Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default greetings..

from Indonesia in Indoor carpet medium size track...all mini cars with brushed Team Power motors and all transmision gears are standard...tyres may use foam...http://img600.imageshack.us/i/s24.mp4/

Last edited by bijono; 03-01-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: http://img600.imageshack.us/i/s24.mp4/
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by martynp
I have just ordered a M05 apart from the obligatory bearings alloy steering and shocks what other parts are people running to improve the car any help will be good as my last mini was an M01. Just so yoyu know it is the Datsun 248ZX I have on order
Get an exorcist in because that car runs on the M-05 short wheelbase.

I run a M-05 Honda S800 on the short wheelbase and it looks ok but it's not the easiest of cars to drive on a less than pristine surface.

If you don't have access to an exorcist then a digital servo with around 7kg or more of torque makes the steering a lot better.

I use a Savox SC-0254MG - it's dirt cheap to buy has metal gears, ballbearings ,and does a great job.

I tried a Futaba S3010 but for me it was nowhere near good enough. Works fine in an m-03 though.

cheers.

Alan
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tdunster
Get an exorcist in because that car runs on the M-05 short wheelbase.

I run a M-05 Honda S800 on the short wheelbase and it looks ok but it's not the easiest of cars to drive on a less than pristine surface.

If you don't have access to an exorcist then a digital servo with around 7kg or more of torque makes the steering a lot better.

I use a Savox SC-0254MG - it's dirt cheap to buy has metal gears, ballbearings ,and does a great job.

I tried a Futaba S3010 but for me it was nowhere near good enough. Works fine in an m-03 though.

cheers.

Alan
I just tested a Spektrum S6000 in my M05 with great result.
Digital and just 29.99 USD.... No metal gears but i have not stripped any gears as of yet on any servo i had!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

This is just a personal opinion, but I've found through experience that skimping on servos is not a good idea in the long run. The servo in my best Mini is a top of the line JR servo and is well over 10 years old. I'm partial to JR or KO servos from my helicopter days for their superior centering capabilities. A good servo will give you many years of service and will, in the long run, be the cheapest.

Have also come to the opinion that a top of the line esc will also be a good investment. The Novak GTS is the esc I've used for quite a while but not being able to change the brake and throttle settings is a limiting factor. Just because the kit was cheap, doesn't mean we should skimp on these two items. I know it's counterintuitive to spend $180 on an esc for a $90 kit.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
This is just a personal opinion, but I've found through experience that skimping on servos is not a good idea in the long run. The servo in my best Mini is a top of the line JR servo and is well over 10 years old. I'm partial to JR or KO servos from my helicopter days for their superior centering capabilities. A good servo will give you many years of service and will, in the long run, be the cheapest.

Have also come to the opinion that a top of the line esc will also be a good investment. The Novak GTS is the esc I've used for quite a while but not being able to change the brake and throttle settings is a limiting factor. Just because the kit was cheap, doesn't mean we should skimp on these two items. I know it's counterintuitive to spend $180 on an esc for a $90 kit.
And sorry to say this AGAIN....

If anyone is going to spend $180 on esc, then why not just run spec brushless like Hobbywing ezrun 13T with 35A esc?
Cost is way less than $180, can get them from ebay, rcmart or even in your country (USA) for under $90 incl shipping.
All will have same power, same motor, same esc...
No more fiddly silvercan! No more excuses about power or silvercan knowhow, no more voodoo tricks, just fair and simple racing!

One of my ezrun systems are over 2 years old, not failed yet and are just as fast as system bought today..

Sorry about reopen this old topic... Just my 2 cent....
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So what would be good metal gear servo for M-05pro?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RossoTorro
And sorry to say this AGAIN....

If anyone is going to spend $180 on esc, then why not just run spec brushless like Hobbywing ezrun 13T with 35A esc?
Cost is way less than $180, can get them from ebay, rcmart or even in your country (USA) for under $90 incl shipping.
All will have same power, same motor, same esc...
No more fiddly silvercan! No more excuses about power or silvercan knowhow, no more voodoo tricks, just fair and simple racing!

One of my ezrun systems are over 2 years old, not failed yet and are just as fast as system bought today..

Sorry about reopen this old topic... Just my 2 cent....
No offence meant, but your 2 cents isn't worth even that for those of us running in the TCS races. The option you suggest isn't open to us at all. The whole brushless/brushed discussion is a bore and has been beat to death more than once.

I merely said that cheap servos are more expensive in the long run. And a good tuneable esc will give you a performance advantage that can be useful in setting up your Mini. I'll be happy to discuss those points with you, but not the other.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Misiek
So what would be good metal gear servo for M-05pro?
Don't buy servos very often, but my last one was a JR 9100s. Plan on getting a KO for my new M06.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
No offence meant, but your 2 cents isn't worth even that for those of us running in the TCS races. The option you suggest isn't open to us at all. The whole brushless/brushed discussion is a bore and has been beat to death more than once.

I merely said that cheap servos are more expensive in the long run. And a good tuneable esc will give you a performance advantage that can be useful in setting up your Mini. I'll be happy to discuss those points with you, but not the other.
Yeh, i have total respect for you and read all your posts.
I agree that the brushless vs silvercan is topic is a well overdue.

Tamiya should atleast listen to racers and spec a BL system (ie ezrun because of cost), after all we live in 2011 and sc is 1970 tech. Time to move on!
Isn't there some things that could be done to influence things? Just look at Australia, they spec'ed ezrun and the class is growing.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

I guess you probably know it,

but Tamiya isnīt fully unaware of this theme.
In the Euro Cup in Germany, brushless is legal for M-Chassis. You can use the Tamiya Carson 16t Brushless Combo, or you get a silvercan out of the engine pool.
So at the time, itīs existing in parallel...

BR,
Matthias
Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

16T? Trust Tamiya to go oddball on a motor choice. Kind of like their backing of 6.6v batteries. Weird.

EDIT: Nevermind. The Carson stuff looks like rebadged Hobbywing. No surprises. 16T though? weird.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 03-02-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RossoTorro
Tamiya should atleast listen to racers and spec a BL system....
I hear what youre saying but........

tamiya dont even put bearings in new M05 kits(except the pro), 20years+ behind the times. Still selling M05 with friction shocks or plastic seethrough brittle jobs !!!!!
"Listen to racers",haha. then why make the M05 the abortion(steering system) it is, when they could have EASILY just made it alot better in the redesign.
The M06 perhaps should of been a FWD, shows they can do something right, if they want to.
A FWD M06 type design would have sold bucketloads.

Tamiya do have tamiya branded BL system, its just far too expensive to bundle into M05
They arnt interested in supporting a cheap(but good) system like the EZrun
Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

For some of those who may not quite understand some of my posts, it may become clearer if you go to the Racing Forum and click on to the Tamiya Championship series thread. The TCS series here in the USA is run by one man and while he does a good job for the most part, some of the rules, rulings, procedures etc. are, shall we say, interesting. If sometimes what I'm posting defies logic, what I'm posting is in compliance with the rules we have to live with.

Also, we have to use a stock Silvercan with a 17,[email protected] rpm limit. This in spite of the fact that the new CS brushed motors will easily exceed that. We use a Spec tire and don't have the luxury of using the 55mm tires many of you can. Life can get complicated, but the life of a USA TCS Mini racer can get well beyond complicated. Not complaining, just explaining. Bad language throughout the USA in r/c car workshops is not uncommon.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I personally think an expensive servo is an overkill in a mini. I choose the Futaba 3305, Heavy duty metal gear and fairly slow. I have tried high end servos in minis and even with Expo they seem to be too much.

On a side not I love my M06, I think the platform has huge potential. The M05 wasn't very popular yo begin with either...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bad language throughout the USA in r/c car workshops is not uncommon.
Hello Bob,

That statement I'm sure is universal. Bad languauge is a common theme, especially with regard to mini tyres and interpretations of the rules.

I have heard some here extol the virtues of having a control mini tyre at events. I do like the idea, however not all control tyres will work on all surfaces. (asphelt and carpet, example).

On another note I have to agree strongly with you in regards to ausing a high quality servo in my mini's. I have found the better quality servos cause less steering problems. I have found this out through experience, as I scrimped on my original servos and could not work out why I was having problems. Some of this included problems with the servo saver, but was predominately the cheap servo I was using.

I now only use Futaba 9551's in my mini's. Perhaps overkill but work for me.

Later,

Calvin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.