Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
A pair of very thin wire snips can get into tight spaces and cause minimal damage to the part of the shock shaft you wish to keep pristine.
Clever, I need to get a pair I don't care about.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You may want to try some of the blue Loctite instead of teflon tape, as the consistency is likely better.
Speaking from experience loctite goes nowhere near my Tamiya M05VII. Loctite most certainly will react w/ the Tamiya plastic. I am not sure if it will react w/ the carbon re-inforced suspension parts ...BUT if you get ANY of it on the other TAmiya plastic it will make that plastic brittle and it will literally fall/crack apart into a ton of small pieces.

I like Sakadachi's suggestion of shoe goo or something along those lines.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Didn't work anyway. Next time, I'll either not tap the threads first, or just stick with the stock plastics. Call this a failed experiment.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

That sucks. Actually the shoe goo idea was Gravity's not mine.

I would suggest superglue in layers into the hole, and drill it using a small bit, but the amount of force on the set screw not sure it will work either. Can you run a bigger pitch screw? Maybe not a setscrew, but just a bigger screw.

Hey, I placed an order for a cheapo diagonal thin wire cutter. Didn't want to ruin my Xcelites for holding the damper shaft.

I should be getting a bunch of misc hardware tomorrow including turnbuckles for my M03's steering link.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've used superglue in offroad cars, works great.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for tapped holes in the Carbon Reinforced plastic you can put one super-tiny drop of CA on the threads to act as a 'lock' similar to that of locking screws... just in reverse.

we also did this on the threaded shock collars before the o-rings were implemented.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

As usually happens when a car makes me angry, the M05 has been put on the shelf, until I'm less pissed off at it. I used to take cars apart completely and stick them in boxes in the RC closet of doom, or take all the parts I needed off to build another kind of car. (EG: tear down the 05 to build an 04) Good thing I've lightened up.

Ran the 03 tonight and had an awesome time! It'll be my go to for a little while.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
As usually happens when a car makes me angry, the M05 has been put on the shelf, until I'm less pissed off at it. I used to take cars apart completely and stick them in boxes in the RC closet of doom, or take all the parts I needed off to build another kind of car. (EG: tear down the 05 to build an 04) Good thing I've lightened up.

Ran the 03 tonight and had an awesome time! It'll be my go to for a little while.
I get VERY frustrated too when a car I'm trying to setup just doesn't work right. I feel like I want to throw the damn car into the concrete wall. but I don't.

Right now I am re-setting up my SabreFD Mini to run with the 55mm Shimizu tires. It ran 60D's SuperGrip on the front and factory Tamiya 60D on the rears before, and it was super dialed in..but silly me, wanted a much lower riding car.

This tire change requires a whole new setup, spent a good 12+ frustrating hours trial and error over the weekend (pistons, springs, diff setting, alignment, droop, weights), got it stable enough to where it built some confidence driving it fast. Still pending a few more springs to come in this week to try, and a stabilizer set I want to fabricate to fit. Once I'm done with this car, I'm DONE with setups, DONE with new chassis for 2016. I don't need the frustration no more!!

... but I will be getting the 2nd BSR M-Rage this week (for spare parts), and planning to use the dampers on the M03..
Old 01-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I too am a perfectionist and feel your pain.
I just restored an original Game Boy ...got it all back together only to find that there is a small piece of fuzz on the inside of the screen. It's barely noticeable but it pisses me off. I used thin double sided tape to hold the screen in place from vibrating ...so have to take everything back apart and do it all again. ARGGGHHHH!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Perfection is the enemy of good
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm not looking for perfection. A single rung above mediocre will suit my needs.

Interesting thing about running laps last night - the track was so incredibly grooved in, I was running clean tires with no sauce at all. Even with glued sidewalls and first row of tread, traction roll was present on turn one, at the end of the straight. I'm impressed!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Same with me tonight, Jim. I ran my 4-wheeler without sauce and it ran great. I also removed many screws from the TOP deck, which also helped. But no traction roll at all.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hello!
Im thinking of buying an M05 mini cooper!
which tire to Buy?
And what options are needed?
Want to ceep it at low cost som we can ride and have some fun.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Callahan_88
Hello!
Im thinking of buying an M05 mini cooper!
which tire to Buy?
And what options are needed?
Want to ceep it at low cost som we can ride and have some fun.
I built a completely stock M05 with plastic bushings and all. For just having fun, the only 2 mods I recommend are:

1) Stiffer diff (check out how to do the MR diff aka monkeyracing diff), it is very cheap and easy to do.
2) Oil dampers (Tamiya CVA super mini #50746) will work, with yellow short springs front, red short springs rear.

My kid drives this M05 and he is having a ball. GL
Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

BTW, on that Tamiya CVA Super Mini 50746 set, you need to buy 2 sets as they only come in pairs. If you plan on using the clear damper oil that the set comes with, most definitely use the 3 hole piston. You don't need much damping on this car; high damping will work against it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.