Old 03-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

We have a local in NC thats sponsored by HPI
Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derricklong38
We have a local in NC thats sponsored by HPI
That must be new. I know the guy that has more HPI challenge trophies then anyone else they wouldnt sponsor.

Regardless, HPI seems to be doing both but I would suggest the HPI Challenge is getting a better return on the investment then the sponsored driver.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Legend

Barry Baker verses hundreds of retail hobby clerks across the USA ....

Which one really has the power to make the difference for your companys market share of the r/c community ?

Think about it ?

Sponsored racer`s really are a poor method of retail marketing & promotion....
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jiml
Manufacturers should not be sponsoring racers.

They should be sponsoring races.
Spot on

People who say they are sponsered are not really they just get freebies, I don't count this as being sponsered.

There are people who do beta testing and help on development but those are few and far between.

I think novak do a good PR job by hosting race meetings. I would like to see more manufactures sponsoring tracks and clubs.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

i would say the hobby as a whole is in great shape right now. just look at all the companies selling RTR's.

racing is kind of hurting right now, but based on the local scene, nitro and elec off-road are starting to pick back up again. elec sedan is just expensive lately, and the manufacturer's with their $400 to $500 kits aren't helping.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just make a Pro R/C show for cable TV. All the other shows were made for newbs and really didn't show any structured form of racing.

There are enough large events accross the U.S. to be showing a different race each week on TV. Even some of the larger events could be split like: Snowbirds Oval, Snowbirds Roar Course.

Show the world what this hobby has to offer at the Top and many people will start their jouney to see if they can be #1.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

How about trying to tie into the video gaming community somehow? Seems like a natural progression. Talk about your realistic looking High Definition displays! They have big contests and everything, aren't seemingly all the kids addicted like mine? And they are always looking for "cross marketing opportunities" or whatever the suits call it.

Hey, maybe stick radios would make a comeback (yeah, Masami and the Brits, I know, relax, just having some fun).
Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

VRC just needs to make a XBOX 360 game.... Look at how well FORNZA did, and people bought those cheap desktop steering wheel controlers just to play. It is about time my 3PK can do some good on an XBOX.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I used to think the video game crowd was the right market, but now I'm not so sure. Gaming is very much about instant gratification. R/C is a lot of great things, but instant definitely isn't one of them.

Men in their early 30's on are probably the target audience for R/C. It's great to get kids involved, but the mentality of today's youth, especially with all the distractions isn't really conducive to R/C racing. I think as people get a little older, they look for things with more depth.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
VRC just needs to make a XBOX 360 game.... Look at how well FORNZA did, and people bought those cheap desktop steering wheel controlers just to play. It is about time my 3PK can do some good on an XBOX.
The PC gaming market is huge, too, and their penetration there is pretty low. Maybe once they get v4 out, things will change. I'll definitely be all over it.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Just make a Pro R/C show for cable TV. All the other shows were made for newbs and really didn't show any structured form of racing.

There are enough large events accross the U.S. to be showing a different race each week on TV. Even some of the larger events could be split like: Snowbirds Oval, Snowbirds Roar Course.

Show the world what this hobby has to offer at the Top and many people will start their jouney to see if they can be #1.
There aren't enough racers to support that type of show. More than 90% of people with RC cars do not race.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry but manufacturers would be looking for a financial return on any investment they would make in any club or track, and clubs and tracks don't make money.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I used to think the video game crowd was the right market, but now I'm not so sure. Gaming is very much about instant gratification. R/C is a lot of great things, but instant definitely isn't one of them.

Men in their early 30's on are probably the target audience for R/C. It's great to get kids involved, but the mentality of today's youth, especially with all the distractions isn't really conducive to R/C racing. I think as people get a little older, they look for things with more depth.
Yes, probably videogames do more harm rather than contribute... think about teens and young adults, given the choice most would rather spend the money and get the latest playstation and a bunch of games rather than spend about the same on an r/c... most people under this age group really have to like the hobby before considering purchasing their first vehicle, and it sometimes is a difficult and long road in order for them to make the decision, as you said mostly because it involves a learning curve and there is no instant gratification...

However... all is not lost. I sometimes get tired of seeing all these r/c events, they're all the same and they've been like that for how many decades..., what we are lacking here is innovation... take offroad for example, why not make it better and more exciting to watch other than seeing the same vehicles running around the track. I see these real life racing events, like the Bajas, or the dakar rally, and you have a mix of vehicles... ever seen the "motorstorm" game for the playstation? same concept but all vehicles having races together, so why not bring this to r/c? (in fact, I'm trying to push this concept here locally, and will be racing several electrics together) Forget club regulations and innovate, maybe it will not be as PRO, but it will be more fun for the spectator (and for the drivers too!). It is possible to have a 1/10 "motorstorm" class with a mix of rallyes, buggies and stadium trucks... take dual circuits for example (ever seen two real life size rally vehicles racing against each other but on different parallel tracks?, they do this usually inside a stadium to show off the vehicles to the crowd), so why not innovate track construction too? why not have a section for dual circuits, or a detour for the rallys should they want to skip the big jumps...

just my thoughts.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiml
There aren't enough racers to support that type of show. More than 90% of people with RC cars do not race.
racers don't support the shows, it is the advertisments. Just like NASCAR, the racers don't pay the advertisers do. In addition, the show does not have to be on cable. RCTV does thier show off the internet before "podcasting" was even a term. RCCA has a YouTube channel to show off tech tips.

Maybe it is time that the ROAR starts promoting itself with a internet TV show. I would much rather have a production team present the races than having to do endless youtube searches for footage that is of poor quality.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Good point. I've got several transmitters, but I can't seem to find the "reset" button on any of 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.