Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GTB Compatible Motors Listing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default GTB Compatible Motors Listing?

Last night I attempted to use a friends Speed Passion 10.5 B/L at the club. It worked ok in the first run but I did notice the car surge or pulse on throttle out of tight corners where I had lifted off throttle completely.
Come the second round the car didn't move when I put it down, so I gave the car a push to turn the motor over and it worked.
Well it worked for 5 laps then I lost all drive. The motor wouldn't turn over or rev cleanly only making a really bad grinding like sound?

I took the motor out, and my friend tryed it on his TC Sphere and it worked fine.
In the end I put a brushed 19t in and ran it in brushed mode on the GTB. So I know the speedo works. I all connected a 13.5ss and that worked also.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I also saw in the instructions at somewhere on the Novak site it shows a range of non-Novak Compatible motors? Where?

Regards
Richard.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

I've been using Speed Passion 9.5T since I first get my GTB and it works great till now. No problem or whatsoever for the pass 4-5 months. I just connect them as per instruction. I'm using the default profile with drag brake set to zero.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks KilleR for your reply but I still don't understand why I'm getting this issue. It also happend with an LRP 6.5 bonded motor a couple of weeks back.

Does anyone from Novak visit this site?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

i think this is the same probelm as running the LRP and nosram motors as they run on a different timing to the GTB
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

So it would seem that my gtb can't run LRP, Nosram and Speed Passion! Is there any apart from Novak I can use?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GM and Orion both worked fine with mine
HTH
Mark
Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've run both LRP and Orion with my GTB with no issues.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Myself and dozens at the local track have run SpeedPassion, Orion, Peak, Trinity, and LRP all on the GTB with zero issues. Sounds like you have a bad GTB, contact Novak customer service and get it repaired. Their service is top notch.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

we have guys at our track that run those motors with both the lrp and the gtb. i would place a bet that one of the sensers in the motor it bad or there is a bad wire going to the speedo, cuz then you speed controle wont know where the rotor is. i had that problem with my novak 10.5 and it was just a loose wire in the little white pluge
Old 02-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by part-time racer
Last night I attempted to use a friends Speed Passion 10.5 B/L at the club. It worked ok in the first run but I did notice the car surge or pulse on throttle out of tight corners where I had lifted off throttle completely.
Come the second round the car didn't move when I put it down, so I gave the car a push to turn the motor over and it worked.
Well it worked for 5 laps then I lost all drive. The motor wouldn't turn over or rev cleanly only making a really bad grinding like sound?

I took the motor out, and my friend tryed it on his TC Sphere and it worked fine.
In the end I put a brushed 19t in and ran it in brushed mode on the GTB. So I know the speedo works. I all connected a 13.5ss and that worked also.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I also saw in the instructions at somewhere on the Novak site it shows a range of non-Novak Compatible motors? Where?

Regards
Richard.
I think it's your GTB, Ive run non novak motors on a GTB and they have all run fine same with TC spec on novak motors. I had a GTB do the same thing and about a week later it let out smoke. I'd send it back to novak.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

So I spoke to the distrib today about my problem and it would seem that some gtb's can run aftermarket motor's and some can't? I was also advised to e-mail Novak for further help. Done this.

Lets hope I just need to change a program or something because if I can only use a Novak motor with this speedo, it will be the last Novak product I ever buy!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
The Evicerator

Part-Time,

You really shouldn't be having any trouble running any of the Speedpassion/Feigao motors.

We've tested with our ESC with Speedpassion, Trinity, Orion, LRP, GM... basically every sensored motor we can get our hands on and we haven't run into any issues where the GTB cannot run the motor.

I suspect from what you have described is that there is something wrong with your particular ESC such as a bad power phase or mosfet.

Simply because the ESC runs a brushed motor does not mean that everything is functioning properly in brushless mode.

I assume you should be getting an email back from Charlie sometime soon if you have mailed him... but from what I can tell it seems like your ESC needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted by part-time racer
So I spoke to the distrib today about my problem and it would seem that some gtb's can run aftermarket motor's and some can't? I was also advised to e-mail Novak for further help. Done this.

Lets hope I just need to change a program or something because if I can only use a Novak motor with this speedo, it will be the last Novak product I ever buy!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a shot in the dark, but...

Is it possible that there was/is a problem with the sensor cable -- either a damaged wire or something as simple as the plug not seating properly into the ESC's socket...? I would think that this is a possibility because one local racer had significant problems with his LRP Sphere and LRP 13.5 in his TC -- then he re-seated the sensor cable plug into his ESC and it worked flawlessly...