Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'd probably go for the Xpress XQ2S with the FWD conversion instead.
Interesting comparison. Both cars also have 4wd mid mount conversions too.

Converted entry level cars can be great value. Given the cost of the top end kits, especially the Mi8, I'm surprised they do not market the conversions better as an entry level package.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Decided to let go of my MTS FFV3 last weekend. The front motor mounted cars just weren't my cup of tea. I checked out the mid motor mounted cars and gosh they are pricey.

Took out my old and trusted BD7 and started dremelling away. Would have liked to mount the motor a bit farther up front but this was the best i could get it.

Was happy with the build and i just tested it today on the track. Very excited to say it was competitive against all the other FF cars on the track. Am definitely enjoying this much more than the ffv3 at this time...

DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I honestly wish they would bring Fwd touring classes to the us and make them a standard instead of making them run in usgt. One of these days......
Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

All the mid-motor converted to FWD cars just ruined the spirit of the FF essence. It just doesn't have the purity of real FWD. The converted cars may have better performance. But the actual layout, design and how the FF cars were engineered are the factors that make them unique.
bertrandsv87 and gigaplex like this.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

But the mid motor cars have to add a bunch of weight to the front Axle.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
But the mid motor cars have to add a bunch of weight to the front Axle.
Which is ironic because it defeats the purpose of having a mid motor. Why don't the manufacturers just come up with a front-mid motor layout (motor behind the front gearbox) instead? This way it avoids or lessens adding a bunch of counter weights just to balance CG. Putting the motor in the proper position should solve that problem.

Has anyone seen the FF-03 custom build of wtcc/Kevin Kraft? That to me is a proper modern FF/FWD car. Properly engineered and well thought laid out design.

wtcc's FF project

dlruk and mr.rev like this.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Namba328
I honestly wish they would bring Fwd touring classes to the us and make them a standard instead of making them run in usgt. One of these days......
We do not have the USGT class here but we run FWD with blinkly 17.5t rules and it is honestly great fun. My touring has been relegated to mostly race days simply because of running cost. Boosted touring is faster but every crash gives you a heart attack and a new set of tyres barely last a weekend.

Tyres for FWD lasts significantly longer and the cars survive crashes much better than their touring counterparts...
Old 05-18-2022, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
All the mid-motor converted to FWD cars just ruined the spirit of the FF essence. It just doesn't have the purity of real FWD. The converted cars may have better performance. But the actual layout, design and how the FF cars were engineered are the factors that make them unique.
I do not know if this is true as the general consensus here is the converted cars have less performance... Coming from both, I can't say there is any marked difference but the added weight to the bumper basically cancels out the weight advantage that the FWD cars have in the first place.

Personally I am a guy sold on all the low CG marketing so I just couldn't get into the mindset of driving a car with the motors mounted at the front. But I no longer race to win... I race for fun now due to budget and time constraints and running a mid motor car just makes me feel better even if performance suffers a bit.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
Which is ironic because it defeats the purpose of having a mid motor. Why don't the manufacturers just come up with a front-mid motor layout (motor behind the front gearbox) instead? This way it avoids or lessens adding a bunch of counter weights just to balance CG. Putting the motor in the proper position should solve that problem.

Has anyone seen the FF-03 custom build of wtcc/Kevin Kraft? That to me is a proper modern FF/FWD car. Properly engineered and well thought laid out design.

wtcc's FF project
You mean like the MTS FFV3 Mid? I think you are on to something here

Good compromise between both designs. Unfortunately I just sold all my FFV3 parts before these teaser images were released.
Nicadrauspro4 and gwhiz like this.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tak4
I do not know if this is true as the general consensus here is the converted cars have less performance... Coming from both, I can't say there is any marked difference but the added weight to the bumper basically cancels out the weight advantage that the FWD cars have in the first place.
I personally have no driving experience yet on converted FWD cars but from what I've mostly read, they prefer those over FF cars (or probably they have not tried the fun of actual FF cars yet). I currently have 3 FF cars and love how they drive for their respective set ups.. A little understeer (which is normal for FWD cars) but that's where the driving style will come in. Also diff set up is very important as well as proper damper tuning.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tak4
You mean like the MTS FFV3 Mid? I think you are on to something here

Good compromise between both designs. Unfortunately I just sold all my FFV3 parts before these teaser images were released.
Wow that's nice! Yeah something like that but I still prefer wtcc's design with actual "gearbox" rather than belt for a 2wd/fwd car. Zero lag.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

I've been wanting to get a modern FF car but I have yet to see and wait. I'll skip the mid-converted cars as they have no appeal to me as proper FWD cars. For the meantime, I'm still enjoying my current FF-03s. Still runs great and fun to drive.
bertrandsv87 likes this.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I’m perplexed at the level of zealotry being expressed for chassis that have the motor in front of the front axle….. Last time I checked, FWD stood for “Front Wheel Drive”. The definition never implied or specified that the motor MUST be in a specific location.
I really don’t see the place for such puritanical opinions on what constitutes a FWD touring car.
if you prefer one over the other, great. I personally love driving everything to the best of my ability, regardless of where the motor sits , or which wheels are driven. Maybe another forum would suit those that feel the need to direct their negativity at concepts that don’t suit their standards.
sosidge and Rick Vessell like this.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Live with it. In racing, performance is what sells (and what counts to 99% of the people out there). Remember the angry outcry when the ETS organizers wanted to ban the Awesomatix FWD because it was "against the spirit of the class"? They had to take that back almost immediately, and then, among others Mr Juray Hudy quietly murmured "challenge accepted". Now FWDs are no longer quaint, uniquely different chassis, they are slightly modified high performance touring cars - with the price tag to match.
OSherman and simple like this.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone seen/tried the new TeamPowers GT Tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.