R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Stormer's new electric car.

I shake my head and laugh at myself enough over this, I though I would share this with ya. And since this is the "electric on-road" forum...

So, the story goes, my wife is of the mind that it's cool to be "green", eco friendly. I'm of the opposite but similar mind. I also think it's cool to be green, but I'm not afraid to be a bit of a squirrel when it comes to vehicles. it's the "Yin and Yang" of married life. Some of you will know what I'm talking about.

So we decided to get an electric car for a last call delivery vehicle. It's a Stormer Hobbies shop vehicle that will largely take myself and my wife to lunch, Stormer Hobbies shop errands, and take the last few postal packages to the post office, right after the final pickups of the day. We just pop 'em down there ourselves to get a few more packages out that same day.

Plus, really, how cool to be transporting RC cars in an electric car? Seems somehow "appropriate".

So, I'm reading up, find a car we like. We make the decision to get the car. It'll go about 40 miles on $1 worth of electricity, in town driving. We're doing our part to keep our carbon foot print low, slow green house gases, etc. Without going into it all, that's the short version.

We'll... looks like the car's mileage has been cut in half... Seems that full size cars react the same as RC cars when you change the speed control and put in a bigger motor... and put in a thumpy stereo with a big sub woofer...

On a positive note, the car will now squeal the tires... I told her, "it's an electric car... what'd you think was gonna happen to it?

I'm happy, the people in the shop like it, my wife thinks I'm an idiot... "yin and yang".

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-29-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Bob you are one of a kind. I've been trying to figure out how to wire up all my old speed controls together to build an electric car that I can use all my old batteries in. Real recycling. What's yer top speed?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Tech Champion

What no pics? LOL
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Bob you are one of a kind. I've been trying to figure out how to wire up all my old speed controls together to build an electric car that I can use all my old batteries in. Real recycling. What's yer top speed?
All the new laws for "NEV's" Neighborhood electric vehicles are speed limited to 25mph, except Montana and Washington that are allowed to 35mph. I hooked up with a guy that can hack these Curtis controllers. He says with my motor and speedo upgrade, I should be able to pull 50mph.

The weather took a real ugly turn, so it's in the garage here at the shop. It's 30 degrees below zero in Fahrenheit and toss in 20-30mph winds making it 50-65 below zero including wind chill. The little "hair dryer" heater in the car can't cut it. So we won't be able to drive it again for 3-4 days before the weather gets better (5-10 degrees)...

Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

A few years ago, I did an internship at a place that used Segway's for some of their employees to get around the property. I had the same thought, and always wanted to know if I had ever bought one - could I change the motors to go faster?
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Some background on the car. I may be wrong on some of this, but it's mostly accurate.

Some of you guys in Europe may recognize the car. As I understand it, it's originally a French made car, from a company called Micro-car. That came with a small diesel motor. They are delivered to Canada without drivetrain. Re-done with all electric drive, and sold in North America.

The CEO of the Canadian Company Ian Clifford, is a fun guy. I'd like to meet him some time. They haven't sold a lot of these cars yet. Ours is the 4th one in the State.

Here's a fun Youtube video on the car. This video started me on the way to researching this company. Fun stuff. Our car is identical, right down to color, of the one they are test driving. This video is how we knew we could haul small amounts of freight in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M88k6Ipp3c

Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
All the new laws for "NEV's" Neighborhood electric vehicles are speed limited to 25mph, except Montana and Washington that are allowed to 35mph. I hooked up with a guy that can hack these Curtis controllers. He says with my motor and speedo upgrade, I should be able to pull 50mph.

The weather took a real ugly turn, so it's in the garage here at the shop. It's 30 degrees below zero in Fahrenheit and toss in 20-30mph winds making it 50-65 below zero including wind chill. The little "hair dryer" heater in the car can't cut it. So we won't be able to drive it again for 3-4 days before the weather gets better (5-10 degrees)...
What!? 35mph? I'm goin outlaw!
We don't need the amp draw for a heater here, its all goin to the motor. I want to be able to drag race and win. Oh wait, in LA traffic you can never get over 50 anyway. Good thing I'm in SF
Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Not us in it but here is the actual car, all stickered up. I'm not particularly fond of the stickers, but will leave them for a while. Was a dealer display model. He shot us a good deal if we leave the crazy yellow decals on it with his web address and etc. This thing stops traffic. I drive a lot of stuff. Nothing brings more people to a parking lot like this car has. If we take it to lunch, there are 3-4 people standing around it all the time. I think the "electric" stickers on it really make people think. Plus, it's kind of adorable...

20 cases of beer and a box of cereal...

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-29-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I' more impressed by the fact you watch the Rick Mercer report.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I' more impressed by the fact you watch the Rick Mercer report.
I like that guy!

That episode with Prime Minister Paul Martin and Canadian Tire was hysterical.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

"Geez Bob your gonna need a bigger com lathe"
Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso View Post
"Geez Bob your gonna need a bigger com lathe"
OMG... YOU'RE RIGHT !!!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you meen its not brushless ???
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Castle Creations have speed controls that are more than capable of pulling you and the car around. THeir MambaMax ESC can power a "power wheels" toy Jeep driven by a 200lb man...they have video to prove it. All you need is the right ESC from Castle and the right Lithium power and a good brushless motor and you're set...Probably a Heli/airplane motor....Castle can advise you on what to go with...their always trying out things like this
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Bob, we just finished mounting the double pinks for all four wheels and I just got word that you want lilacs instead ?????? Please make up your mind. By the way, what size do you want them trued to again?

Danny said if you send us the batteries we will zap them. Of course, once we get a hold of them we will ruin the electric car industry for everyone....
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote