Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
So are we. Just as a friendly piece of advice: When offering the "Google is your friend" response, it's most effective to make it a hyperlink, in order to demonstrate your superior Google-Fu abilities.
Wow. So glad that you've taken it upon yourself to be the self proclaimed purveyor of thread etiquette.

No "Fu" intended by my post. I have ran across references to that particular body in my previous net searches.

Apologies to Texas.john if he is offended by my post. You, not so much. I am happy to be able to piss in your cereal today.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

A quck question for the Mini experts, seeing as how there are seperate shock towers to accomodate both the standard and "super-mini" TRF shocks on the M06 and M05(?), anyone have a preference on what shock to actually use? Is there an advantage to using one over the other?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
It's ready
Nice looking build. Just one small suggestion. Trim the body posts down a bit. It's tempting to leave the posts that long thinking it will protect the body. It really doesn't and it makes the body posts more likely to bend or break.

It's always wise to reinforce the nose of the body. Many people will use a piece of plastic window screen and use silicone or Shoe Goo to attach it. Since I hit a lot of boards, dots and other cars, I contact cement sponge rubber or an old TC tire insert to the window screen at bumper level.

Good luck at the track and it's always great to see a new Mini addict.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Wow. So glad that you've taken it upon yourself to be the self proclaimed purveyor of thread etiquette.

No "Fu" intended by my post. I have ran across references to that particular body in my previous net searches.

Apologies to Texas.john if he is offended by my post. You, not so much. I am happy to be able to piss in your cereal today.
Just offering some smug advice. Don't take it the wrong way.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
Nice looking build. Just one small suggestion. Trim the body posts down a bit. It's tempting to leave the posts that long thinking it will protect the body. It really doesn't and it makes the body posts more likely to bend or break.

It's always wise to reinforce the nose of the body. Many people will use a piece of plastic window screen and use silicone or Shoe Goo to attach it. Since I hit a lot of boards, dots and other cars, I contact cement sponge rubber or an old TC tire insert to the window screen at bumper level.

Good luck at the track and it's always great to see a new Mini addict.
Thank you once again Granpa, I appreciate your help and advise! Someone suggested cricket bat repair tape to me for protecting the body! I quite like the look of those rear body post supports like on the M05 RC-mini.net race set up page.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you once again Granpa, I appreciate your help and advise! Someone suggested cricket bat repair tape to me for protecting the body! I quite like the look of those rear body post supports like on the M05 RC-mini.net race set up page.
I have no idea what cricket bat repair tape is. The closest I've come to a cricket bat, and I thought it was a paddle, is an episode or two of "Downton Abbey". The reinforcement comes from the Shoe Goo or the silicone adhesive. Laguna Bozo showed me the window screen "trick". While the screen material gives some support, it's primary purpose is to help you get a nice even coat of the silicone adhesive.

Most tape materials, while better than nothing, don't provide the support the silicone adhesives do. Just cut a piece of window screen the size you want, lay it on the body, then just force the adhesive thru the screen. You use the screen material as a guide to help apply a nice even coat of the adhesive. Smooth it out with your finger, but dip it in "Windex" so the adhesive doesn't stick to it. Trying to freehand a nice even coat is beyond my abilities.

Your reference to cricket bat repair material made me aware that trade names like Shoe Goo, Goop, Windex etc may not be marketed in England. If not, you can PM me.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

that rear support you refer to is made by ride, and didnt really do a whole lot but look cool. for a diy alternative, just get some old lexan from a cut out body and ream the holes according to the body post width and then use some pins to hold it at required height.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

I had not visited the rc-mini site for a number of years, but was a frequent reader prior to that. Since my SWB M05 was not performing the way it should, I took my own advice and started my research at the rc-mini site. Their M05 write ups are just great. Fully 80-90% of the info people ask about can be answered there.

There was one thing that I wasn't so sure about. Unless I read it wrong, which is entirely possible, they were saying the stock steering linkage was acceptable. The problem with the stock linkage is not the amount of "play" but the fragility of the bell cranks. Even the slightest tweak makes the steering go bonkers. Even on that point, they are right, if you don't hit anything.

I'm a big fan of theirs and firmly believe that anyone who has ever built a Mini or is contemplating a Mini project, should visit the website.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks again Granpa!

Re your last reply to my posts, I've seen goop over here so ill give that a bash.

Regarding the post attached, to achieve the 1.5 camber, could you give some indication of the gap between the arms to achieve this please?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Granpa
Start with 1.5 degrees then adjust from there. If the couplers are touching, you probably have too much camber.

This is probably where I got the rep for being not "nice". Also this is not directed at you or anyone in particular. What's the deal with "level wishbones"? Isn't the more important measurement the ride height. Let's suppose you set your car up with 60D tires and made sure your wishbones were level. Then switched to 55D tires, kept the wishbones level, would not your ride height be 2-3mm less????? I have no idea whether the wishbones are level, drooped, or up on my Minis. Don't even look and really don't give a ----.

I'd heard the wishbones level myth when I first started running Minis. Having just come from TCs, I listened to the local Mini "gurus" and dutifully tried to keep the wishbones level. What a waste of time that was. Set your ride height and forget about this other stuff. There's a lot of Mini Truisms out there that just don't compute. This is one of them.

Again, I am not "dumping" on boons or anyone else for that matter. If you disagree with my stance on this point, show me where I went wrong. Been wrong before and will probably be wrong in the future.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks again Granpa!

Re your last reply to my posts, I've seen goop over here so ill give that a bash.

Regarding the post attached, to achieve the 1.5 camber, could you give some indication of the gap between the arms to achieve this please?

Thanks
It's probably between 1-2mm. Camber gauges are pretty cheap and usually someone in the pits has one. I usually set it and forget it. That doesn't mean cambers not adjusted, I just lengthen or shorten the links the same amount on each side. I tend not to get too excited about the exact measurement of the amount of camber, only that the car "works" with the amount it has.

Maybe this occurs only on the Minis I build, but most of the time one of the camber links is longer or shorter than the other. Most Minis are a little crooked, although the M05 is better than the 03.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I want to chime in and thank everyone for the help they gave me with my M05. It had a great day out yesterday. First heat ran the rear stabilizer bar and was on the numbers. Second heat began traction rolling so I disconnected the Stabilizer. Main took the lead and was holding it and the car was handling awesome......till my spur let go . I knew the spur was on its way out and had already ordered new ones last week but they didn't get here in time for the series races yesterday. All night long I kept saying just hold out....and it didn't . But in the end I know the car is handling great and what to do next to tame the traction roll issue.

Thanks again all,
Jason
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey all wanted to share a body with you guys that some of you might like. I love trucks so I was looking for a truck body for these mini's but all I can find were brands I've never heard of until I saw this jconcepts body for the 1/16 traxxas slash. Obviously it's an SCT so it's not exactly what I wanted but I like the jconcepts quality and the price isn't bad, wheelbase is 210mm but the width is a bit too wide which doesn't bother me.

Here it is on my M-06
Jacked up the paint job and don't have a good picture of it with actual mini wheels on it since I was using these touring car tires to play in the street but here it is.

Last edited by Voloc; 07-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hah, Tamiya minis setup for rally with SCT bodies? Should be interesting.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Voloc
Hey all wanted to share a body with you guys that some of you might like. I love trucks so I was looking for a truck body for these mini's but all I can find were brands I've never heard of until I saw this jconcepts body for the 1/16 traxxas slash. Obviously it's an SCT so it's not exactly what I wanted but I like the jconcepts quality and the price isn't bad, wheelbase is 210mm but the width is a bit too wide which doesn't bother me.

Jacked up the paint job and don't have a good picture of it with actual mini wheels on it since I was using these touring car tires to play in the street but here it is.

I like it. How does it handle jumps?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rramjet
I like it. How does it handle jumps?
Actually one place I raced it uses these metal discs in the corners and I was hitting them as jumps with my m-06 before I had that body though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.