Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAS ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED THIS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's a good thing we have all the experts to tell us what designs are copies...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
BMW is the same chassis as a ?? BMW
Ha! My E46M is like no other....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Now then we seem to have established that all manufacturers do this kind of thing. But what gets me is that companies claim that there product is the smallest,lightest,fastest,best etc. When their sibling company sells the same product painted and coloured differently.

Is that what you, me,The consumer want ?
I know that i would like what it says on the tin.
OR is it me that just expects to much ?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Actually, there are a number of differences between the WRX wagon and the Sabbaru. Comparing part numbers, there are hundreds of differences. However, to the untrained eye the two cars look quite similar. Sabb spec'd out a bunch of changes to the suspension, where there are almost no identical parts. For instance, NONE of the bushings are shared, although all are interchangeble.

(warning: Subaru enthusiasts are rabid )

Differences, yes. Different enough to call it anything bud rebadged, no way... The mechanical differences would boil down to changing the shock oil, getting some optional aluminum arms, adjusting the toe, and putting in a slightly faster servo in an RC car. And of course a bunch of other tiny little changes... The thing was still assembled in the Ota-Gunma plant right along side the WRX.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Platform engineering falls under what I posted above. Supply Chain Management.
The New Losi.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

there are several companies that have made a name for themselves by rebadging.

Look at Ofna This has been the basis for the company for many years. Hong Nor and HoBao both produce products for far more than just Ofna.
It all gets rebadged to someone elses name-Kyosho has rebadged some stuff from Hong Nor in the past.
This has been going on since the 80's.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Ha! My E46M is like no other....
yes thats a nice M3 but i rather have my "7 Series" anyday
Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyrrus
well actully all acuras are honda. they are just re badge for north american market.
i thought acuras were nissan? i saw an ad in the newspaper once... i know lexus are toyota, skoda, seat and audi are VW, and in the RC world there is an entry level 1/10 TC that is sold by a million different small companies from nitrorcx to ansmann to maverick and many other's you've nefver heard of...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe of loath
i thought acuras were nissan? i saw an ad in the newspaper once... i know lexus are toyota, skoda, seat and audi are VW, and in the RC world there is an entry level 1/10 TC that is sold by a million different small companies from nitrorcx to ansmann to maverick and many other's you've nefver heard of...
Acura=Honda
Infinity=Nissan
Lexus=Toyota
GM=Crap
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Actually, there are a number of differences between the WRX wagon and the Sabbaru. Comparing part numbers, there are hundreds of differences. However, to the untrained eye the two cars look quite similar. Sabb spec'd out a bunch of changes to the suspension, where there are almost no identical parts. For instance, NONE of the bushings are shared, although all are interchangeble.

(warning: Subaru enthusiasts are rabid )
The original 9-2X had a differnet interior to the Impreza but then Subaru used the SAAB interior in their next model year cars.

There was even a SAAB version on the B-9 Tribeca (or whatever it is called) called the 9-6X but it was scrapped when GM sold it's share in Fuji Heavy Industries. Of course the 9-7X is now just a GMC Envoy.

SAABs are complete crap though. I'd never buy one and would never recommend one to anyone.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
2nd gen eclipse, talon and laser

Laser never made it to 2nd gen. By 2nd gen I mean '95-'99, not '92-'94(fixed headlights) '90-'91 had pop up lights. Still same gen just a revised front end.

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
yes thats a nice M3 but i rather have my "7 Series" anyday
Come trade that thing in on a B7. Theres a black one in the lot right now. lol.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jimbo Morris

Come trade that thing in on a B7. Theres a black one in the lot right now. lol.
I may just do that!!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
A true engineer is willing to design from the ground up for uncompromised perfromance.
Interesting thread

.. but what about the opposite, what rc products have been developed from the ground up for uncompromised performance by TRUE engineers??
Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Team Tekin

There are a few. Terry, you and I could probably write pages about this and the negative long term effects for everyone in terms of choice and innovation.

If cost is all that matters to people then we are in luck because cheap is in. It is becoming a Walmart world and we will all get exactly what we asked for…. In different colors.

Who is John Gault?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Interesting thread

.. but what about the opposite, what rc products have been developed from the ground up for uncompromised performance by TRUE engineers??
A few possibilities:

The original Losi, with the 5 link rear suspension. Granted, perhaps not completely original, as 5 links did exist on full scale. And I'm not claiming total knowledge of every RC model, have seen some funky older designs.

The Tekin 411 regenerative speed controls, recognising battery limits back in the day. Honorable mention to electronic speedos in general, Novak I believe, but again not a completely new idea.

Ball diff. We just had a discussion at the track this weekend. I thought that this was invented by Lotus F1, not actually used however. Then introduced to RC by Schumacher. My friend claims Schui wasn't first, but doesn't know for sure who was, he thought Associated 12th scale, early 80s.

But in the broader sense, nothing really. As was quite hilariously pointed out on another thread, the 'new tech' we are all raving about is all pretty ancient. AC motors (brushless to us) have been around practically forever, variable speed ones almost as long. 2.4 GHz communications, well this cheapskate has already replaced my cordless home phones with 5.8 GHz, that's how old that stuff is. And lithium batteries are everywhere, cell phones, laptops, etc. Don't let ROAR know, they might be afraid to go outside. Sorry, cheap shot, couldn't help myself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.