Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stormer's new electric car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does the saying go "Only in Montana" or is it "Only Bob Stormer?" I see a fleet of Stormer Hobbies electric cars underwrote by Castel Creations and SMC.

But Bob I have to ask...what do you charge that thing at?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So where exactly do you find a Lipo sack that large? Don't wanna burn down the house. lol :-)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There we go...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
There we go...

So, can you run that with the Mini"s?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That little things seems really cool. It says 12,000c, how much would that be american?

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kwik, nice job on the graphics.

This thread turned out good, We're all having a bit of fun with it, and that's what I was hoping for.

Actually, the car is AC now, was DC. The motor upgrade took it from 7 horsepower to 18 horsepower, with 81 foot pounds of torque! Got a Curtis 550 controller in it. 0-20 in 3.5 seconds. I think we can get it quicker. The original DC controller was a Curtis 300 (I think). This stuff is kind of new to me, but fun to talk about and think about. It's basically a big electric RC car that you can drive around in, to over simplify it.

Mostly I think the thing is overgeared, and the controller is the limiting factor. So, the plan is for me to learn a bit more about this technology, and find the correct motor. Something that would say max out at 35mph (ideal around town speed) rather than something that is overgeared, bogging around town under excessive load and limited by the computers to 35mph. Should put the range back up to 40-50miles.

I'm not married to the tire spinning horsepower it has now, but it is FUN!!!

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-29-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Bob, we just finished mounting the double pinks for all four wheels and I just got word that you want lilacs instead ?????? Please make up your mind. By the way, what size do you want them trued to again?

Danny said if you send us the batteries we will zap them. Of course, once we get a hold of them we will ruin the electric car industry for everyone....
Jack, I think Pink fronts, and something harder for the back. Car is front wheel drive. I want to see that tire truer! If we let Danny loose with the batteries, I'd be smoking Corvette's and such, I don't think the chassis is ready for that kind of power.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

i'm looking at getting an electric car for my first car. no spending £70 to fill up (it goes on my parents electricity bill ) and free road tax, cheap insurance (who wants to steal an electric car?).

i just need to convert it first.

i'm thinking of this industry for my career. 20 years time, oil is $200 plus a barrel, and suddenly everyone wants a car thats cheap to run. enter me and a line of reasonably priced electric saloons. i'll blow them away
Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
Does the saying go "Only in Montana" or is it "Only Bob Stormer?" I see a fleet of Stormer Hobbies electric cars underwrote by Castel Creations and SMC.

But Bob I have to ask...what do you charge that thing at?
That's a good question. I don't know what it's doing. Some kind of battery charger called a Delta Q, or something along those lines.

Takes 4 hours to an 80% charge, and supposedly 8 hours or overnight for a full charge. Whatever it is, it's doing it on a standard 110volt outlet. And figure most outlets are on a 20 amp breaker. Pack, I think, is 72 volts.

I was range testing it 2 nights ago. About 1/2 mile from the shop, we have a 4% grade hill in a 35mph zone that goes on for about 4/10 of a mile. I ran it right up to the edge of "dumped" and only made it half way up the hill... So I quick swung around and went down the hill and had dinner at a Pizza place, plugged into the furniture store next door, and after 45 minutes had enough juice to pull the hill.

Right now, it looks like when you hit 20 miles with the big motor in it, you better be close to home. I want to get the mileage back up to 40-45 like stock.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joe of loath
i'm looking at getting an electric car for my first car. no spending £70 to fill up (it goes on my parents electricity bill ) and free road tax, cheap insurance (who wants to steal an electric car?).

i just need to convert it first.

i'm thinking of this industry for my career. 20 years time, oil is $200 plus a barrel, and suddenly everyone wants a car thats cheap to run. enter me and a line of reasonably priced electric saloons. i'll blow them away
How close are you to London? Perhaps pick up a Gee-whiz, with electric, you don't have to pay the $8 congestion fee at the city center, at least that's what I saw on "Top Gear". They hate the Gee-whiz, I think it's awesome. It's even smaller than the Zenn.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
That's a good question. I don't know what it's doing. Some kind of battery charger called a Delta Q, or something along those lines.

Takes 4 hours to an 80% charge, and supposedly 8 hours or overnight for a full charge. Whatever it is, it's doing it on a standard 110volt outlet. And figure most outlets are on a 20 amp breaker. Pack, I think, is 72 volts.

I was range testing it 2 nights ago. About 1/2 mile from the shop, we have a 4% grade hill in a 35mph zone that goes on for about 4/10 of a mile. I ran it right up to the edge of "dumped" and only made it half way up the hill... So I quick swung around and went down the hill and had dinner at a Pizza place, plugged into the furniture store next door, and after 45 minutes had enough juice to pull the hill.

Right now, it looks like when you hit 20 miles with the big motor in it, you better be close to home. I want to get the mileage back up to 40-45 like stock.
what battery chemistry? lead acid or li-ion?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

How easy would it be to hook my radio to that and drive it from the stand?

I have thought about EV's. My first thought was going with a converted bicylce with street tires and a 1000w brushless motor. Then I became a fullsized sumo guy and now I need a upsize my idea of a NEV. Around where I live there are alot of the MicoBus and MircoTrucks. Converting one of those to a EV would be cool way to rub it in to my coworkers just before they lynch me.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Bob,
That's not a real electric car.

THIS is a real electric car:
www.teslamotors.com
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
How close are you to London? Perhaps pick up a Gee-whiz, with electric, you don't have to pay the $8 congestion fee at the city center, at least that's what I saw on "Top Gear". They hate the Gee-whiz, I think it's awesome. It's even smaller than the Zenn.
meh, about 250 miles. my mum wants an electric one to commute (10 miles ish), but we found theres a gap in the market for what she wants.

and of course we don't have stupid electric vehicle speed limits here, so the Gwiz isn't really an option. we don't have the selection you do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.