Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This whole thread has had me crackin' up for days. WE MUST BE GETTIN' OLD When did we get so safety conscious? I've been doing this since I was 13 (I'm 35 now, ugh) and most of that time without the benefit of a reasonably well informed forum of discussion to understand the science and process of this hobby. I can say from experience that far more dangerous things have happened than what we are discussing here. Who here has not burned carpet fibers out of their bearings? Who has not turned their motorspray into a flame thrower, or at least seen someone else do it? Who has not seen a speed control burst into flame while scooting down a traction compound soaked carpet track? Who has not charged NiCd or NiMh at some ridiculous amperage? Hell, I remember the "charger" that came with the early RC10's. Remember that? Forget that it's charging and Oh Boy!! And everything mentioned above I either did or was exposed to before I could drive a real car. Now granted that time was spent in the fine state of Indiana, not known for our physics labs and think tanks so perhaps we were trying some out of the norm strategies, but non the less I survived it as did everyone I have known. The worst I have seen is a burned hand. That was at the same race where four NiCd packs went off, in one day! I thought I was in a popcorn popper I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about safety and I certainly understand the plight of track owners, after all you don't open a track to make money so I'd be nice not to lose it. Personally I worry more about all those cans and tubes 'known to the state of California to cause cancer'. Thankfully Indiana doesn't know much so I should be Okay
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Thanks for all of the information. Atleast now I know what to look for.
Same thing happened with the nimh packs, I always used 5-6 amp charge and then you see others charging them at 7-9 or more amps.. There was no rule about that. Nobody complained about that but was that safe? Walk through the pit at the big races and see what the batteries are being charged at. Same thing will happen with lipo, sooner or later. Atleast this thread brought it out, could of been at the track and the guy next to me doing this type of charging to a lipo and I wouldnt of thought much about it, probably would have tried it too, but now know that its not safe. Its to the tracks to enforce this type of charging and if they dont read this thread or if someone doesnt let the owners know, people will find ways to push the lipo to its limit. just my 0.02....
Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Unhappy

HEY TONY!!!!!! I HEARD RUMORS FROM BROOKS ABOUT YOUR BIG STICK.......... I AM NOW A BELIEVER! I MAY BUY TACOS ON SATURDAY AFTER READING WHAT YOU STIRRED UP! oh and i'll hand over my trophy of 5 years for stirring the pot on the r/c message boards! I'M NOT WORTHY I'M NOT WORTHY LOL

i took the time to read all the replies ....and what worries me the most about lipo is this........

every week i am reading about a new lipo pack and how much better pack A is from pack B........sooo how many of these 125.00 lipo packs will a high end racer need to buy in one calendar year? 3200 4000 5000 C ratings changing.........yeah lipo is cheaper.....WOW!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
No problem as I have been helping out on message boards since 1997 and I understand it's hard to get a point accross by writing. Anyone who would talk to me would hopefully understand my concerns and the reason why I think everyone needs to know about what I have found out. I really enjoy RC racing and I would hate to see it go away.

Maybe you should make some post in french!

Back to the topic of this thread...

-what are the weight and dimentions of these packs, what will fit in the new bread of TC's?
-Is there room to push that balancing port wire stuff back into the case?
-Can the case be opened and closed?
-Whats the estimated street price?
-if fitment is not an issue does one pack put out more performance then the other in a typical 5-6minute run?

Thanks for the info..
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would suggest that anyone wanting to see the destruction of OVERCHARGING lipo packs should check out YOU TUBE. Just type "LIPO BATTERY EXPLOSIONS" sit back...grab a beer...and enjoy the show! Quite a few videos on You Tube on this topic.

You might want to think twice about overcharging these things.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Wires!!!

The barrel conectors are much neater and very nice.
I'm not fond of all that wire hanging off the pack.
Theres just too many wires to get messed up. Orion has the right idea when it comes to conectivity!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I beleive danny explained why he went with the deans pig tale connector, less resistance and stronger connection over the tube connectors.... Im partial to the tubes myself(more pro looking) but i take a solid connection over looks.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
The barrel conectors are much neater and very nice.
I'm not fond of all that wire hanging off the pack.
Theres just too many wires to get messed up. Orion has the right idea when it comes to conectivity!
They may have the right idea from a cosmetics standpoint, but the resulting voltage drop is something we felt wasn't worth sacrificing. Again, it is very slight, but if these packs are going to be raced, every little bit helps. I really do like what they did, however, from a convenience standpoint.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR
every week i am reading about a new lipo pack and how much better pack A is from pack B........sooo how many of these 125.00 lipo packs will a high end racer need to buy in one calendar year? 3200 4000 5000 C ratings changing.........yeah lipo is cheaper.....WOW!
Dont believe the hype on pack a better then pack b. Even if it were the case lipo is far cheaper as you need far less packs then you do with nimh. They aren't exactly giving away nimh packs last I checked.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Arrow Connectivity

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
I beleive danny explained why he went with the deans pig tale connector, less resistance and stronger connection over the tube connectors.... Im partial to the tubes myself(more pro looking) but i take a solid connection over looks.
If you have a meter that can measure the difference let me know what it was. But also concider the four connections using a Deans as opposed to the three you get with the barrel. Every piont presents a loss. Less is more! And a Deans requires more wire as well.... once again.. less is more!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Orion has the right idea when it comes to conectivity!

Someone at my track plugged the connectors in reversed and boom. I would suggest updating the connectors so they can't be reversed.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

is there yet a due date to be released to the awaiting public on these much advertised batteries from SMC yet?

they will be a hot ticket and will they come with the optional warming tray?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default plugging connectors in backwards

If you plug the connectors backwards on an orion pack, the following might happen:
1) your speed control might burn up (happens anytime you hook any pack up backwards and leave it hooked up for more than a few seconds- from personal experience on a gtx, hooking it up backwards for about 2 seconds, no damage done.)
2) the fuse on the - jack might blow, battery is fine, but can't be used. Send it back to orion for repair, the fuse will also blow if you short the pack, this is an excellent safety feature

Since I have only ever heard of 1 orion pack smoking (no fire,), I don't think the pack went boom.

Most people that only run orion or trakpower or trinity, etc- lipo simply put the bullet plugs onto the esc leads. I'm curious if there is more resistance in 2 corally bullet plugs than there is in a deans connector?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

The resistence is in the circuit board inside the pack, not the plugs.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Someone at my track plugged the connectors in reversed and boom. I would suggest updating the connectors so they can't be reversed.
that would be great or the buyers could just pay attention to the (+) and (-) markings on the battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.