Default Re: PRO4 REVEALED..

Originally posted by rc-zombies
From the 2003 Shizuaoka Hobby Show...

from what I can read on the Poster/Flyer it says Fall relase date

-Dave
Old 05-16-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Guys;

Aluminum is Heavier than Plastic and Bends in a Crash.

Sorry no P-4 for me, don't like Shaft Drive, even if it is an HPI.

PS: To whom ever up'd that GIGANTIC picture, takes so long to load the page at 56K (2 mins). Try 'Picture Resizer' next time, to reduce it to an acceptable size for eveyone.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: PRO4 REVEALED..

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
from what I can read on the Poster/Flyer it says Fall relase date

-Dave
HPI Europe Press release:

Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

There's a press release about the Pro 4 posted on the HPI Europe site - it's like a purple version of the TB Evo III Surikarn edition (and it's only illustrations... wonder if they drew it after the Tamiya came out...)
Old 05-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by sosidge
There's a press release about the Pro 4 posted on the HPI Europe site - it's like a purple version of the TB Evo III Surikarn edition (and it's only illustrations... wonder if they drew it after the Tamiya came out...)
Or maybe after the YOK SD came out...those battery straps look familiar...

Old 05-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Aluminum is Heavier than Plastic and Bends in a Crash.
That might be the case Pops` but with my Barrcuda`s they have the Alloy bulkheads...and I still have to add weight to the car just to make the minimum weight limit...

But I`m still loyal to HPI ...so you can count me in for one of the Pro 4`s

-Dave
Old 05-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Another 2nd in the A-main for my pro 3 today and I am closing in on 1st, held him off for the first 1/2 of the race but then I went too wide on a turn and he shot inside. Fought off 2 Yok SD's and many xxx-s's.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by newracer
Another 2nd in the A-main for my pro 3 today and I am closing in on 1st, held him off for the first 1/2 of the race but then I went too wide on a turn and he shot inside. Fought off 2 Yok SD's and many xxx-s's.
Congrats'
Old 05-19-2003, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Help a mate

Hey HPI Guys....

Wondering if someone could help with parts available and part no's required for stiffening the chassis of a Pro 3.
A mate of mine has one and has given me some part numbers for parts he wants, but they look like they are for a Pro-2,

eg.. 73814 -woven graphite main chassis
73044 Woven graphite Upper deck.

I have absolutely all clues about HPIs, the only thing I can find is A391- Pro3 Main Chassis Graphite.

Is there anything else needed ?

thanks in advance....

A Losi owner (get me outa here)
Old 05-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Take your pick:

73452 - Graphite Rear Bulkhead Set
73042 - Woven Graphite Front Shock Tower
73043 - Woven Graphite Rear Shock Tower
73457 - Graphite 3 deg Front Hubs
73458 - Graphite 4 deg Front Hubs
73457 - Graphite Battery Brace/Shock Tower
A381 - Graphite Main Chassis
73814 - Woven Graphite Main Chassis
73454 - Graphite Suspension Arm/Rear Hub Set
73044 - Woven Graphite Upper Deck
72400 - Aluminum Front Bulkhead
72418 - Aluminum Middle Shaft Mount
72293 - Heat Sink Motor Plate

This is about as stiff as you can get it using HPI parts
Old 05-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personaly, the first to get are.......

73814 - Woven Graphite Main Chassis
73454 - Graphite Suspension Arm/Rear Hub Set

On that you can build a reasonably competitive car.
After that a woven chasss plate would be the go.
Im a bit behing the times......just got my HPI full length upperdeck and HB front and rear shock towers! Very nice.......then i cut up the bulkhead covers. Looks very nice!

I dont see what people complain about, the pro3 is a realy fast car and handles very well (with options).

Hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Just a word on the graphite rear arms. We have had a lot of bad luck with the graphite rear A arms breaking. They will not take much abuse and a reasonably small impact will break them. We have gone through about 10 of them and on two occasions lost two the same day (I have four sitting on my desk now that I was going to send to HPI but haven't gotten around to it). Others in our club have had the same problem. They have all broken at the exact same place - where the main hinge pin goes through the arm. Even though we like the graphite arms much better we have had to revert back to the original arms for the rear. You can't win if you can't finish and the DNFs cost us the club championship in stock this year. These are the only parts on our car that have ever broken. The front arms have held up very well and we're still on the initial pair we installed in the car last year and they are still as tight as the day we installed them. I really wish HPI would make a graphite counterpart to the A338 (Front Bulkhead Set) parts tree.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You'd think someone would have made that part in graphite given the weight of the piece and its size. Too late now, with the pro4 us PRO3 racers arent going to see any more development...has been an interesting development to this point though! But i still wish that HPI would have released the little rings that go on the diff seperatly (the new serated type ones) so i wouldnt have to buy new diff hubs JUST to get that part! The first rings were not where near up to standard. But the new ones are good!

ahh well. We cant have everything!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

We've really had good luck with the PRO3. We were winning races out of the box. My biggest initial objection was the amount of flex in the suspension systems. It seemed that you could never put it on a setup board and get repeat readings. A few hours, a little patience and super glue solved these problems. The new graphite parts have put them to bed forever. I for one found the chassis flex issue rather amusing. While everyone was trying to make the PRO3 a block of steel, X-Ray introduced an ultra-flexible top deck as an option for the T1 and settled on a medium flex top deck as standard for the T1 EVO2. Their new Raycer is a composite setup and has been doing surprisingly well. In fact the factory riders have been experimenting with the Raycer composite tub chassis on their EVO2s and have found this setup superior in certain situations. I still think the PRO3's biggest flaw was the quality of their original suspension components.

We take two PRO3s to each race and depending on the track setup and conditions we will favor one or the other of the cars based on lap times in practice. The cars are exactly the same except one has the 73814 woven graphite chassis and the 73044 woven graphite upper deck and the other has the A381 composite graphite chassis, the 72430 aluminum rear brace set and a Hot Bodies top deck that has been modified to have the same design concept as the X-Ray medium flex top deck. I've seriously thought about modifying the 73044 top deck in a similar fashion to see what it'll do, but haven't gotten around to doing it. Usually one or the other of the cars will be consistantly better for the given track conditions. Truthfully I've had a lot of fun with the car.

I guess we were lucky but we've never had a problem of any type with the diff hubs (once you realized that those little tits were there for a reason, and that was to fit into the little holes on the diff shafts)
Old 05-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with most of what you're saying there calvin, it's the soft suspension arms that cause most of the problems with inconsistency, my car would change feel from race to race with the old arms, and the graphite parts solved that.

A little chassis flex does seem to help on bumpy or low grip surfaces, after all we're not actually inside the car and can't get that "seat of the pants" feel for what the suspension and steering is doing. Stock chassis was too much though, and caused belt problems as well.

You kind of lost me when you talked about "tits" at the end there though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.