Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
There has been an adjustment made to the lower arms. Just call AE customer support and they will send you a replacement set.
Do they ever answer the Phone (Phone: (949) 544-7500
)? It rang for 3 min w/o even getting an answering service/ machine.

My loweer arms are beyond tight at the ball.

E
Old 05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default shocks

Need Help!!
I just put together a 12R5 Tbar version. I put together my center shock and the thru shaft bottoms out on the shock thru cap. I pushed the thru shaft all the way up into the shock rod end as far as it would go. Is there any tricks or am I doing something wrong?, to get this shock adjusted right?
Thanks,
Wayne B
Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a long and short end on the shock shaft. It sounds like you might have the shock shaft in the wrong way. Try turning it around and see if that fixes your problem.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know if this has posted before, but what effect does changing the front mounting positions of the center shock has on the car?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by RoyU
I don't know if this has posted before, but what effect does changing the front mounting positions of the center shock has on the car?
You should try this your self to verify but raising the shock will remove some steering on entry and lowering it should give some more steering. It does this because the changing angle affects the shock leverage when it transfers weight to the front.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Sean i know you have run the t plate version of this car , have you run the spring or kit version. Just wondering what you liked better ?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

When are the spare parts going to make Tower?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
You should try this your self to verify but raising the shock will remove some steering on entry and lowering it should give some more steering. It does this because the changing angle affects the shock leverage when it transfers weight to the front.
I thought it was the other way around...typically you see cars running flat servos to raise front shock mounting location to get back some of the lost steering. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I in no way intend to bash this car or hack this thread. However, I have some concerns about this car. I have one sitting here just waiting to have the factory seal ripped opened. Problem is have been hearing that there are some significant issues with building this car. ( fit and finish problems ) I have not read this entire thread I am just going by what I have heard from some locals.

If someone on hear has good knowledge of this kit, its issues, and the cures, a list of these would be great!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I in no way intend to bash this car or hack this thread. However, I have some concerns about this car. I have one sitting here just waiting to have the factory seal ripped opened. Problem is have been hearing that there are some significant issues with building this car. ( fit and finish problems ) I have not read this entire thread I am just going by what I have heard from some locals.

If someone on hear has good knowledge of this kit, its issues, and the cures, a list of these would be great!
Here's my story.

There are 4 drivers at my track that drive speedmerchant Rev 5's in 12th. The Rev 5 is great and I don't realy expect to ever want to get rid of it. We have all run races on the current layout within 3 seconds of each other. Two of these drivers have made the A or B main at a large race and we all can run a clean race for 8 minutes.

Several new-ish drivers have seen the competition we have in 1th and bought 12th scales. Weve had a few guys buy CRC's and one guy bought the R5 because of the price poiint. For reference when these drivers run sedan they are in our rookie class.

The R5 driver was having some difficulty with his car the toehr day and I was at the track just hanging out so I decided to take his car and work on it a bit for him to see if we could improve it.

Now I didn't build the car, but knowing the skill level of the driver taht did, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one based on the fit and finish. The CF was better machined than the Rev 5 IMHO, and in working on it I didn't find anything inherant in the design or quality that I would worry about. The shocks were smooth, the pod moved smoothly, the rear pod alligned the axle perfectly.

It turned out the driver needed a diff rebuild and had left off a shim when doing some maintenance. When I took the car out after getting it working properly again, I was able to consistantly run 11.8's and the car was stable. This was with his tires and batteries and radio. We typicaly run 11.0 fl on race day with our Rev's but I feel confident that with a tire change and a couple other small tweaks, the R5 would be right there.

there were a couple things I found irquesome, however theyn weren't related to fit and finish . . .

Both metric and standard fasterners were used on the car
Not all that BL motor friendly
some componenets are in a dificult to reach positions (like the side shock)

Lemme know if you have any questions Q. See you in two weeks!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrrcguy

The only issue I have with my kit, is that the lower arm is too tight at the pivot ball. I've called Assoc. and new replacement ones are supposed be be on the way. Other than that the kit went together extremely well.
E
Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I thought it was the other way around...typically you see cars running flat servos to raise front shock mounting location to get back some of the lost steering. I could be wrong though.
Inspgadgt,

Are you aware that Sean works for Team Associated and helped design the car.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

is the carbon fiber pre sanded?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
is the carbon fiber pre sanded?
It might be but I would still give it a light sanding before sealing.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Usually the main reason to run the servo flat is becasuse you can move it further forward in the car. Then with the extra room behind the servo it allows you to move the rest of the electronics to better locations on the chassis, mainly toward the center of the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.