Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
linger: Thanks for the info. I hope that heating up the pack works as good as cycling it multiple times as this means we racers will only need a heating pad instead of a GFX or other similar device. Guess we need to bust out the heating pads to see what this will do to the packs.

By the way when we call 35 amps high load it's more than what people normally do to there packs as most racers don't have a GFX or similar device. I hope that discharging isn't what is getting the packs better as heating them up will be allot cheaper and easier.

I personally have not been able to "heating pad" a Lipo to the same temp as a 35 amp discharged Lipo.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Legend

I see overcharging as being unsafe and also something that gives a big advantage so it's best if no one does it but as some of you like to challenge me and think I'm just out to bash Lipos I have to test and give info that proves what I say.

Your right when you say Lipos aren't like NiMH as there is no way to overcharge a NiMH and get a significant advantage. So maybe we can all learn things from this thread instead of assuming that I want Lipos to go away. I just want everyone to know that Lipos or any other battery for that matter will require some type of maintenance to stay at its maximum. It maybe discharging at 1 amp , 35 amps or 150 amps or it maybe as simple as heating them up. Only time will tell as more and more racers use Lipos and try to figure them out.
racer`s R 10amp Nk-Ml & its dangerous

same as overcharging a Li-Po , right ?

both battery`s need safety requirements

and before a explosion decides when ...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default linger

Thank you Linger. Why people don't just follow the advice of someone who is knowledgeable is beyond me. This all reminds me of the story of 3 blind men trying to identify an elephant by touching different parts of the elephant.

So there you have it. If you want better voltage preheat the lipo pack. There will now be a run on muchmore battery warmer trays.

I wonder -> if I got free lipo packs to play with, would I experiment?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can just see all the easy bake ovens at the track this weekend...lmao!! SMC made me melt my lipo...lol..
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

linger: Thanks for the info. I hope that heating up the pack works as good as cycling it multiple times as this means we racers will only need a heating pad instead of a GFX or other similar device. Guess we need to bust out the heating pads to see what this will do to the packs.

By the way when we call 35 amps high load it's more than what people normally do to there packs as most racers don't have a GFX or similar device. I hope that discharging isn't what is getting the packs better as heating them up will be allot cheaper and easier.
First, Rick Howart is dead right... overcharging at the track must be enforced. I would say that a guy caught doing it can still race... but never again with lipos. His punishment should be using nimh the rest of his racing days. Maybe a 1 year ban first offense... life ban 2nd offense.

Danny
I don't have all the answers and have not experimented with overcharging... so I can't say how effective it is, etc....

I asked for the data. What you posted is interesting, but not good enough to prove much.

The fact that you seem unaware of the effects of temps on lipos concerns me. This is common knowledge... as has been for a long time. I question whether SMC knows enough about lipos to be posing as the industry experts on how to maintain them and get the most out of them.

This makes me very suspicious of anything coming from the SMC camp reguarding lipos.

Bottom line... it seems obvious that more testing needs been done to come to any definitive conclusions.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I can just see all the easy bake ovens at the track this weekend...lmao!! SMC made me melt my lipo...lol..
Our local track forum has already been joking about that... one guy even posted this picture of the new r/c easy bake oven

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/LipoBake.jpg

I've preheating my lipos... for a couple years in certain conditions...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Our local track forum has already been joking about that... one guy even posted this picture of the new r/c easy bake oven

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/LipoBake.jpg

I've preheating my lipos... for a couple years in certain conditions...
Despite the topic at hand this is some funny $#@%.................
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

do u think muchmore will tell folks to disable their fans and lay the lipo on top to heat it up??

R
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Company Representative

Never have I claimed to be an expert about Lipos but I do know that treating them in certain ways makes them faster. The numbers I posted prove this and it will also produce faster lap times on the track which has been proved.

Instead of trying to say it proves nothing why don't you try it for yourself all it takes is a Lipo GFX and your all set to test for yourself.

If your goal is to race RC cars and not worry about getting as much speed out of your equipment then you can run your Lipos and just keep repeaking it after each run and don't worry about it. The info I'm posting is to let everyone know that if you want the most out of your Lipos then certain maintenance methods will be required. Maybe I don't have the perfect method and maybe it's as simple as heating up your pack. This is something that will need to be tested. I never claimed I tried everything but I can claim that repeaking your Lipo pack and not discharging is slower than discharging and charging it back up.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

What is the difference in voltage/ir from this heavy cycling exactly? Probably very little. The fact that one of the previous claimed to reduce the pack's life by 3/4 is just ridiculous. With deteioration like that you'll be lucky to not have a fire before you ever get to the 1/4 of normal lifespan. Why am I hearing this from a battery seller? Seems convienient...

A lipo battery should never be charged to more than 4.2v per cell- EVER. There is no peaking, no boosting, no overcharging. Let's make a track by track standard right now. Anybody caught doing any of these practices gets shown the door and banned for a year at all tracks in their area- Totally blackballed.

How about this-and I'll post this on the roar thread because it has been left for too long- What about making the rule that no battery, 6cell or Lipo be allowed on the track if it measures over 8.4v at the time the car is to go to the track.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
What is the difference in voltage/ir from this heavy cycling exactly? Probably very little. The fact that one of the previous claimed to reduce the pack's life by 3/4 is just ridiculous. With deteioration like that you'll be lucky to not have a fire before you ever get to the 1/4 of normal lifespan. Why am I hearing this from a battery seller? Seems convienient...

A lipo battery should never be charged to more than 4.2v per cell- EVER. There is no peaking, no boosting, no overcharging. Let's make a track by track standard right now. Anybody caught doing any of these practices gets shown the door and banned for a year at all tracks in their area- Totally blackballed.

How about this-and I'll post this on the roar thread because it has been left for too long- What about making the rule that no battery, 6cell or Lipo be allowed on the track if it measures over 8.4v at the time the car is to go to the track.
It's hard to do that with NIHM 6-cells as they peak at 9.30-9.50 and hold a 8.60-8.80 voltage at race time.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

this is a question for linger....if we are going to warm a battery to make it perform better, what temp would the device need to get them to and still be safe?
and would we do this before charging, during charging or both. and if we were to follow this advice it wouldnt have any negative affects on the battery life right?
please give us some more specific advice on this.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
There is already a lipo rule for that. It's actually 8.440 to allow a 20mV tolerance per cell. Most chargers are only calibrated to about 20mV anyways.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul

I'm off to "Toys R Us", see ya later.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing
It's hard to do that with NIHM 6-cells as they peak at 9.30-9.50 and hold a 8.60-8.80 voltage at race time.

The way people charge them now they do. If the rules were to limit them to 8.4v at race time then this would change in a big ol' hurry.

When a Lipo is charged "correctly" (1c on a cc-cv charger) it reaches a maximum of 8.4v.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.