Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are TC5s crap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had Tc5 and Schumacher Mi3,with the first time outing for Tc5 at local race(Rubber),I TQ(By 9 sec)and won the race.I like the car handling,but lot of parts are made in China,so,the quality is not up to par compare to Tc3 i used to have.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

THe TC5 is a good car, the reason that I sell my TC5 is that parts here where i live(Norway) are so expensive before the last race I had to order some parts from the scandinavien distubuter and was expensice 45$ for a spool, 17$ for blades, AE has lost much on the european market after Thunder Tiger has take ower here, that's to bad

BTW there are a thing or 2 that AE could have done diffrent on the TC5, the armmounts on the bulkheads (done them like xray) and lowerd the topdeck
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

great car, only complian the motor CG position outer than other new car is one of it weaknesses.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by G2B Anthony
great car, only complian the motor CG position outer than other new car is one of it weaknesses.
But due to the motor not touching the bulkheads or topdeck, but only the motormount itself. The car will tweak less when going on throttle racing modified, most other cars have this problem, losing stability going out of a corner. TC5 keeps this stability, so they designed it this way for a reason.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It is really unfair to say so an so car did so and so at big race x. Most factory or heavily sponsored drivers could put a shoebox in the show with the support they get.
The TC-5 has a higher CG than X-ray, Corrally or Tamiya. The 3 or 4 I've seen and or helped work on had very poor finish quality. Out of the box set-ups were very close with x-ray and Corrally, not the TC-5. And it seemed the TC-5 was more prone to getting tweaked in some manner or the other.

I seriously doubt there are more TC-5 out there than X-ray or RDX, maybe more than Tamiya 415.
Bottom line is the TC-5 can be made to work...just plan on putting a lot more work into it than the complicated T/C already require.
Everyone I've kn own who had one and also tried one of the others...has switched back to the others.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There is no car that everybody loves.

That being said, the top deck argument is silly. You pick up way more in torsional stiffness than any CG advantage gained. The amount of weight that is moved up is minimal. Besides, an FK04 ("high" cg) will still destroy 95% of the cars out there.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe it is just me, but I have found the parts finish on the associated kits need a lot of fettling to make them fit right. I havnt regretted switching to Tamiya.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Associated's quality control has gone out the window. I have had TC3's and 4's in the past and while there was some hand fitting the cars were actually very good and durable. But lately I have just assembled a T4, and B4 for offroad and both kits had defective parts. One had a ball diff nut with messed up threads, and the other had visually defective front shocks (threads/finish) which I have no idea how anyone could throw thow them into a kit and expect them not to get cought. I've probably owned almost every AE product since the first rc10 in the 80's, and this has become a let down.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder why some Xray owners get so uptight when there is a discussion on the TC5?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
I wonder why some Xray owners get so uptight when there is a discussion on the TC5?
After reading the posts on this thread, I don't recall any X-Ray owners bashing the TC5. This post is about why so many TC5's are for sale. If you want to get into the touring cars, the TC5 may be more affordable and still very competetive. After owning my TC3 for years I changed cars to an X-Ray and I like my new car.

Originally Posted by robk
There is no car that everybody loves.
As mentioned in an earlier post, each car will handle different and each driver will drive different. You just have to match your driving style with the car that fits you.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
There are SOO many for sale and they are so new? whats the deal?
No they aren't crap.

I assume there are so many because they are fairly popular and relatively inexpensive. Also a lot of us belong to "the car of the month club". People tend to change their equipment a lot.

The car is pretty lipo friendly, easy to setup, and handles well. The parts are durable, easy to find and inexpensive.

I like a lot of cars out there but this one works for me.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

TC5's aren't crap but they are "the sh!t!"
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc guy
After reading the posts on this thread, I don't recall any X-Ray owners bashing the TC5. This post is about why so many TC5's are for sale. If you want to get into the touring cars, the TC5 may be more affordable and still very competetive. After owning my TC3 for years I changed cars to an X-Ray and I like my new car.
You are correct....that dude drives a Corally. I believe it was other threads. I read so many of these useless threads they run together.