Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Making the switch from stock to something quicker. >

Making the switch from stock to something quicker.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making the switch from stock to something quicker.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Default Making the switch from stock to something quicker.

Hopefully this will turn into a useful topic for others and not just a bash session...

Ive raced since I was 15 with a tamiya boomerang, continued off road for a few years then started on road in about 1999 and my first proper on road car was a HPI pro 2.

Stayed with on road ever since and this year I am currently 3rd in a winter series in stock, best 4 out of 6 rounds to count, just one to go now.

This was one of my better results so far in the championship, taking TQ and the overall win for the last round.

http://www.adurrc.dyndns.org/adur/wi...html/f2r4.html

I can race a fairly consistant lap and really want to go brushless this year, but knowing the stock brushless can be a bit quicker than brushed stock I was looking at going for a 13.5 and going from there.

I just dont know how much longer I should race stock, I like the racing but sometimes with how long I have raced stock I feel I shouldnt race that class any more.

I have had the odd good result in 19t, but usually I dont do so well in finding a good setup for the car or have the lap consistancy I do in stock.

Any thoughts? Like I say, lets try and make this a constructive post for anyone in the same position as me to learn from, like how different does car setup go when you want a quicker motor.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If I understand you correctly you have raced stock since 99? So about 8-9 years? I guess it depends. If at a club level you are dominating everyone or winning regularly and there is a faster class then you should definately move up. If you are going to national events and making the A main regularly then most would tell you to move up. Guess it depends on where you are comfortable and what those people racing with you think about you being in the same class as them.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I say give it t try. I like the power with out the added work of tuning 27's. And you don't have to over drive to the point of crashing. Just go as fast as you can with out exceeding your own comfort zone. Mod is a blast. And learning to tame the power is like the next level of racing and should be experienced by every one.
And the diff wear is a bit of a hype unless you are out side hammering the throttle. If you roll on the throttle coming out of turns you wont wear them out so fast. Carrying momentum in and out is the same as stock and just as benificial to your equipment.

Good luck if you try it. If nothing else it could be a second class to run for fun.

GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH! Its more FUN!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Sometimes it's best to practice running the faster class and still race in stock for a few weeks. That way, you can figure things out a little before you go up to the next class.

If you're not bored with running stock and everyone's having a good time racing there's no need to move up at all. If stock isn't very challenging and you're a lot faster than most of the others it's probably time to move on.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys, keep the input coming. I am a bit concerned about how much more the car will wear in 19t or mod, however ive used the checkpoint 19t motor with a little success and it needs very little setup and looking after which is good until I go b/l if I want to go faster before then.

Probably sounds crazy, but I can honestly say I only remember once where I have had a dead clean run. I am not staying (for example) within 11 seconds a lap, it can go over to 12 without any reason or say 14 if I get in traffic, to me that still says I should be converting those laps into an 11 too by getting past the back markers quicker, but its easier said than done sometimes.

If I was getting to within say .5 of a second between my best and average lap most of the time to me, that would say I need to go with a hotter motor.

or8ital- yes ive raced stock for 8-9 years now, over 95% of my racing has just been at club level, occasionally I have been to big meetings where they run faster motors but I wasnt on pace at all. I only usually club race as I have a family to think about.

People are happy to dig into me because I have 2 sponsors and hang out in stock... But the fact is in any kind of race the most consistent guy wins and being sponsored doesnt always give you any better equipment than the next guy along on the rostrum these days.

My cells are old and my chassis is a year old for example, I run tyres until the insert shows and I am not into rebrushing every run, I dont have money to burn.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

I was thinking along similar lines towards the end of last year, I had had enough of stock and wanted to go a bit faster.
When the BRCA approved Lipo and 10.5 I thought my prayers had been answered, I could go faster with little maintenance.
A lot of the Stock drivers at WLRC have now moved up to the new Pro Stock class, and frankly, youn couldn't pay me to run 27t anymore.
You get used to the extra speed and just have to remember that a setup 'on edge' in Stock would need to be made safer for Pro Stock.

Go faster, you know you want to!

Skiddins
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks, what would you say is a "safe setup"?

Although I have a ta05 with a brushed stock, I have a similar setup to a guy using a 13.5 in a S400 and it felt very stable, yet drivable in the infield which helped keep a defensive line. This is for an indoor carpet track with medium grip.

I am just wondering what changes I will have to make for the switch to brushless as a) it will be a heavier setup running b/l and b) I will be outdoors on a high/med tarmac track in a while
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
My cells are old and my chassis is a year old for example, I run tyres until the insert shows and I am not into rebrushing every run.
I like your style
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by joe of loath
I like your style
As its only stock club racing, I dont see the point in 1 or 2 run brushes, new super soft tyres, lightweight parts all over the car etc etc, it's total overkill. Besides, it is one less thing to say it is an advantage when you run new stuff and that makes it fairer for the others who might not have such deep pockets.

Stock racing should be all about having evenly matched cars and close,clean racing imho, not win by a lap or 2+ and have no fun doing it.