Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InZane
I like to put some personal touch to my bodies
Come to think of it, I should see if the cross braces from my CupRacer body mount fits my V2 and M05 rear mounts. Thanks for the idea!!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's a clip of the Jimny in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9vsomrsdRk
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
Here's a clip of the Jimny in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9vsomrsdRk
That looks like a lot of fun!

Kind of like my CC01, just smaller.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fatdoggy
FWD = Push, Understreer

RWD = Oversteer
Not always. Cars can be made to do either, though they do have tendencies. A lot of guys I race with use very firm diffs in their cars, tending them towards under steer. Everything else gets set up to counter that - red springs in front, blue or white rear, with sway bar to get the car to rotate. My 04 is set up to under steer a little, with blues on all four corners, but the fine tuning comes down to steering input and front toe. In all cases we run S Grips on all corners, with full sauce rear and partial front.

In other news, I found me a Xevo!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Not always. Cars can be made to do either, though they do have tendencies. A lot of guys I race with use very firm diffs in their cars, tending them towards under steer. Everything else gets set up to counter that - red springs in front, blue or white rear, with sway bar to get the car to rotate. My 04 is set up to under steer a little, with blues on all four corners, but the fine tuning comes down to steering input and front toe. In all cases we run S Grips on all corners, with full sauce rear and partial front.

Jim, prior to running the car make patterns of the suspension mounting X pieces. Those suckers break easily. Forget about the blasted droop screws in the rear and use shock length to control droop. Too many pieces to maneuver.

Other than that, the Xevo never saw a Tamiya Mini it couldn't run rings around. Great car. You're gonna be surprised at how good of a car it is. Just stay off the boards cause the car can be fragile.

I finally gave my 2 away cause that's all I'd run. They were that much fun. It would be interesting to see how fast it would be with a 21.5. Sorry, but I can't remember the setup, but do remember it was on the soft side-------no Tamiya Mini springs.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

I hit the throttle to rotate my V2 and M05 through the turns. That's why these cars are so fun to drive! well, that + the awesome Rover bodies.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi all, just joined and have picked up an M05 Ver II to race. Just wondering if anyone else has noted more understeer with this chassis compared to the regular kit M05?
I'm running LWB, 3 Racing gear diff with 300k oil, 3 Racing shocks with 40/35 oil )Front and Rear), Tamiya springs, (Med front, soft rear) and Ride tyres. (MC38 F and SC32R).
Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

M05 does turn more but to the point of instability without good gripping rear tires.

Your understeer is probably coming from your diff setting and springs. V2 uses softer springs on the front and stiffer springs on the back.

I would try the bonestock setup first and the car will tell you what you need to do next. The V2 is a very easy to drive balanced machine vs the M05. Not that the M05 is bad. It is fun to drive.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

moneyracing, is this what you got? If so, looks great! I hope there is a cover/housing for the gears!

http://www.rcmart.com/blog/2009/10/x...5-new-arrival/
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's it. Had one before. It was pretty good. Easy to build to under 900g race weight and dirt simple, like an M03.

I geared it to the moon once, about 3.6-3.8, and had a brand new, tweaked silver can in it. Very fast, but completely smoked the motor in 5 minutes.

Looking forward to owning one again. No gear cover, btw.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah and you could just about run any battery you wanted. A good friend of mine was bringing them in for awhile and was driving for them. I never developed my own set up, but just copied his. That's probably why I could not remember what it was. Never really worked with the car, just set it up like his.

It sure was fast tho and so much fun to drive. No nasty habits and the car just was just so easy to drive. I've had 3 of them and thru parts breakage and wearing parts out, wound up with two which I gave to a friend sometime last year.

Since they have adjustable gearing the Sonic, Thunder Power, Novak, and the Schuur motors should be useable. Also you could run the 55mm tires of which there is a wide selection.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

That's it. Had one before. It was pretty good. Easy to build to under 900g race weight and dirt simple, like an M03.

I geared it to the moon once, about 3.6-3.8, and had a brand new, tweaked silver can in it. Very fast, but completely smoked the motor in 5 minutes.

Looking forward to owning one again. No gear cover, btw.
Sounds and looks like fun!!! . Loled at destructive test.
I suppose no cover is okay.. ?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks to you guys, I was able to finish my work using the M01 tires and inserts. The inserts were thinner than the ones used on the M05's D60 tires so I was glad I waited for them. This is on my M05 running the narrower 12mm hex hubs.

Lowered to the point the tires are barely at the arches, no rubbing during the drive. I love the look. I took it out on a test drive on my basement track. The tires aren't bad as far as grip goes for spirited runs, not grippy like the 60D Supers of course, but I don't need that level of grip on this car. I just like watching it drive by.

Wish I could find more M01 Rover bodies...
Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Thanks to you guys, I was able to finish my work using the M01 tires and inserts. The inserts were thinner than the ones used on the M05's D60 tires so I was glad I waited for them. This is on my M05 running the narrower 12mm hex hubs.

Lowered to the point the tires are barely at the arches, no rubbing during the drive. I love the look. I took it out on a test drive on my basement track. The tires aren't bad as far as grip goes for spirited runs, not grippy like the 60D Supers of course, but I don't need that level of grip on this car. I just like watching it drive by.

Wish I could find more M01 Rover bodies...
Looks good!

More TRACK photos, please!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

thanks howard..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.