Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Just make sure you're not removing too much of the plastic. I can usually reuse the wheels 4-5 times before I replace them.

No need to glue both sides for me, just the face side. My track is grippy enough to traction roll a M03 without its tires coming off the wheels, so I think it's fine.

Also when I glue new tires to the wheels, I clean the bead of the tire with some motorspray to remove any release oil from the mold. Then after I apply the ca, I place a rubber band over the tread to apply pressure to the tire bead and wheel lip, let it sit for 10min or so.
I'm almost speechless. I've been posting on this thread for close to 10 years and this may be the worst piece of advice I've ever seen posted by anyone. JC glue both sides especially if you run anywhere with a straight longer than 20 or 30 feet. The tire will come off the rim on the unglued side.

Reusing wheels is okay, but there are rims you probably should not. The softer rims like the Sweep rims, I'd probably not reuse. Certain of the Tamiya rims are substantial enough to reuse. The "foam" inserts like the Tamiya ones should not be reused. The molded inserts like the Sweeps, Rides etc can be reused a number of times. Frankly this is something I don't do, except for reusing the molded inserts. Wheels are inexpensive and cleaning the cyano off is best done in a lathe. Plus you can check them for being true or not.

Sorry, but gluing just one side is just horrible advice. It will lead to all sorts of weird angling issues I would think, but would not know for sure. Logic would tell me it would.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I'm almost speechless. I've been posting on this thread for close to 10 years and this may be the worst piece of advice I've ever seen posted by anyone. JC glue both sides especially if you run anywhere with a straight longer than 20 or 30 feet. The tire will come off the rim on the unglued side.

Reusing wheels is okay, but there are rims you probably should not. The softer rims like the Sweep rims, I'd probably not reuse. Certain of the Tamiya rims are substantial enough to reuse. The "foam" inserts like the Tamiya ones should not be reused. The molded inserts like the Sweeps, Rides etc can be reused a number of times. Frankly this is something I don't do, except for reusing the molded inserts. Wheels are inexpensive and cleaning the cyano off is best done in a lathe. Plus you can check them for being true or not.

Sorry, but gluing just one side is just horrible advice. It will lead to all sorts of weird angling issues I would think, but would not know for sure. Logic would tell me it would.
+1 Glue both sides, and expect to buy new wheels when you need new tires. Considering the price of a set of wheels, my time isn't worth trying to take worn tires off a set of wheels. No ones time is lol. You run a very good chance at screwing up your new tires, when you try to mount them to old wheels.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
+1 Glue both sides, and expect to buy new wheels when you need new tires. Considering the price of a set of wheels, my time isn't worth trying to take worn tires off a set of wheels. No ones time is lol. You run a very good chance at screwing up your new tires, when you try to mount them to old wheels.
Not if you have a lathe. Granpa is right, and I can true and clean a set of wheels quicker than you can get your new ones out of the bag and off the plastic tree. A good strong pair of scissors down the middle cuts the tire in two halves, one attached to the inside, one to the outside of the rim. Rip these halves off the rim (if you're lucky they come off clean) and you're ready to spin them in the lathe.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
Not if you have a lathe. Granpa is right, and I can true and clean a set of wheels quicker than you can get your new ones out of the bag and off the plastic tree. A good strong pair of scissors down the middle cuts the tire in two halves, one attached to the inside, one to the outside of the rim. Rip these halves off the rim (if you're lucky they come off clean) and you're ready to spin them in the lathe.
Thats of course true, and the percentage of racers here, who have access to a lathe? Id say low lol. Sure anything can be done with the right tools, but for most racers, I've seen some bad glue jobs on reused wheels. Also from my experience on the rug, I wouldn't want to reuse wheels anyhow, as with constant knocks on the boards, getting them true again isn't possible. Id rather put my faith in a clean set of wheels.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Thats of course true, and the percentage of racers here, who have access to a lathe? Id say low lol. Sure anything can be done with the right tools, but for most racers, I've seen some bad glue jobs on reused wheels. Also from my experience on the rug, I wouldn't want to reuse wheels anyhow, as with constant knocks on the boards, getting them true again isn't possible. Id rather put my faith in a clean set of wheels.
I agree.

And it's only quick after you've figured out the process. But I always wanted a lathe and it was bought for other stuff. This is just a perk, but I would say with all the stuff I've done for my R/C stuff alone, it has paid for itself many times over.

I would be surprised if you couldn't use an old tire truer for the same purpose which might be cheaper and easier to carry around.

Tamiya wheels are indeed a pain in the butt, they're too brittle. Contrary to Granpa's taste, I find the softer nylon rims much better (for TC and minis). Yes, they do sometimes bend out of shape and get chucked, but you'll see that sometimes even without a lathe (just chuck the rim on a car hub and spin it). I have a few sets of a particular type of nylon Yokomo TC wheels from the late nineties which are still holding up. Little wonder they don't make them anymore.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Lathe is after my cnc mill obsession, hopefully one day I can get one. I finally purchased a 3D printer, and having a ball designing and trying new stuff. I made a few electronics holders for my F1, nothing for my mini as of yet. As I mentioned, I take it from the shelf to the track and its competitive, so no need to tinker.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No worries, you have a closed mind or just lack experience, and go to your own conclusions too fast. You speak about M03's, I speak from a variety of cars. For TC racing I glue both sides and do no reuse the wheels. For M-chassis, and even some off-road, no issue. Also confused as to your question about the lip of the wheel. When I say lip of the wheel, I am talking about the physical lip of the m-chassis wheel.

It is funny why you mentioned 'inexpensive' so I should replace my pieces each time. It's not about the price. Do you think I am trying to save a few bucks here and there to save money? Let me remind you that I play with real cars too. One wheel costs $1K + $350 tires each, where I come from and own several sets of wheels per car. I don't do this to save money, rather I do this for the sake of not wasting good parts.

Sometime I wonder if your comments are valid. Yes, you made me mad. (not really)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Lathe is after my cnc mill obsession, hopefully one day I can get one. I finally purchased a 3D printer, and having a ball designing and trying new stuff. I made a few electronics holders for my F1, nothing for my mini as of yet. As I mentioned, I take it from the shelf to the track and its competitive, so no need to tinker.
Yes, if I had a wheel lathe, that would definitely be better! I can't agree more. Nothing beats using the right tools.

But, I'm pretty good at making the wheels true with a knife and there is already some level of play with new tires (60D s-grip radial) and new wheels. The level of un-trueness is so small, undetectable through driving when comparing new and used wheels.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

BTW, just to be clear, I'm not against gluing both sides of the m-chassis wheels. If that's required definitely do it. For me, I don't need to and considering I reuse wheels, gluing both sides just makes it harder to do. My current track surface is grippy but even so, tires are not getting undone. May not be the case if you're running higher power brushless.

My TC cars were running 7-9turn motors back in the days, so they had to be glued both sides.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Ahh, What you need to realize is, GP's comments and mine are to help anyone reading this on the right way to glue a set of tires. You suggested gluing one side only. This is fundamentally incorrect for almost ALL rc cars in existence. To say its GP's 'closed mindedness' is totally disrespectful. We *could* let any advice run wild on here, or we could consider the new racer who is reading comments on here, and getting bad advice on how to do something. You may also read over the many many pages of information here, and realize GP is one of the main contributors and one very smrt man with it comes to Mini.

Just because something worked once for you, doesn't mean its good advice for everyone to follow. No tire will last more than a few laps, with only glue on the outside, even with a silvercan motor. I am sure a hard kit tire may work for a little longer, but any soft racing tire will come of the wheel due to the centrifugal forces and lateral forces in the corner, and it needs to be glued both sides.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

I agree 100%
Thats a wreck waiting to happen when the wheel pops off
Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Ahh, What you need to realize is, GP's comments and mine are to help anyone reading this on the right way to glue a set of tires. You suggested gluing one side only. This is fundamentally incorrect for almost ALL rc cars in existence. To say its GP's 'closed mindedness' is totally disrespectful. We *could* let any advice run wild on here, or we could consider the new racer who is reading comments on here, and getting bad advice on how to do something. You may also read over the many many pages of information here, and realize GP is one of the main contributors and one very smrt man with it comes to Mini.

Just because something worked once for you, doesn't mean its good advice for everyone to follow. No tire will last more than a few laps, with only glue on the outside, even with a silvercan motor. I am sure a hard kit tire may work for a little longer, but any soft racing tire will come of the wheel due to the centrifugal forces and lateral forces in the corner, and it needs to be glued both sides.
I was talking about reusing the wheels. And him showing complete disrespect for my post about how I mount my wheels, and thinking I will just sit here and get stomped on, that is not going to happen.

Like I posted above, if you need to glue both sides, do it!! From my driving around on parking lots and my personal track, I don't need to. Why make a simple situation complex for the hobbiest that may not need to glue both sides? It's not like everyone reading this thread is all about competition.

I've free wheeled the tires off the ground and even at max speed, the tires do not bulge like it does on my TC cars. And even from actually driving the car, no issue of tires coming apart. Honestly I too was skeptical at first as the norm for me is to glue both sides, but not required for me.

As stated from the beginning, I am posting a different angle for the hobbiest who play with these cars at home for fun. You guys can talk about competition stuff all you want.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

+100!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
I agree 100%
Thats a wreck waiting to happen when the wheel pops off
No wreck to report from my application.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I was talking about reusing the wheels. And him showing complete disrespect for my post about how I mount my wheels, and thinking I will just sit here and get stomped on, that is not going to happen.

Like I posted above, if you need to glue both sides, do it!! From my driving around on parking lots and my personal track, I don't need to. Why make a simple situation complex for the hobbiest that may not need to glue both sides? It's not like everyone reading this thread is all about competition.

I've free wheeled the tires off the ground and even at max speed, the tires do not bulge like it does on my TC cars. And even from actually driving the car, no issue of tires coming apart.

As stated from the beginning, I am posting a different angle for the hobbiest who play with these cars at home for fun. You guys can talk about competition stuff all you want.
Sak
Even playing around in a parking lot the wheel will pop off
just because of the rotational speed and stress that th tire is going thru
And for a beginner that just plain wrong to tell them bad advise
Their whole experience in starting off in this hobby could be ruined by that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.