Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by filbert
This car started life out as a losi jrxs. I got it as a basket case and I modified it into a direct drive fwd touring car. I am running it in the silver can class our club has. It has some bugs to work out but it works.

What did you use for bulkheads and motor mount?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
What did you use for bulkheads and motor mount?
I made my own out of 6061 aluminum. This weekend will be its first race. I will post some pics later of the bulkheads with the motor out.
Attached Thumbnails FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF-026.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Now that's what I call innovation. Well done to you sir. If I had easy access to a CNC machine I would make my own cars and do away with all the 500$+ industry. Not really, but perhaps I would sell my own 500$+ car, hehehehe!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Now that's what I call innovation. Well done to you sir. If I had easy access to a CNC machine I would make my own cars and do away with all the 500$+ industry. Not really, but perhaps I would sell my own 500$+ car, hehehehe!
You know anything custom, if you add your labor, time, and material cost, it would be well over $500! But I guess you can't replace the coolness factor and the sense of accomplishment from a custom jobby!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
You know anything custom, if you add your labor, time, and material cost, it would be well over $500! But I guess you can't replace the coolness factor and the sense of accomplishment from a custom jobby!
Thanks for the comments. You are right I spent more time than it is worth but the coolness factor is great. I'll admit having a very well equipped shop makes these projects possible. The first test run the car handled surprizingly well. I am still relatively new to the hobby but I am having alot of fun!! I named the car the WASALOSI.
Attached Thumbnails FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF-028.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ive driven phils WASALOSI, initally i was shocked,,,
as i had driven the original turd of a jrxs and was totally impressed as it drove smoother than the original jrxs and held a line very easily

it was ripping mid 16sec laptimes on the weekend (48x90' carpet track)(regina wcics)while my gt 416we with ceramic bearings and all the fixings was less than a second faster

ive drivien a tamy ff02 and a yokomo fwd's before and all i can say is that phils custom car kicks @$$
Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the comments. You are right I spent more time than it is worth but the coolness factor is great. I'll admit having a very well equipped shop makes these projects possible. The first test run the car handled surprizingly well. I am still relatively new to the hobby but I am having alot of fun!! I named the car the WASALOSI.

I am perfectly aware of the costs for custom jobs. There are instances however when I feel I can come up with a better design than the factory. I am sure some of the factory designs right now are a little bit compromised to keep cost down albeit this is not so much a problem as it was in the old days when CNC machining was simply out of the question even for big companies. Almost everybody today at the top end of racing chassis market has gone CNC. This is probably why these cars are today in the 500$ bracket. The trick I think for the home CNC machinist is to cut the blingy crap which I am not at all fond of. The "fresh off the machine" home-made look is a lot more appealing to me.

If you're interested in doing some original custom order work I am game and can supply technical drawings.

On another note, i have just received my second YR F2 today and it looks like it needs a new motor mount so this would be a first candidate.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

I made my own out of 6061 aluminum. This weekend will be its first race. I will post some pics later of the bulkheads with the motor out.
I think this is a very nice layout for a fwd. What gear ratios can you get with this.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by moonman
I think this is a very nice layout for a fwd. What gear ratios can you get with this.
I am running 48pitch gears 87t spur and a 21t pinion giving a fdr of 4.143. I am running Jaco blue touring car rubber. This last race I was running the car was just as quick as the rest and the motor temps were normal. I put the fan in and had a hole in the body for air circulation as a precaution. The motor is hid pretty well by the bumper and might not get as much air circulation as it should. I am limited by the motor can hitting the left bulkhead.The smallest pinion I could run is an 18t.(4.833fdr). Gearing taller than this would definitley be possible for a brushless application.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I miss my FF01 tamiya I had a brushless on i before feigao 9t with quark controller,full bearings, threaded shock bodies,custom top-secret rsx replica body) loads of fun:

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroLuver
I miss my FF01 tamiya I had a brushless on i before feigao 9t with quark controller,full bearings, threaded shock bodies,custom top-secret rsx replica body) loads of fun:

What's the offset on those wheels?

looks like 3mm

Looks Great!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was bored and drew up this front lower arm for the FF01. The stock plastic ones are soo flimsy.

right now its 6mm thick from original 7mm thickness. I guess I will see if i can make it thinner.
Attached Thumbnails FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF-ff01frontarm.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tpsolid
I was bored and drew up this front lower arm for the FF01. The stock plastic ones are soo flimsy.

right now its 6mm thick from original 7mm thickness. I guess I will see if i can make it thinner.

They are not flimsy, they're just very soft. This is to protect the gearbox hinge which is going to take all the shock if you hit something and your suspension arm doesn't give. These cars are designed to be built with the original parts. As soon as you upgrade something, you just shift the weak spot around and they're not going to hold up well. Having soft plastics all around is a much better strategy, even if that makes for a sloppy car. Slop is part of Tamiya's strategy and you can learn to live with it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

they would match my rear end nicely
Attached Thumbnails FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF-ff01rear5.jpg   FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF-ff01rear6.jpg  
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Eagerly awaiting a wasalosi update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.