Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spudwrench
Hey guys new to the forums here. I kept trying to research parts information and kept getting drawn to this thread so I decided to join in on the fun.

I picked up a m05 VII pro kit the other day and I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could help answer.

Is there anything that I really need to upgrade out of the box that doesn't come with the pro kit?

I also need a good recommendation for a servo / motor / esc that's popular to run in these if possible.

Also what size lipos are you guys running that is giving you a decent run time. I had read that the V II chassis addressed the battery issue but was not sure what size would be Ideal to run on this chassis. Also is everyone sticking to 2 cell?

Ive built a few onroad cars in the past but this is my first M Class so its kinda new to me.
Ya I have a 2 cell lipo. 2 of them. I'm not sure if you can run a 3s I dint think it makes much difference but I'm not sure about that entirely. I don't know too much about the pro v II tho. The guys on here tho I'm sure would have a good idea of what to do. Depends on where you run to? Outside...carpet....driving style. Lots to mess with on these cars
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dig that droop setup, monkeyracing.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

I take it the droop thing isn't for the m05?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sakadachi: it's pretty cool. Not mine, but cool.

Newbie: Nope.

Spudwrench: Sounds like you're not racing with an established rules set, so the safe bet is 2S lipo and something like the Hobbywing 13t combo. Another good option would be the Ttackstar stuff from Hobbyking. They make a great $35 ESC and $22 servo. Motors are cheap, too.

Not sure what comes with the car you're buying, but alloy steering bits are better than plastic. Yeah Racing makes a good kit and its waaay cheaper than the Tamiya stuff.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

Spudwrench: Sounds like you're not racing with an established rules set, so the safe bet is 2S lipo and something like the Hobbywing 13t combo. Another good option would be the Ttackstar stuff from Hobbyking. They make a great $35 ESC and $22 servo. Motors are cheap, too.

Not sure what comes with the car you're buying, but alloy steering bits are better than plastic. Yeah Racing makes a good kit and its waaay cheaper than the Tamiya stuff.
Ya spudwrench I just installed the 3 racing metal steering linkage with metal links between the toe links for the steering and it comes with a wrench to adjust it to make it easier and it takes up SO much steering slop and it's 20 bucks American. .....in Canada that's almost 100 bucks but for you it's cheap lol the link kit comes with sturdier end links too that are a bit stronger plastic than the tamiya one. Im pretty sure that was 3 racing aswell for like 15 bucks. Not sure if the V II has the metal front uprights but those if they are plastic they one beside the motor will bend because of the heat. I have smashed this one up "learning". Metal bearings if it doesn't have em already. And just stick around on here and I'm sure something good will come up that you can use!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Hey question. ....would the Castrol civic vti body fit the m05? It's for the ff03 I beleive?
Old 04-30-2016, 01:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Nope.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Unfortunately the ESC in the 13T Hobbywing combo that is frequently mentioned in this thread has been discontinued. There are other 13T combos from Hobbywing which are pretty similar though.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Ya I have a 2 cell lipo. 2 of them. I'm not sure if you can run a 3s I dint think it makes much difference but I'm not sure about that entirely. I don't know too much about the pro v II tho. The guys on here tho I'm sure would have a good idea of what to do. Depends on where you run to? Outside...carpet....driving style. Lots to mess with on these cars
3s gives you more umph 7.4v vs 11.1v respectively I will probably just go with a 2s

I know it comes with some Alloy parts but not sure have not even opened the box yet. trying to wait until everything arrives first after I'm done sourcing parts.

But no the Rc car scene is almost non existent about for about a 2 hour radius from me. Some guys near me do some off road bashing but nothing onroad. I plan on eventually converting my back yard garage into a track only issue its a dirt floor with old carpet and uneven ground. Plans are to gut it figure out a good cheap flooring solution and get to work this summer and maybe by winter time have a cool track layout for indoor Drift race track.

Looking for decent budget setup so that may work not trying to be on a competitive level and throw expensive parts at it.

Ya spudwrench I just installed the 3 racing metal steering linkage with metal links between the toe links for the steering and it comes with a wrench to adjust it to make it easier and it takes up SO much steering slop and it's 20 bucks American. .....in Canada that's almost 100 bucks but for you it's cheap lol the link kit comes with sturdier end links too that are a bit stronger plastic than the tamiya one. Im pretty sure that was 3 racing aswell for like 15 bucks. Not sure if the V II has the metal front uprights but those if they are plastic they one beside the motor will bend because of the heat. I have smashed this one up "learning". Metal bearings if it doesn't have em already. And just stick around on here and I'm sure something good will come up that you can use!
Ok I will be sure to check that when I start assembly I can't stand steering slop even if it is just playing around in a parking lot.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Unfortunately the ESC in the 13T Hobbywing combo that is frequently mentioned in this thread has been discontinued. There are other 13T combos from Hobbywing which are pretty similar though.
cool I will go check out hobby king and see what I can dig up
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Hobbywing still sells the 35a and 60a Ezrun ESCs, motors and combos.

http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/produ...o-for-1-10-car
Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

just went and looked at the site they only have the 60a esc in stock at the moment but they do have the 13t motor which isn't bad. Was thinking in my head I didn't want to spend much more than 60-80 if possible

can you guys brush me up on motor selection? IIRC higher turns = more rpm less torque and lower turns = opposite but how does the kv rating play into this I'm looking at a few 13t and 15t motors but the kv ratings are all over the place from 3000 to 6000 so not sure which one would be a better choice.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Ok I found the ek HPI civic body for 65 bucks shipped from the UK. Ordering friday!!! RS1 body should be here next week and I'm starting the body work! So glad I found the civic body. Looks like a damn good body!
Ha.. next time you feel like spending 65 on an HPI civic, send it over to me, I'll send it over shipped to you. Ontario isn't that far!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Hobbywing still sells the 35a and 60a Ezrun ESCs, motors and combos.

http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/produ...o-for-1-10-car
Your link shows they're sold out on the 35A versions. A Hobbywing rep has stated the 35A ESC is no longer in production. I believe the 60A one is still being produced.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14498456-post364.html
Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

oops, bad post
Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
Ha.. next time you feel like spending 65 on an HPI civic, send it over to me, I'll send it over shipped to you. Ontario isn't that far!
Hey its better than 100 on amazon. I like the body and something that won't be around much longer your gonna have to pay more for. The dollars shit right now and I can't find em here at all so 65 is looking good lol you find any cheaper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.