Wiki Posts
Search

Drilling Carbon Fiber Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Drilling Carbon Fiber Chassis

I would like to have some experienced chassis builders let me know on drilling holes and countersinking into a Carbon Fiber Chassis.

I have never quite been able to get a smooth hole or countersink. When drilling through on my drill press even with a block of wood under the chassis to drill through and into the hole is not smooth edges like at the factory where a chassis is made.

Basically the holes on the exit side may get a little splintered. Do they use like a grinding stone drill bit or faster speeds or certain feed rate?

On countersinks I find the end finish is not as nice as the factory did. I use the 90 degree for metric and a sharp mult-flute countersink. Is this a special grinding countersink tool?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

As long as I taped both sides and clamped it to the wood I always got a pretty clean hole. Make sure to let the bit do it's work and not to pressure it through.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Drill a small pilot hole all the way through first, then drill the final diameter part way through from each side to avoid splintering. From the small # holes I've drilled and countersunk, I'd have to say the stuff is damn hard on standard drill bits and countersinks. Industry used diamond and carbide to machine cf.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

The first thing is make sure your bit is sharp.. Then make sure the chassis is flat on a piece or wood.. The wood keeps the chassis from splintering bad.. You can clamp it to the wood for best results..Mka esure not to go to fast when applying pressure.. If you push hard you wont have a clean hole..

I use a countersink bit for countersinking.. you can pick them up for a few bucks at any hardware store.. Make sure to only go deep enough for the screw head.. I usually take a bit off then check to see fitment then take a bit more... Or is use my drill press, and set it so it stops at the right depth.. Practice on a scrap piece to set it..

I have also use a cone tip dremel bit.. But you have to be super carefull not to take to much off.. This way takes time to get perfect..
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

As for drilling holes in carbon, I usually drill until the I can see the bottom start to bulged out, then flip the carbon over and finished drilling. Usually when the drill goes the carbon, there is a chance that the bottom will splinter. As for countershunking I have had good luck with the flute countersunks.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

There are proper drill bits for drilling CF, can't remember what they are called now, been so long. Otherwise, block the carbon fibre, apply enough pressure to the drill to keep it steady and keep it cutting.

Drill through the top, turn it over the countersink. If you not too handy with a hand drill, use a drill press to keep it square.

Dagger drills, thats what they are called http://www.gandtrack.co.uk/html/carbon_composites.html designed not to splintered unblocked carbon sheet.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you want to use high helix carbide circuit board drills.you will get about 2500-5000 holes before you need to regrind depending on if your speeds and feeds are correct.being you are using it on a drillpress which are pretty low RPM,you should be able to get 200-300 holes with no splintering before a regrind.you can get them from McMaster Carr for about 10 bucks a piece.for countersinking an 82 degree or a 90 degree carbide countersink is what you need.standard screws use 82 degree and metric screws are 90 degrees.i will look up the part numbers on monday at the shop so you can order them.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Has anyone used a Laser engraver to cut holes into CF? Just asking...
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

not a good idea.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by protc3
you want to use high helix carbide circuit board drills.you will get about 2500-5000 holes before you need to regrind depending on if your speeds and feeds are correct.being you are using it on a drillpress which are pretty low RPM,you should be able to get 200-300 holes with no splintering before a regrind.you can get them from McMaster Carr for about 10 bucks a piece.for countersinking an 82 degree or a 90 degree carbide countersink is what you need.standard screws use 82 degree and metric screws are 90 degrees.i will look up the part numbers on monday at the shop so you can order them.
I tried to order from "McMaster Carr" two times one time through JetCarrier and once directly. This is the e mail i got:

"Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours
overseas. We cannot accept your order, and regret any inconvenience this causes you. "

The second mail follows:

"Thank you for purchase order xxxx. In the past you advised us that some or all of the material you purchase from us is exported from the
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" />United States. The United States government regulates the
documentation required for material shipped outside the US and also controls what material companies are allowed to export. This is a serious
responsibility for any exporter, and we have chosen to avoid the risks involved in these transactions. We will be unable to accept your order or
to continue doing business with you. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.
"
Jason, do you know of any other company that has a good Countersinker

Solid-Carbide Three-Flute Countersink 3/8" Body Dia, 1/4" Shank Dia, 82
Degree Angle

Phone call:
I was told that if somone will try to order it for me in the US
and "McMaster Carr" finds out it is to be send out of the US, then
they will cancel you order.

Thanks

Alf
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have great luck with the few holes I have drilled and countersunk using

Pilot Drill then
Morse 82 degree size 0 counter sink.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trailranger
I have great luck with the few holes I have drilled and countersunk using

Pilot Drill then
Morse 82 degree size 0 counter sink.
Thanks

Do you have any part # "Morse 82 degree"

Alf :-)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

dont forget to wear a breathing mask when working/(drilling) with carbon fiber
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good point! WEAR A MASK! CF will mess your lungs up!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Kose makes a tool for that:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.