Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo? >

Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Factory guys run NIMH cuz theyre sponsored by matchers and get them for free....or close to it.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

ok so your saying that of all the factory guys rick was the only one who ran for a battery company who offered lipos?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let's hope we get cars designed for Lipos, that the weight distribution has balanced L / R and we can reduce the minimum race weight of our cars to get better tire wear and longer run times. This is long overdue IMHO.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

To answer the question of the thread will we see Lipo designed cars? For now I would say no... North America is the only place where is Lipo is legalized for sanctioned racing and since almost all cars are designed overseas and overseas still only runs NIMH cells I doubt they would come out with a completely Lipo designed car. I can see that manufacturers designing cars for NIMH cells but adjust designs to accommodate Lipo, much like what most companies already do now, but at least for the next couple years I do not see any company coming out with a Lipo only car...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Let's hope we get cars designed for Lipos, that the weight distribution has balanced L / R and we can reduce the minimum race weight of our cars to get better tire wear and longer run times. This is long overdue IMHO.
I'd disagree that it is "long" overdue. LiPo's are just now being accepted in the US amongst racers, and safer hard packs are just being designed. We are in a transition phase..I'd expect prob. 2 years of this min. Balance your car to suit your needs and enjoy the other benifits of LiPo...like only needing 2 packs instead of 6 for racing and practice.

I really doubt that a few oz's difference will make much impact on tire wear or runtime....possibly slight.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Verndog
I'd disagree that it is "long" overdue. LiPo's are just now being accepted in the US amongst racers, and safer hard packs are just being designed. We are in a transition phase..I'd expect prob. 2 years of this min. Balance your car to suit your needs and enjoy the other benifits of LiPo...like only needing 2 packs instead of 6 for racing and practice.

I really doubt that a few oz's difference will make much impact on tire wear or runtime....possibly slight.

I have had my Orion hard case lipo's for almost two years, the rate of the acceptance has taken too long, for anyone who has wasted money and time on inferior IB, EP, etc sub-c cells over the years. Plus the extra equipment you must own, transport - waste of time and money, if they waste another two years on the change-over kiss even more racers goodby out of the hobby.

If you doubt the tire wear issue, talk to racers who run 4 instead of 6 cells, it does make a difference.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tsquare
I have had my Orion hard case lipo's for almost two years, the rate of the acceptance has taken too long, for anyone who has wasted money and time on inferior IB, EP, etc sub-c cells over the years. Plus the extra equipment you must own, transport - waste of time and money, if they waste another two years on the change-over kiss even more racers goodby out of the hobby.

If you doubt the tire wear issue, talk to racers who run 4 instead of 6 cells, it does make a difference.
Comparing 4 to 6 cell tire wear is not the same as as just loosing weight. You have alot more voltage applied to tire spin that needs to be considered. But...my point is, most racers have not been running Lipo 2 years because they haven't had near equal power that long (IMO). The packs coming out over the last year have improved to the point the NiMh guys are finally letting go...in some cases slowly.

What are you really loosing that would make you leave the hobby over?? Adding a couple oz's of weight is enough to make you leave...I dont get that. There will be chassis for lipo prob. before 2 years I bet...little by little I think they'll be offered as an option to begin....but rule changes will lag behind...and they have to ....otherwise they force too many people to HAVE to buy new chassis and electronics...how many people does that drive away??
Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow I just started running Lipo's for two weeks and could care less about cars being designed specifacilly for lipo. There are enough cars out there that will fit lipos with out mods. I added some weight for balance if you want to call that a mod but that was it.....
Nobody is leaving this hobby anytime soon especially with the convenience of Spectrum, brushless systems, and now lipo. IMO this is the best time to get started.....

My biggest expense now are tires and CVD joints... Thats what happens when you get more track time vs wrench time. lol
Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Wow I just started running Lipo's for two weeks and could care less about cars being designed specifacilly for lipo. There are enough cars out there that will fit lipos with out mods. I added some weight for balance if you want to call that a mod but that was it.....
Nobody is leaving this hobby anytime soon especially with the convenience of Spectrum, brushless systems, and now lipo. IMO this is the best time to get started.....

My biggest expense now are tires and CVD joints... Thats what happens when you get more track time vs wrench time. lol
What you experienced in the last two weeks using Lipo, myself and many others experienced 2 yrs ago, the convenience of the batteries are just amazing when compared to sub-c's. Now just think two years from now, they are still messing around with chassis's and races, etc that are being designed for sub-c's, you would think it is silly and possibly a waste of time and money. The arguement for a slow adoptment of the lipo battery technology has been safety and that everyone will have to re-buy equipment and batteries, etc, safety has been proven to be a non-issue and with sub-c's you are buying those packs through-out the race season anyway - that is if you want to be competitive, and as far as new chassis, I have seen more new chassis's come and go from Tamiya, Losi, Xray, Associated then I care to count. Most racers I know have to buy at least a new car each year if for no other reason that to replace the worn out chassis that have been running throughout the season. So the argument for replacement just doesn,t make much sense, especially after two years.

I am in full agreement, the hobby has never been better to participate in, with spektrum, brushless and lipos, but don't drag the conversion to lipo specific chassis's for another 2 years, this is not necessary. The great thing about lipos is the battery packs can be made into just about any shape a chassis designer could want. What is stopping Tamiya, from designing a car with a custom designed battery pack from Kokam, specifically shaped for its chassis design, helping to create the elusive perfect balance? The packs will last easily a year or two, by that time you will want a new chassis and new packs anyway - IMHO we have a technology that can take RC cars to the next level of handling, convenience, and possibly better wear and tear - just a thought.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

All that would need to be done is for the FK04 or Tamiya 414 to be reborn with the minor refinements. That chassis layout would be great for lipos or sub c.