Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
If i use Front & center one way wat will happen? >

If i use Front & center one way wat will happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If i use Front & center one way wat will happen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
huh?

A front on-way with a locked pulley is the same as a front one-way with a center one-way.

A front diff with a center one-way is like a front diff with no front brakes.

I'm sure there's a little more to it than that, but there's no way they "cancel each other out" when they do the same thing (freewheel when over-run). The only possible difference is the slight additional drag of either the belt or the shaft.
sarcasm...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

That gets another huh?

Zero difference under power on a straight. A center one-way is the same as a locked center under power. A front one-way is the same as any other diff under power on a straight...adding the two together is like adding zero and zero...you still get zero.
Think about it, the front oneway will free up any R/L rpm differences at the front end. However, one wheel up front is still constanly getting power from the center shaft. The center diff also frees up that force, if there is a difference between F/R RPM, resulting in a more free drive train, as far as your tires contact patch to the ground. It is a popular setup in TGP to get the most out of limited power.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A front one-way allows both wheels to freewheel off power but on power will act as a spool except in a turn where the outside wheel freewheels under power since it has to travel further than the inside wheel. The difference between that and a differential is that the one-way will still power the wheel with traction rather than the slipping wheel (think posi-traction).

A center one-way allows you to over/under drive the front end.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

When you have a front one-way only, off power the outdrives, CVDs, wheels, etc. spin freely. With both a front and a center one-way, off power the center pulley, front belt, front oneway, outdrives, etc. spin freely. I've found that adding the center oneway allows the whole system to work smoother off power and make the car feel less darty. On power there is no difference.

This is just what i've found from personal experiance, feel free to dispute, flame, call me names, etc. I'm not gonna get into a whole "thing" about this.

-James
Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

I think the information given on this thread is enough for people to understand the dual oneway concept. Just think, is the ground always perfectly smooth like a pane of glass? Is there any guarantee that all four tires will always be the same diameter during the race?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
You said at the start of the thread your car understeers off power, now you say on power... Which one is it ? Either way if you're already using a one way then putting a centre one way won't make any difference on or off power.
when i was using front one way its wide when i m coming out of a turn when powering. When i use dual one way it was wide in & out. Some people tell me its for on power driving some tell me other wise. What is what? I am confused

I inclined my front shocks now to get better steering.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperEk4
when i was using front one way its wide when i m coming out of a turn when powering. When i use dual one way it was wide in & out. Some people tell me its for on power driving some tell me other wise. What is what? I am confused

Okay..I'm not sure your problem....But I can tell you this...lay or inclined the shocks will help the front end to lean forward around the corner....but slow back up after exit corner...

Front oneway doesn't give you more or increase streering just more corner speed...center oneway to me just more free drag on belt drive...my 2cent
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Center one-way allows you to use a front spool or diff to suit the track with minimum braking.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Setup tips

There is a lot of very usefull information posted on the xray site forum about this topic and many others. Xrays top drivers and many others contribute to it. www.teamxray.com
Have a look it is an excellent site.

Terry
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SuperEk4

There shouldn't be a difference in handling with just the front one way and both one ways.

If your car understeers on power with a front one way, you must have a lot of front droop, try reducing your front droop.

Likewise if your car's not got enough steering off power, try increasing rear droop.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Lemme guess...you're one of those guys who can "feel" 12ga wire in stock?

I don't know of anyone who runs staggered tires in RC cars...so in that case, I'll have to defer to your specialized knowledge.

Originally Posted by redbones
Think about it, the front oneway will free up any R/L rpm differences at the front end. However, one wheel up front is still constanly getting power from the center shaft. The center diff also frees up that force, if there is a difference between F/R RPM, resulting in a more free drive train, as far as your tires contact patch to the ground. It is a popular setup in TGP to get the most out of limited power.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
There shouldn't be a difference in handling with just the front one way and both one ways.

If your car understeers on power with a front one way, you must have a lot of front droop, try reducing your front droop.

Likewise if your car's not got enough steering off power, try increasing rear droop.
tried adjusting the rear droop it worked. thxs!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Lemme guess...you're one of those guys who can "feel" 12ga wire in stock?

I don't know of anyone who runs staggered tires in RC cars...so in that case, I'll have to defer to your specialized knowledge.
hey man, every single small thing counts in a silver/black can race. And when the car is slowing down, the front tires technically do compress more than the rear.
Then you can also talk about minimizing the rear toe for more topend, and substitute it for the advantages of a one-way setup. Both will give you a twitchy car, but that's your preference.
I don't want to get into wire gauge, since I've seen threads turn into a nuclear meltdown but it does make a difference in 9T racing.
I think it's important for people to try out different setups. One car maybe drivable for you, but a complete monster for others. If it works, great, if not, oh well.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Uhhh...ok...sure...

I think it's a bit of magical thinking myself, but if you think it's working for you, you just keep doing it.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

LOL you can deny whatever you want. Everyone has the right to. But getting a higher top speed using a one-way on a low powered car, especially center one-way, is a fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.