Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Monster pro, can be used out of the box ?? >

Monster pro, can be used out of the box ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monster pro, can be used out of the box ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Monster pro, can be used out of the box ??

Hey guys got a new monster pro stock motor it says in the instructions this dont require any breaking in, so im assuming i can use this motor straight away right ?? Any recommendations before running it perhaps Anywayz hope you guys can help.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

i do a few simple things-

cut the com
check the hood alignment
check to see if the arm is in the center of the cans magnetic field
and break the bushings in even more
Old 06-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Yah, you can use a Monster Pro out of the box. Might not be fastest possible, but still fast.

Last weekend I wanted to save my new brushes for a carpet race later this week, so I ran my Monster straight form the box. It was still one of the fastest cars and set the fastest lap in Expert Stock.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Default so you mean

So you mean to say i should cut the comm, and brake it in again with it orig brushes right ??
Old 06-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Thats interesting aurra...

You set the fastest lap in stock?As I remeber mark,you got lapped by tq and winner of the amain and he ran a 6 month old Monster from my motor box.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: so you mean

Originally posted by FUK_WRX
So you mean to say i should cut the comm, and brake it in again with it orig brushes right ??
Hi There Mate,

You can definately use the Monster Stock PRO version straight from the packet.
It has already been trued, Shimmed, had the bushes broken in and had the hoods aligned etc. This is what makes it the PRO Spec Version.

I use all my monster Stock Pro's straight from the Pack with excellent results.

Good Luck

Steevo
Old 06-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: so you mean

Originally posted by Steevo
Hi There Mate,

You can definately use the Monster Stock PRO version straight from the packet.
It has already been trued, Shimmed, had the bushes broken in and had the hoods aligned etc. This is what makes it the PRO Spec Version.

I use all my monster Stock Pro's straight from the Pack with excellent results.

Good Luck

Steevo
What about the monster stock? (not the pro version) is it also just as good out the box? Or what tuning can I do to it to make it compete with a pro?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: so you mean

Originally posted by johnny55
What about the monster stock? (not the pro version) is it also just as good out the box? Or what tuning can I do to it to make it compete with a pro?

Hi Johnny55,

I have not had the non Pro Version Monster but I know that it has not had any of the extra tuning done to it.

So having said that I would recommend Trueing the comm, Shim the armature properly, Check the brush hood alignment and break in the motor properly. Also check the springs. I am not sure which ones come on the Non Pro version but if they are the standard thick silver ones then I'd go for a slightly lighter combo like red/green or purple/green with the lighter spring on the negative side...

Steevo
Old 06-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Stevo thanks for your advise I have both motors and BTW the stock comes with black springs. Im just learning how to tune theise engines and the more I learn the fster I go thanks again.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Thats interesting aurra...

Originally posted by racenut123
You set the fastest lap in stock?As I remeber mark,you got lapped by tq and winner of the amain and he ran a 6 month old Monster from my motor box.
I think I set the fastest lap... maybe I missed one of James' laps. It was a 12.2. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point is that I used a Monster Pro straight from the box just fine. I just had bad qualifiers! If I had a clean run I could've TQ'ed. Oh well! In the main (sorry about the minor hack, John), I was closing up on James in the beginning, but one of the road rails got detached and flipped me over.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Talking change brush andnew cut

Thanks steve, how many runs you think i should do before changing brushes as well as cutting the comm ??

And as far as i remember the best brush to change it with is the reedy 767 right ??
Old 06-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Again,Interesting........

You may be right Marc,you may have had the fastest lap.But consitency will wrap up a win for you.Taking the Tq from James that day may have been difficult for many including yourself.He was driving well.As for the minor race incedent on the first lap,well, for that not to happen will require all of us to let things work themselves out.Noone can win on the first lap you know.I know you got by me but then I got by you again and didnt bother to look back and was worried more about EJ then anyone else.Its all in good fun bro.Remember to keep it in perspective.1 fast lap is just that.1 fast lap. You gonna race again in 2 weeks?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: change brush andnew cut

Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Thanks steve, how many runs you think i should do before changing brushes as well as cutting the comm ??

And as far as i remember the best brush to change it with is the reedy 767 right ??
Well that depends on your preference. Some guys will skim their comm after every couple of races. Some will do it after every second race day. Others will do it once a month..

If your gearing is right and the motor is cleaned properly and regularly then you will get more runs from the motor before having to consider cutting the comm.

As far as the brushes go, once again if your motor is geared properly and your brushes are aligned properly then I will let mine go to about 1/3 of the original length before considering replacing. Some guys will change at 1/2 the original length.
If you do let them go right down you may want to consider a spring change and go one higher to what is on the motor currently. The smaller the brushes get the weaker the spring tension gets as the coil is allowed to unwind more.. Once again use your Dyno and your benchmark figure for the motor to help you decide....

If your brushes are not burnt from the motor getting too hot then leave them go. A dyno can be a big help deciding when to do what. Check your numbers when the motor is new or you have it going the way you want it to go, and use that as a bench mark.

Thats what I do anyhow but I don't claim to be an expert.. It just works for me...

Also as you mentioned the 767's are a good choice at the first brush change

Steevo
Old 06-24-2003, 09:30 PM

just wondering but are all the dyno sheets on the motor diffrent?
mine are: what are yours?

rpm 20932 5.0v
power 68v 10.5k
Eff 47.4% 15.0k
Torque 103.5 Nmm
Pn: 2141
Old 06-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Calvin Ng
just wondering but are all the dyno sheets on the motor diffrent?
mine are: what are yours?

rpm 20932 5.0v
power 68v 10.5k
Eff 47.4% 15.0k
Torque 103.5 Nmm
Pn: 2141
Yes the specs will differ....

My RPM is 22,378
Torque 101.5Nmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.