Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

You need to use a foam pillow with those. The little red discs, cut in half (on the thickness) if need be.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
You need to use a foam pillow with those. The little red discs, cut in half (on the thickness) if need be.
Wouldn't a foam pillow make them even worse? If I turn the wheels to the right or left it feels great, but when the wheels get to the straight position they are hard to turn because there is no space between the swing shafts and the outdrive. It's basically bottoming out in the outdrive when the wheels are in the straight position.

It honestly feels like it needs a thinner bearing on the inside of the front uprights. Like I said, I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited by Carnage9270; 06-11-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you're using universals, you don't need anything in the outdrives.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

If you're using the TA03 diff, or the mini gear diff your outdrives will come out. If you have TC style M05 ball diff, no, you don't need anything.

The foam pillows compress. And if you cut them in half they're exactly as thick as needed to keep everything nice and tight.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Hehe, yeah that's what I figured because it's bottoming out with nothing in the outdrives.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
If you're using the TA03 diff, or the mini gear diff your outdrives will come out. If you have TC style M05 ball diff, no, you don't need anything.

The foam pillows compress. And if you cut them in half they're exactly as thick as needed to keep everything nice and tight.
I'm using the TA03 diff, but with it being that tight when I turn the wheels straight I'm not even sure my servo could power through that.

With the universals, you use the standard bearings (1150) in the front uprights correct?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I'm using the TA03 diff, but with it being that tight when I turn the wheels straight I'm not even sure my servo could power through that.

With the universals, you use the standard bearings (1150) in the front uprights correct?
If you're talking about the wheel bearings, they are 1050. This should not be a problem as you would not have been able to assemble with 1150 bearings. The old style M03 uprights used the 1150.

Could you check this????? From the symptoms, it almost sounds as if you're using the splined outdrives from a gear diff. The splines on a Ball diff outdrive is a bit shorter. I have seen people do this before.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
If you're talking about the wheel bearings, they are 1050. This should not be a problem as you would not have been able to assemble with 1150 bearings. The old style M03 uprights used the 1150.

Could you check this????? From the symptoms, it almost sounds as if you're using the splined outdrives from a gear diff. The splines on a Ball diff outdrive is a bit shorter. I have seen people do this before.
Thanks Granpa,

I'm using the TA03 Ball Diff 53267 (it has splines like you are saying, but it's the only outdrives it came with), Tamiya Universals 53597 and the 54177 aluminum front uprights. I should be heading home here in a few and I can post up some pics if you would like to see what I'm experiencing.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've never had an outdrive come out in 6 years of racing, but I suppose it's possible.

Got my Ver.II. It does appear, upon initial inspection, that the old style motor plate will still fit. At least the number on the parts tree is the same. Otherwise, this is another well thought out Tamiya kit.

What I'm most impressed with (in this transaction) is the insane packaging job Stellamodels does. The box was taped shut and the flaps glued down. Inside was styrofoam peanuts and a layer of bubble wrap. There was another, perfectly "gift wrapped", layer of bubble wrap around the Tamiya box as well. I love these guys.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 06-11-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
Thanks Granpa,

I'm using the TA03 Ball Diff 53267 (it has splines like you are saying, but it's the only outdrives it came with), Tamiya Universals 53597 and the 54177 aluminum front uprights. I should be heading home here in a few and I can post up some pics if you would like to see what I'm experiencing.
No need. Usually problems like this are assembly errors. The only other thing that I can think of might be the way you installed the bearings in the tranny. The other possibility is the diff installation although I really don't know if doing this catywampus will result in your problem. When I refer to Right side or Left side of the car, that's the view from the rear of the car, okay???? The outdrive with the shaft belongs on the right side. The diff goes onto the shaft with side with the cap on the left side. The short outdrive goes on the left. Refer to the instructions cause, it's sometimes easy to get stuff upside down or backwards.

I hope your problem was something like that and not some weird one off thing.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I've never had an outdrive come out in 6 years of racing, but I suppose it's possible.

Got my Ver.II. It does appear, initially, that the old motor plate will still fit. What I'm most impressed with is the insane packaging job Stellamodels does. The box was taped shut and the flaps glued down. Inside was styrofoam peanuts and a layer of bubble wrap. There was another later of bubble wrap around the Tamiya box as well. I love these guys.
Lucky, should've pre-ordered mines. Didn't think it'd sell out all over this fast
Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa

The reason I gave the 1150 bearing number is that is what is listed in the manual. I have no way of knowing if that's antiquated or truth because there isn't anything printed on the bags.

Here's a pic of what I was talking about. I think I see why they don't fit.

Where the axle meets the bearing appears to be a millimeter or two longer than the stock one. Is the V2 kit somehow different? I just can't see that.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Question about oil filled gear diffs: I'm sure I've asked before, but when you do a search for "oil" or "diff" it brings up enough results that having to cancel dinner plans becomes a real threat.

How much do you fill them up? 3Racing instructions would allow for some air to be left behind, but other instructions tell you to be sure there's no air.

The reason I'm wondering is the last time I built my diff, I stuffed it full of 500K oil and it seemed to leak from every possible crevice. I'm likely going with something much heavier (2M-2.5M wt) and I don't want to gum up my driveline again.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

I just made a new one Jim. I used a syringe to put some in the bottom of one half. I then put the cross piece in. I then filled the small holes in and a bit more on top of the cross. When I put the top half on there were no leaks or oil coming out. The 500k doesn't need to be full. It is so thick it slows down the gears and give good action. The last one I filled with a knife fully and oil was everywhere. I hate when it gets on the outside and get in the drivetrain. So I like the syringe method now.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Jim,

I only use 300K oil in my oil gear diffs and fill a little above the cross. I used to use 500k but found it slowed the steering down and added wear to the 3Racing oil diff outdrives.

Using the weights your suggesting will give use less steering and start behaving like a spool. Not what you want.

The best oil gear diff I have found is the Top racing oil gear diff for the Sabre FWD car. These are what most are using now. They are less maintenance than the 3Racing product and only require extra spacers to fit inside the MO5, to reduce sideways movement. It also uses blades like the 3racing oil gear diff.

Top Racing oil gear diff part number is PO-SDT114

Not sure if that helps,

Regards,

Calvin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.