Community
Wiki Posts
Search

making lower chassis

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Yeah, definately sounds like it will be worth the effort even if I were making 1 car, the outcome sounds like it will be much nicer than the way I made the chassis in the past.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by WC
If the point of it all is to make yourself a 3mm EvoIII chassis...

optionpart
53629 TB-Evolution III Hard Main Frame (3.0mm)

should be shipping 24/6 out of Japan...

yea i know about that...just wanna experiment
Old 07-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by WC
If the point of it all is to make yourself a 3mm EvoIII chassis...

optionpart
53629 TB-Evolution III Hard Main Frame (3.0mm)

should be shipping 24/6 out of Japan...

Cutting CF etc etc is not impossible (you MUST wear respiratory protection rated for "asbestos") but do remember CF is very tough on your tools. Also countersinking so many holes is a real pain.

By the time you've added up cost of worn tools, the raw material and the big mess, you'll soon think anything ~A$100 (=US$68) is not a bad price for a new CF chassis afterall.
Oh well.. respiratory protector i think is not hard to find in HK. As after the SARS, we still have some N95 face mask at home.. haha
But i have a problem getting 3mm CF at reasonable price.
I did saw 2.5mm CF selling in HK, the price is even higher than a finished chassis! Specially TAMIYA parts are very very cheap in HK
Old 07-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

where did you find the CF? in mong kok?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

haha wouldn't it be nice to hav SSG CF and make an evo3 special! that would be nice!

i still hav my N95 from the first week of sars...then our whole family decided it was too hard to breath with those so we switched to the 3 layer surgical masks
Old 07-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by davioh
where did you find the CF? in mong kok?
The GPM store has 2mm for sale, dunno about 2.5 or even 3mm
if you found that.. tell me.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:58 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mingfinity
Oh well.. respiratory protector i think is not hard to find in HK. As after the SARS, we still have some N95 face mask at home.. haha
Ya I know... I just didn't wanna point it out, could be sensitive topic for some ppl!

But i have a problem getting 3mm CF at reasonable price. I did saw 2.5mm CF selling in HK, the price is even higher than a finished chassis! Specially TAMIYA parts are very very cheap in HK
CF sheets is not something you'd easily find retail.

Depends on who you know, try out either aviation or motor racing workshops. The airplane guys often use flat sheets for their fabrication and might be able to sell you some offcuts cheaply. Sometimes in Oz we can find pieces about 30x50cm for about $50-60, enough for about 2-3 chassis depending on how fat your design is.

As for EvoIII... if you don't mind the shape of the current chassis... why not just bolt TWO of them on?? Haha, was thinking about that the other day, had 2 chassis plates on my table & just dreaming... 5mm thick! hahaha... except I'd probably want longer screws and gee, my rideheight would become about 2mm.

I haven't tried cutting anything recently, but when we did CF & FG yrs ago, it helps prevent splintering if you sandwich your material between 2 thin sheets of plywood. Clamp it all together then cut using a jigsaw (think it was the fineteeth 'for metals' blade).

Have not tried using a router like Steevo... would be good idea if your bits came free, but router bits are very expensive otherwise.

With jigsaw... plan on wearing out 1 blade per chassis, assuming it doesn't break prematurely. Also when drilling the holes even highspeed steel drill bits goes blunt quick. You need 2-3 bits to do all the holes nicely... so maybe invest in a drill bit sharpener. A drill press would be very important.

Given all that... haha, I don't have the patience anymore to make own chassis plates - better to buy. I do like making my own stuff though, but prefer to work with aluminium.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by WC
Have not tried using a router like Steevo... would be good idea if your bits came free, but router bits are very expensive otherwise.

I don't know anyone who works with CF so I can't compare but My High speed carbon steel router bit has lasted for ages and is only just starting to dull.

Also I have used the same set of drill bits for dozens and dozens of holes through carbon fibre and they continue to do the job perfectly.

Maybe its the fact that I bought the best I could get, but I have found my tools to last very well.

Steevo
Old 07-07-2003, 06:49 PM

any website or anything how to work with carbon fiber. im intrested myself!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:21 AM
wpc
Tech Rookie

Talk to steve from speedtechrc, he can get you woven graphite sheet at a very reasonable price.
I have been building custom chassis for a long time, I started from using dremel to CNC machine (It is still a hobby to me).
I always set up a vacuum cleaner right next to the cutting bit to suck most of the dust away while cutting.
Try discount-tools.com to get 1/8 carbit router bit for fiberglass.
Good luck for your project.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

finally made the chassis...took 6 hours and 2 broken bits
Attached Thumbnails making lower chassis-dscn0428.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

more
Attached Thumbnails making lower chassis-dscn0429.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

and more
Attached Thumbnails making lower chassis-dscn0427.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

finally the last
Attached Thumbnails making lower chassis-dscn0431.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

very good job i'd like to know exactly how you did it i might give it a try.
one thing get 1 flat and 1 round file and file the chassis battery slots on an angle so the batteries sit lower in the chassis then its great what is the weight like
did you make the slots a little wider to allow for 3300's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.