast is your tc4? I have a tc3 and may be getting that mamba setup in the future so any concerns or comments about your setup would be helpfull. I also need to know what gearring you have so I can try that out. I'm looking to go around 40 to 45 mph. PM me if you have a chance with an comments...

Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

youll want something slower than that haha hes running a 5700 on a 3s lipo(11.1v), with a speed gear id expect 60+ easily out of that..

a 5700 on a 2s lipo(7.4v) would be around 40-45 and with potential left in the future
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can also buy premounts.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by smarking1212
How fast is your tc4? I have a tc3 and may be getting that mamba setup in the future so any concerns or comments about your setup would be helpfull. I also need to know what gearring you have so I can try that out. I'm looking to go around 40 to 45 mph. PM me if you have a chance with an comments...

Thanks
I am a decent judge of speed, but something small like this it's hard to say; maybe 60. I am running the stock 72 with a 19 on the motor. I have tuned the ESC for full retard on the motor and you CAN NOT just stand on it. At about 20mph I start pouring on the throttle, not punching it, and the thing spins the tires for about 50 feet before it starts to hook up. I run it on my street and in 100 yards it is almost topped out, then I have to get on the breaks. The Momba is cool in that you can adjust the off throttle breaking. I have mine set at 20% now and am happy with that. I tried at 50%, but that almost stopped the car. I can imagine 70% being useful in Drag Racing, although you better have some tight steering alignment.
I have to say, I have been out of the RC thing for 20years, the versatility of the Momba's ESC combined with the brushles motor and LIPO pack can defiantly blow the doors off my old RC300/2.5 gas car.
I would run Foam's, but I don't want to spend that much money for tires, foamies would be toast before the battery. Besides, lack of traction means the drivetrain should hold up. But watch out, you will grenade the car if you hit something at full speed. I think this would make short order of belts on belt drive cars unless someone comes up with really good belts and pulleys.
I can't imagine running any bigger motor, I just can't find a big enough piece of asphalt. Maybe I should try the 210 freeway from the bridge.